Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Oops - scratch repair cost advice

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭

Folks

Was in a car park this morning and trying to get into a tight spot caught the rear side of the car next to me. nothing major done but I left my details on the windscreen anyway.

From what I can see there is a scratch (paint only) along the rear passenger door. Happy enough to cover the cost of repairing this but dont want to get fleeced either. Anyone have a rough estimate of what this would require? Its a grey saloon and the scratch is not more than 12"s

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,118 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

it will cost what it costs to get the door to the condition it was in before you scratched it.

if it was my car id want it professionally repaired at a reputable body shop, id imagine €400 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭kenco

I got photos on my phone of it. Happy enough to cover the repair costs but as I said I dont want to get fleeced either. A lot of people would have looked at it and drove off but thats not me

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Firstly, fair play for actually leaving your details.
    If it's just one panel (the door) then it shouldn't cost much more than approx €250-€400. Although if it's an expensive car the owner may have a hissy fit.

On a side note, lol, 12 inches?!? That's a long oul scrape. Did you not notice/feel the initial impact?

Vertakill wrote: »
    Firstly, fair play for actually leaving your details.
    If it's just one panel (the door) then it shouldn't cost much more than approx €250-€400. Although if it's an expensive car the owner may have a hissy fit.

On a side note, lol, 12 inches?!? That's a long oul scrape. Did you not notice/feel the initial impact?

Yep I did that said I was only pulling in at a very low speed. 12" might be an exageration but its not more that that and relatively small (just like a shopping trolley was lightly pulled against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

quote to respray one rear quarter panel from a Volvo main dealer- 950 euro. Needless to say the car still has the scratch:D will get aroundto getting some more quotes soon...

• Advertisement

Should have mentioned this is not a high end car at all and it over 7 years old. That said I want to make good what i did...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

Cyrus wrote: »
    it will cost what it costs to get the door to the condition it was in before you scratched it.

if it was my car id want it professionally repaired at a reputable body shop, id imagine €400 at least

If someone was good enough to voluntarily leave their details after scratching my car i'd be more than reasonable with them. I have had my car scratched often enough and no record left of liability.

If it was small and if the car was was anthing other than absolutely immaculate and brand new i would feel bad about enforcing my rights to the nth degree. In fact I think I'd probably let it go.

Then again I am very careful with my car, but I'm not a hypochondriac about it.

maidhc wrote: »
    If someone was good enough to voluntarily leave their details after scratching my car i'd be more than reasonable with them. I have had my car scratched often enough and no record left of liability.

If it was small and if the car was was anthing other than absolutely immaculate and brand new i would feel bad about enforcing my rights to the nth degree. In fact I think I'd probably let it go.

Then again I am very careful with my car, but I'm not a hypochondriac about it.

good enough? if someone was 'good enough' to damage my car id bloody expect their details, and id expect to have the car to be put back in the condition it was in prior to the damage, if they have to go thro their insurer so be it. my car is 6 years old but in as new condition and id like to keep it that way!

im very careful with my car and id expect others to be careful with it too seeing as its not their property

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

good enough? if someone was 'good enough' to damage my car id bloody expect their details, and id expect to have the car to be put back in the condition it was in prior to the damage, if they have to go thro their insurer so be it. my car is 6 years old but in as new condition and id like to keep it that way!

im very careful with my car and id expect others to be careful with it too seeing as its not their property

Accidents happen, its the reason why cards have Bumpers, Airbags, Seat belts, Safety Glass.

TBH I wouldn't be too upset about it, scratches happen, your parking your vehicle in a public place. With that attitude your going to give yourself a hernia.

Would depend on the damage, but if it was barely noticable (would buff out fairly easily) and the person who did it left a note i dont think i'd be bothered.

A guy reversed into my car outside a building, just wasnt looking where he was going and touched off the bumper (i was sitting in the car at the time and blasted the horn when i saw him coming toward me!) , tiny scratch on the bumper but erra it wasnt a big deal, the time i would have spent arsing around with money and quotes would cost me more in time than not pursuing it over a small scratch.

craichoe wrote: »
    Accidents happen, its the reason why cards have Bumpers, Airbags, Seat belts, Safety Glass.

TBH I wouldn't be too upset about it, scratches happen, your parking your vehicle in a public place. With that attitude your going to give yourself a hernia.

Would depend on the damage, but if it was barely noticable (would buff out fairly easily) and the person who did it left a note i dont think i'd be bothered.

A guy reversed into my car outside a building, just wasnt looking where he was going and touched off the bumper (i was sitting in the car at the time and blasted the horn when i saw him coming toward me!) , tiny scratch on the bumper but erra it wasnt a big deal, the time i would have spent arsing around with money and quotes would cost me more in time than not pursuing it over a small scratch.

you wouldnt be, i would be, doesnt make your view point any more valid than mine

some people take pride in their cars

• Advertisement

But you do have to be reasonable with people as well. The point is the person could have driven off and left you foot the entirety of the bill. But the didn't, and because of that you should be fair.

I know the strict letter of the law, and precisely what it says, and you are correct in what you can insist on. But life is too short.

Btw my mother backed my car into a wall a few weeks ago. She was dropping it down to the garage to be have the timing belt done for me. Do you think I was going to force her to repair the scratch? legally I could have sued her AND got my legal costs AND made a proft from same, but instead I spent 2 mins putting a tiny bit of touch up paint on the bumper. That is an extreme example, but you need a tiny bit of common sense at times.

But you do have to be reasonable with people as well. The point is the person could have driven off and left you foot the entirety of the bill. But the didn't, and because of that you should be fair.

I know the strict letter of the law, and precisely what it says, and you are correct in what you can insist on. But life is too short.

Btw my mother backed my car into a wall a few weeks ago. She was dropping it down to the garage to be have the timing belt done for me. Do you think I was going to force her to repair the scratch? legally I could have sued her AND got my legal costs AND made a proft from same, but instead I spent 2 mins putting a tiny bit of touch up paint on the bumper. That is an extreme example, but you need a tiny bit of common sense at times.

but thats the point, the problem with this country is that we are so shocked when someone leaves there details that we act like they are doing you a favour. They have damaged your property, they should put it right, it shouldnt be the act of an angel to leave their details that should the norm, not the exception.

The situation with your mother was different, she is family and was doing you a favour.

My mother wouldnt be let within 50 feet of my car, i can just imagine the dents/dings and kerbed wheels :eek::p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,979 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Its a car, its for driving. It drives on roads. Roads have stones, potholes, other road users, branches, dust dirt and rubbish. You cant wrap it up in cotton wool. Sh*t happens. If your that worried about it, dont bother buying one in the first place.

OP Fair play for leaving your details. Yes its not the norm but thats life plenty of people run off when causing these minor incidents. Its not nice or right. but if i spent my time worrying about it i wouldnt go out at all. Get on with it you cant protect everything you own all the time and accidents happen.

listermint wrote: »
    Its a car, its for driving. It drives on roads. Roads have stones, potholes, other road users, branches, dust dirt and rubbish. You cant wrap it up in cotton wool. Sh*t happens. If your that worried about it, dont bother buying one in the first place.

OP Fair play for leaving your details. Yes its not the norm but thats life plenty of people run off when causing these minor incidents. Its not nice or right. but if i spent my time worrying about it i wouldnt go out at all. Get on with it you cant protect everything you own all the time and accidents happen.

:rolleyes: i suppose all your clothes have holes in them and half the walls in your house are damaged too? and other people did it but its fine, thats what they are there for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

but thats the point, the problem with this country is that we are so shocked when someone leaves there details that we act like they are doing you a favour. They have damaged your property, they should put it right, it shouldnt be the act of an angel to leave their details that should the norm, not the exception.

The situation with your mother was different, she is family and was doing you a favour.

My mother wouldnt be let within 50 feet of my car, i can just imagine the dents/dings and kerbed wheels :eek::p

Oh Cyrus, we are too similar!!! :D I'm a paranoid parker!
    I got really annoyed when the local Tubs & Tiles guy ran his trolley into my back bumper, but had to calm down as it is only a bumper, as much as I like my bumper.....
    (They paid for it to be done & my preferred paint shop,without argument I should say) I agree with you that damage should be paid for.

OP You should be able to get the door painted properly for €250

:rolleyes: i suppose all your clothes have holes in them and half the walls in your house are damaged too? and other people did it but its fine, thats what they are there for?

You dont tend to drive your house around where it can get damaged, its not a moving objecy that you are likely to get damage on. As for the clothes remark, thats just plain silly. My point is chill out, sh*t happens. It will cost you more in medical bills looking after a dodgy ticker or a hernia than paint fixing a scratch on a vehicle.

You dont tend to drive your house around where it can get damaged, its not a moving objecy that you are likely to get damage on. As for the clothes remark, thats just plain silly. My point is chill out, sh*t happens. It will cost you more in medical bills looking after a dodgy ticker or a hernia than paint fixing a scratch on a vehicle.

no, obviously you dont drive your house, but you let other people into it on a daily basis, and the clothes remark isnt silly if viewed as an extension of your attitude to your property in general.

if you dont give a toss, thats fine, great for you, i do and i'll continue to.

Oh Cyrus, we are too similar!!! :D I'm a paranoid parker!
    I got really annoyed when the local Tubs & Tiles guy ran his trolley into my back bumper, but had to calm down as it is only a bumper, as much as I like my bumper.....
    (They paid for it to be done & my preferred paint shop,without argument I should say) I agree with you that damage should be paid for.

OP You should be able to get the door painted properly for €250

ah another paranod parker :D i was playing golf sat morning early and i parked beside a mate, not even thinking as the place was empty, get back a couple of hours late after 9 holes and some ignoramus with a beaten up primera had parked in on top of me, and whatever passenger he had obviously opened there door right into my car causing a small dimple, id have a been a lot more annoyed if there was a scratch or i didnt already have a small dimple that side that im getting fixed shortly :mad:

I do care alot about my vehicle. Only bought 3 weeks ago, but i dont allow myself to go mental because i have bigger fish to fry in life.

And i assure you my car is well looked after, very well in fact. Serviced and washed yesterday. :D

Property does not define you, dont let it.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I do care alot about my vehicle. Only bought 3 weeks ago, but i dont allow myself to go mental because i have bigger fish to fry in life.

And i assure you my car is well looked after, very well in fact. Serviced and washed yesterday. :D

Property does not define you, dont let it.

My car is 10 years old, and like Cyrus' - is in as new condition. If someone was to scratch it or whatever, they would most certainly be paying for it to be fixed.

If you have this 'i dont really care' attitude and let people away with scratching your car, it wont be worth much this time next year when you go to trade it in.

The reason my car is in such good condition is because it was looked after from day one and i intend on keeping it in good condition. I'd be even more determined if i had Cryrus' car too.

I know that if i scratched someones car that i would be expecting to pay for it to be repaired. It's common decency, and as Cyrus said, not an act of generousity.

All that is off-topic talk anyway.

@OP - did the paint on the other car break at all or did it just 'scuff' ?

The problem with hitting a back door (or any panel on the side) is that it often requires all the panels around it to be 'blown in' and typically involves more labour/paint etc.

• Advertisement

Seperate - checked it out at the time and there was a little smudge on the rear wing that wiped off. The scratch on the door is only paint (i.e. not scored metal). Its literally no more than a mm or 2 wide. I guess a very thin part of my bumper caught it....

I hoping common sense will prevail. As I said I have no issues putting this right but the original post was to get some info so that my being reasonable does not end up with me getting fleeced.

Over the years I have had enough bits and peices done to my own cars that I have just written off and got on with it but in this case I want to do whats fair and reasonble even if the cost is relatively low (i.e. a diy from halfords may do it)

kenco wrote: »
    Seperate - checked it out at the time and there was a little smudge on the rear wing that wiped off. The scratch on the door is only paint (i.e. not scored metal). Its literally no more than a mm or 2 wide. I guess a very thin part of my bumper caught it....

I hoping common sense will prevail. As I said I have no issues putting this right but the original post was to get some info so that my being reasonable does not end up with me getting fleeced.

Over the years I have had enough bits and peices done to my own cars that I have just written off and got on with it but in this case I want to do whats fair and reasonble even if the cost is relatively low (i.e. a diy from halfords may do it)

Send me on the pictures. If the paint isn't broken then we'd be able to polish out the scratch for a significant cosmetic improvement. Costs would be minimal, assuming the other person is OK with it.

I suppose since we are being a bit legalistic here, we may as well go the whole hog.

a) You gave your details, which was the honourable thing to do.
    b) You are obliged to make good the damage you caused
    c) They do not have your insurance details, or reg number, so ultimately no one can short circuit you.
    d) As a result of the above you have to be agreeable to their quote before you pay.
    e) You don't have to pay if you feel you are being ripped off.
    f) If there is a dispute about it, then you can ultimately let it go to court.
    g) You are ultimately under no obligation to put in perfect condition a 7 year old car, because despite what people say I don't believe such a thing really exists.

If I scratched a car, and felt I was being wronged I would let the other side go to the trouble of commencing proceedings against me before budging an inch or admitting any liability.

I would also suggest to people leaving notes to leave no more than a first name and a phone number and not say something like "I damaged your car"... ideally an unregistered mobile, but that is another story!

g) You are ultimately under no obligation to put in perfect condition a 7 year old car, because despite what people say I don't believe such a thing really exists.

Take a look at some of seperates work and come back to me

Take a look at some of seperates work and come back to me

Cyrus' particular car - http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=62150

Seperate wrote: »
    Send me on the pictures. If the paint isn't broken then we'd be able to polish out the scratch for a significant cosmetic improvement. Costs would be minimal, assuming the other person is OK with it.

Thanks Separate, might take you up on that but I have since spoken to the party in question and they sound reasonable. They dont believe its a big job and will get a quote for it. I have said this is fair once the quote in reasonable. Looks like that is how we will proceed so as long as no one takes the proverbial then thats it. The party was grateful that I left the details but as I told them its been done to me in the past and the courtesy of a note with contact details is the bare minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Well done on leaving the details. It'll come back to you some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

.....some ignoramus with a beaten up primera had parked in on top of me, and whatever passenger he had obviously opened there door right into my car causing a small dimple, id have a been a lot more annoyed if there was a scratch or i didnt already have a small dimple that side that im getting fixed shortly :mad:

Know the feeling, I have the Dent Doctor on speed dial! Well he is a friend of mine from days of old. I've had a bumper & 2 doors painted plus two visits from the dent doctor this year so far. A few minor dimples in the 2nd car that need popping, I'm seriously thinking of buying the tools & learning how to do dent removal myself!
    BTW hope that balloon thing works out! (Only a few steps ahead of you!)

Quick update on this for all the decent folk who posted back.

The innocent party got a quote (and the work done). Called me and told me what they wanted to cover the damage I did. It was reasonable and I have agreed to cover the cost, apologised again and was thanked for leaving my details.

I regard leaving my details in this situation as a given. I was not looking for any moral highground in doing so. For me its a given. In this case the other party appreciated it and was reasonable.

Thanks again for all the assistance!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Jesus i must say fair play to u for leaving ur details on the window. Nice to see there are still a few nice people out there.

Advertisement