Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Owning a 2nd car...insurance options

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

howdy,
    I have an e39 which I love but she's a bit thirsty. I do quite a lot of traveling as work is far away. I was toying with the idea of getting a smaller car/van just for work.How would the insurance work out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

howdy,
    I have an e39 which I love but she's a bit thirsty. I do quite a lot of traveling as work is far away. I was toying with the idea of getting a smaller car/van just for work.How would the insurance work out?

A few people here have said that if you get a second car then it's under its own policy. This means a new NCB, so you are starting from scratch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

I have a part-time trader policy with ARB through John Power in Limerick. It cost €1,500 but I have a few discs and can drive whatever I like up to 3.5ton. From having skylines, etc I found this a more sot effective option. It's also handy because I buy cars in the North now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I think some companies will let you insure both under one NCB but obviously if you have a claim on one, both go up. If you have no named drivers it should be easier as you can only drive one car at a time = less risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

I use the AA for my insurance and when I got a second car for the wife, they insured it on a second policy AND gave a NCB for the wife as she was named on my policy.

When they asked me to prove she was named, I told them I was with them so they already had the info on the computer.

Advertisement