Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

car dealer in Dublin

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

I've got to sell my car and havent much time left to do so (for a private sell). I've tought of getting in touch with car dealers, perhaps they could buy it off me and they could sell it "at their own pace".
    anyone knows such place/car dealer?

Cheers.

ps: I'm not buying a another one, just to precise. ;)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

I owuld imagine that most dealers would probably take if off you (depending on the make and model), but will give you a very bad price for it if they know that you are desperate to sell it

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The gist is that you want to sell a used car to a dealer?
    What make, year, etcetera is car?

Tbh, not likely you can unless you sell it dirt cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

What kind of car is it? i might know of a dealer that could help you. Bear in mind that you'll not get a very good price if you sell that way though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

Think of when you got to buy a car, do you pay the full price for it??

Lets say its €8,950. How much will you offer him?

Then bear in mind that they have to:
    warranty/guarantee the car,
    possibly prepare it for NCT,
    Valet it professionally,
    Service it,
    possibly and more than likely replace tires,
    advertise it,

The on the day someone comes to buy it they will have to discount it, see first line of my post.

Now bearing all that in mind will they offer you a fair price or a bad price, what a car is worth to a business, like any commodity, is not what it is being advertised for sale at. There are so many variables that need to be considered,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Very, very few dealers will buy a car off you if you're not buying one off them - what's in it for them???

You *might* be able to sell it to the trade, but at a much lower price than you're probably willing to take.

• Advertisement

But the OP is in a hurry to sell, so is probably willing to accept a low price for it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With the current state of the second hand car market nothing is selling from private sellers to dealers. Alot of dealers will not entertain buying your car off you unless you are trading it in against something else, as they have enough trouble trying to sell their own second hand stock as it is.

Exceptions are maybe where you have something very rare or unique that demand out strips supply. In any event they would not give you anything next to near it's market value.

You may sell it at an auction house but again you will probably have to accept a very low price for it, add in the auction house commission and you will probably end up giving it away for half nothing.

My advice is unless you are left with no other choice I would hold onto it until at least next year and see how the second hand market settles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

North road in finglas (by M50)... pretty sure i saw a sign that one of the car dealerships along there offer cash for cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Saruman wrote: »
    North road in finglas (by M50)... pretty sure i saw a sign that one of the car dealerships along there offer cash for cars.

One can only imagine what sort of cash offers they are giving for cars though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Have you thought about taking it to a car auction?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

Clean it, take really good pics, put it on Carzone 500quid lower than anything comparible and say you'll accept reasonable offers. I shifted mine in a week that way, well apart from the 500quid bit:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 FDuff

cheers guys for the replies. yeah the prob with car dealers is that even in case they're willing to take it, the price may not be great.

I've seen a car auction site off the Naas Rd, Wilsons Auctions. Has anyone being to one? question is, does it attact lots of ppl? other links to car auctions sites? Tx

FDuff, have pm'd you the name & number of a guy who might be able to help you

Advertisement