Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Woman hit by truck on Kevin Street

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Seriously, why are these threads started?

Do you see a "Car crashed in Terenure" thread in motoring?

What is the purpose of these threads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

tunney wrote: »

Perhaps to remind us all of the dangers out there.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

So people can start speculating on whether the truck driver was at fault, debate endlessly on whether using the word 'killed' in relation to an accident apportions blame. Let that go on for a page or two and we can move on to whether the thread should be locked because it is in poor taste and may be upsetting to the victims family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭unionman

Agreed.

A left turn and bike vs. hgv? It's practically a pattern, not to pre-empt, but it just seems to be such a common hazard, and the most frequent cause of fatalities.

Hope she's OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Tunny, like RAAM says - its a reminder to us, and while I'm aware of the danger's (I'm licenced to drive a truck and have twenty year's experience on them) from a truck driver's POV alot of cyclists are not aware of a trucks blind spots or just do plain stupid things because 99% of the time they get away with it.

But a cyclist -V- truck, that 1% of the time your unlucky will usually result in death, this time the lady survived but we can only guess at the horrible injuries suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I was in Terenure this morning; there wasn't any car crash there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

el tonto wrote: »
    So people can start speculating on whether the truck driver was at fault, debate endlessly on whether using the word 'killed' in relation to an accident apportions blame. Let that go on for a page or two and we can move on to whether the thread should be locked because it is in poor taste and may be upsetting to the victims family.

Yeah, same thing everytime.

And the same ppl come out of the woodwork to fight each side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Best wishes to the cyclist and lets hope she makes a full recovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I don't have any opinions on whose fault this accident was, or even if apportioning blame is appropriate at this or any time. But I do think it's important that cyclists are alerted to any serious accidents involving bikes in our cities. And that means it is useful to have incidents like this brought to the collective attention by means of this bulletin board.

It's no good avoiding all mention of these incidents. They issue they raise isn't just a personal safety issue, it's a political issue. And keeping that alive for discussion on a public forum like this sends a message to "the powers that be" i.e. legislators, bureaucrats and law enforcement officials that cycling safety is not something that can be put on the backburner, but something that continues to be an issue for thousands of people every day.

Even if we do repeat ourselves, bicker or re-enact old enmities, the very act of having a discussion shows that we are at least together in one important respect: we care. That may sound high-minded but it's the kind of thing that affects policy makers, if only because it gives them people they can "reach out to". (Apologies for the cynical quote marks...)

Advertisement