Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crude Oil drops below $127

Options
  • 23-07-2008 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Just looking at the business section of the irishtimes.com and they have reported that oil is under $127 dollars. Thats $20 lower from its high of $147 dollars a couple of weeks back.

When are we going to see a drop in fuel prices.

BBC reported that supermarkets in the UK are dropping there fuel prices by 3-4p a litre.

Surely we have a pro rato reduction in prices as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Happy days.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Noticed yesterday alright that the price of diesel has dropped at my local filling station by 1c a litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Yea, I've been keeping an eye on the barrel price dropping. Last week was the largest weekly fall ever, down 16 dollars. Down 4 more since the weekend. :)

Local Tesco down to 137.9, Esso to 138.9 for diesel, from 139.9 and 140.9 respectively.

Try to update this site if ya's can: http://www.pumps.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

1c a litre - wow - big move!!

Need to find out what price fuel was at the pumps when crude oil was this price a couple of months ago.

Hopefully, the weather will stay good in Amercia and the Middle East will quiet fighting with each other, which should reduce the price further still or at least stabilise it.

Fingers crossed that Russia drills some new oil wells and the Saudi's produce more barrels per day (am not in favour of this last point though).

kluivert wrote: »
    1c a litre - wow - big move!!

I know, its typical, they are quick to increase, but when it comes to decreasing, theres a lag :rolleyes:

Hopefully, the weather will stay good in Amercia and the Middle East will quiet fighting with each other, which should reduce the price further still or at least stabilise it.
    Hurricane season is just beginning :( Middle east not as volatile :)

Fingers crossed that Russia drills some new oil wells and the Saudi's produce more barrels per day (am not in favour of this last point though).
    How about crackin' those Shell2Sea heads and start drilling ourselves :D Read an article in National Geographic, the supply has pretty much stabilized since 2005(consumption = new discoveries), so it would be great if someone found a bonanza - which is unlikely tbh

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

As far as I can remember, when the price hit an all time high ($147 a barel) the prices went up to what they are today. €1.46.9 p/l diesel €1.3 something for petrol.
    They didn't come down in Cork as far as I can see. Maybe soon......yeah right!

cashmni1 wrote: »
    As far as I can remember, when the price hit an all time high ($147 a barel) the prices went up to what they are today. €1.46.9 p/l diesel €1.3 something for petrol.
    They didn't come down in Cork as far as I can see. Maybe soon......yeah right!

It still varied a lot throughout the country. The most I've paid for diesel this year is 139.9. (Kildare)

The diesel price ballooned in May. In April the price was 119.9, on the 4th May it was 122.9. By the 20th May it was 136.9. [ from my receipts :D ]

Well they found Gold in Monaghan, and sure there's Oil somewhere there too.

Watching something on Sky over the weekend about a small drilling company, started drilling in Russia (somewhere in the middle of nowhere) but you can only get to it well the Ice is frozen. But they reckon their well has ample supply.

Id say there loads of oil on Mars!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Car is fairly low on juice, need to fill it up soon. Will i wait another day or two or will i just fill now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

I would say another week before any major price drop in fuel at the pump.

• Advertisement

Car is fairly low on juice, need to fill it up soon. Will i wait another day or two or will i just fill now?

You will be waiting awhile, go and fill it up.

Id say there loads of oil on Mars!!

How much jet fuel would be needed to launch an oil tanker into space :confused::D

There's plenty of coal left, how about steam powered cars again!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Oil has broken a couple of key technical levels and looks as if it can go lower. Hurricane Dolly is turning out not to be as bad as expected. I think also there is a fear among speculators that the authorities are serious in planning something to bring prices back down (what that will ultimately be who knows). I suppose one warning is that each of the past few months we have had decent moves lower only to have it bounce back to new highs shortly afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

news yesterday said tesco and Asda were about to go head to head in a fuel price war !

Now why does that not happen here ? Oh yea I forgot FF are still in government = no competition.

TheBazman wrote: »
    Oil has broken a couple of key technical levels and looks as if it can go lower. Hurricane Dolly is turning out not to be as bad as expected. I think also there is a fear among speculators that the authorities are serious in planning something to bring prices back down (what that will ultimately be who knows). I suppose one warning is that each of the past few months we have had decent moves lower only to have it bounce back to new highs shortly afterwards

Based on that Graph it would appear that it will go back up as people feel that they are buying in at a low price now to make quids in later on. (The RED Line).

Be interesting to see the prices adjusted for inflation as well.

Be nice to buck that trend and prices return to below $100 a barrel.

GF is spending an extra 10-15e a week on diesel compared to Jan 08.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

RobAMerc wrote: »
    Now why does that not happen here ? Oh yea I forgot FF are still in government = no competition.

Lol, i can't imagine our faithful boardsies will come out guns blazing in reaction to that:D

I'm gonna just fill it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Topaz/Statoil/Benchmark Motorcard is 132.04c/144.89c today.
    Will see what it is tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I bought petrol last night in the Texaco Service Station in Rathfarnham and I was amazed to see the price had dropped to €129.9, the first drop I had seen for months, it was previously €133.9 last week in this garage, it was reduced on Monday, no drop in their diesel prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

JHMEG wrote: »
    Topaz/Statoil/Benchmark Motorcard is 132.04c/144.89c today.
    Will see what it is tomorrow.

132.04c cause it changes on Friday nights the past few weeks? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

I got unleaded for 132c Esso on Navan Rd this morning.

First time in ages it cost "only" €75 to fill from almost empty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

If you watched the diesel price in the last few weeks you would have seen the price track the stock market price exactly on each day less 4c.

To explain, barrel at 147 dollars then diesel was 1.43 Euro. Obviously my local garage owner knows a few arabs and is buying directly plus shipping it to his tanks overnight. :D

Now that the barrel hit 127 dollars I expected a drop at the pump but that has not happened. As the hurricane off the US coast approches and investors push the price back up, I expect to see the price at the pump climb again and reach parity with the price of the barrel.

Although this comment will draw out all the people claiming "cost of buisness here is high", I say this without remorse.....Ireland is a ripoff.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Shhhhhh!!.......
    Don't tell anyone...... I'm gonna go down on you....
    ...And you're gonna love it...........
    ........But it's only going to be long enough to let you start enjoying it........
    ....Then I'm gonna come back up again and screw you big time.....

Lots of love,
    Petrol prices xx

kikel wrote: »
    Shhhhhh!!.......
    ........But it's only going to be long enough to let you start enjoying it........

Lots of love,
    Petrol prices xx

While I see where you are going with this I wonder what the mods think. :D

kikel wrote: »
    Shhhhhh!!.......

Lots of love,
    Petrol prices xx

That's hilarious!! :)

(and true :()

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

While I see where you are going with this I wonder what the mods think. :D

I did change a few words to make it suitable for the forum. Hope it hasn't caused offense. Mods please delete if you feel it's not appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

It is a sad commentary on our current situations that I was excited when the gas was only 3.89 yesterday...

charlesD wrote: »
    It is a sad commentary on our current situations that I was excited when the gas was only 3.89 yesterday...

That same gallon would cost you $7.72 here. [@1.30 eur/litre] :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Yeah, our prices of ~$3.80/usgal are nothing to be concerned with, charles. Even if I was paying $7.72 (I came to the exact same number :D You have passed my maths exam) a gallon, I wouldn't be terribly upset.
    I'd probably want something that gets more than 26mpusg, but I wouldn't be terribly upset.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭charlesD

Balfa wrote: »
    Yeah, our prices of ~$3.80/usgal are nothing to be concerned with, charles. Even if I was paying $7.72 (I came to the exact same number :D You have passed my maths exam) a gallon, I wouldn't be terribly upset.
    I'd probably want something that gets more than 26mpusg, but I wouldn't be terribly upset.

Perhaps for you, but for me paying an extra $.50 or $1 a gallon has a real effect on my wallet. I realize that people who have the money think nothing of paying a few dollars more and continue to drive their gas guzzling cars, which is part of the reason our highways are filled with large cars that get less than 18 miles per gallon.

From your post you indicated that it would take an additional 100% increase in gas prices to get you to even consider changing your driving habits and I see this is part of the problem.

In regards to the price difference, they pay a lot more in taxes than we do, and there are other factors that should be considered, so I don't think a straight comparison is really fair. In many ways though the types of cars used, driving habits, and public transportation system of those overseas helps to illustrate the way that a higher gas price has affected the way people drive.

As long as people have the attitude that "I can afford it so who cares" or "doesn't effect me, let me go fill up my hummer", we in the US will have a long time until we catch up with our friends across the pond.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭EternalSunshine

The price will continue to fall for the following reasons:

Price was high to hedge against the dollar and falling equity prices. The dollar is now at its true value and the credit crisis is over. ( the iseq however is a different bowl of fish so i am not suggesting meddling in that quicksand )

A move towards more efficient fuel vehicles and and the introduction of more electric power cars will mean more efficiencies ( scale of economics ) as more oil will be burned in central power stations rather than individual propelled cars.

Advertisement