Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Crude Oil drops below $127

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 759 ✭✭✭gixerfixer

Think it's fair to say that when the prices go up on the markets for oil we see an immedite rise at the pumps but when they go down on the market it takes an age to filter down in the forecourt and even then it's only a couple of cents a litre.Disgusting in all honesty:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭mobby

Shell station on the N4 / Palmerstown Bye Pass has diesel at €1.37 this morning. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,911 ✭✭✭✭L1011

That hasn't been a Shell station for a good 6 months, its a "Discount Fuel Deals". Which based on branding and what tankers fill it, may be Applegreen in disguise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Filled up at €126.9 p/l petrol (Spawell) yesterday - pump prices are definitely falling...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

kluivert wrote: »
    1c a litre - wow - big move!!

Need to find out what price fuel was at the pumps when crude oil was this price a couple of months ago.

Hopefully, the weather will stay good in Amercia and the Middle East will quiet fighting with each other, which should reduce the price further still or at least stabilise it.

Fingers crossed that Russia drills some new oil wells and the Saudi's produce more barrels per day (am not in favour of this last point though).
    Okay, well...in January 2000 oil was $50/barrel. It is now ~$125 which is about 2.5 times as much as it was in 2000. The price at the pump is about 4 times as much as it was in 2000. There's a disconnect that hasn't been caused by temporary events such as a hurricane. The Saudis claim they are making enough fuel to meet demand and there's no reason to not believe them. No one is running out of fuel. Plus, companies are now adding the corn oil to make E85, and even to regular petrol (up to 15%) so it makes even a wider supply.

I live in the US, and I remember "gas" going above $1 during the winter of 2000/2001. 9/11 spiked the prices, but then they went down...and then consistently up thereafter. If it is 2.5x more for a barrel now, shouldn't I be paying $2.50 per gallon? I held out because by me it's usually cheaper on Thursdays. I paid $3.89, and was upset because I saw it a mile down the road for $3.85. That's the cheapest I've seen though (most other places are around $3.95).

I guess my point is, whether it's speculation, the weather, or unrest in the Middle East - there is no shortage of oil, the cost vs. price does not add up, and ExxonMobil's stock dropped 5 points the day they reported the dismal first quarter earnings of $17.5 Billion.

• Advertisement

Its nowhere near 4x in Europe - not our fault your currency has been decimated.

Its not even 2x as expensive here. Fuel was about 75c equivalent or higher in 2000, now its 130ish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Omcd wrote: »
    Filled up at €126.9 p/l petrol (Spawell) yesterday - pump prices are definitely falling...

Ah cock! I got petrol on Wednesday at the Tesco station at Dundrum for €1.31 a litre. I was done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

MYOB wrote: »
    Its nowhere near 4x in Europe - not our fault your currency has been decimated.

Its not even 2x as expensive here. Fuel was about 75c equivalent or higher in 2000, now its 130ish.
    The currency situation has actually helped the US economy...it makes it easier for them to export from here.

...I guess I never thought about prices back there...I figured since oil is traded using US currency, it would be all the same.

Whoops

There are a lot of Boardsies on here that live in the US though...
    I guess I just don't really know what to think anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭BigglesMcGee

http://www.motorcard.ie/prices_this_week.php

Not the best price out there.

Are there any other fuel cards that are better value?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Just got a price update for tomorrow there now - 127.50 petrol / 139.90 diesel.

Saturday afternnoon and it still says 132.04c/144.89c on the website. I'd check with them before buying any fuel. The SMS message could easily be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Spoke to an Esso employee last night, they buy 4 months in advance.. he said it'll go down and up and down again around Dec according to what they've bought.

JHMEG wrote: »
    Saturday afternnoon and it still says 132.04c/144.89c on the website. I'd check with them before buying any fuel. The SMS message could easily be wrong.

Doubt they're open on a weekend to check with though. SMS specifically said "Buy tomorrow! *Next week's prices: Petrol: 127.50 & Diesel: 139.90" and was sent at 10:56 yesterday. Slightly major and dodgy mistake to make if it was a mistake!

Doubt they're open on a weekend to check with though. SMS specifically said "Buy tomorrow! *Next week's prices: Petrol: 127.50 & Diesel: 139.90" and was sent at 10:56 yesterday. Slightly major and dodgy mistake to make if it was a mistake!
    Well the SMS and the website can't both be right, so it's a major c0ck up already.

Well the SMS and the website can't both be right, so it's a major c0ck up already.

And the dates on the website are current too.

Anyone who has bought perol based on texts should check the history if you ask me. You may have been paying more than you thought all along.

MarkN wrote: »
    Spoke to an Esso employee last night, they buy 4 months in advance.. he said it'll go down and up and down again around Dec according to what they've bought.

I think its slightly more complicated than that. There is no way they bought 4 months worth of fuel at one price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 del1

Just filled up with Diesel in Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny and it is now down to
    133.9/ L for Diesel. That is a drop of 4 or 5 cent since last week. I hope it keeps falling

Just got a price update for tomorrow there now - 127.50 petrol / 139.90 diesel.
    They're still at it. Prices are the same but the dates have changed!?!? WTF

Fuelcard Price to 07/08/08: 127.50c/139.90c

This week's price only changed on the website on Monday, despite it saying the price applied Thursday to Thursday

They're still at it. Prices are the same but the dates have changed!?!? WTF

Fuelcard Price to 07/08/08: 127.50c/139.90c

This week's price only changed on the website on Monday, despite it saying the price applied Thursday to Thursday

I dont use the Benchmark card anymore. Im now convinced that they mess up the dates so you dont know what price you're paying.

I wouldnt be happy if i paid for their premium text service at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I paid 1.25.9 for petrol in cork city last night.(bishops town)
    7 cent a litre cheaper then it was at the same station 2 weeks ago.

Benchmark text for the next week (whatever dates that actually is!) - 125.96 petrol 137.19 diesel.

• Advertisement

Benchmark text for the next week (whatever dates that actually is!) - 125.96 petrol 137.19 diesel.

How do you know what price you're REALLY paying for your petrol before you fill up? The text price or the website price. And havent they been chageing you for these texts - but they are not really any good to you because of their poor organization.

I'm getting the texts free due to the group scheme I'm in.

I also either use about a tank a week or three tanks in a day and would rarely fill up on the Saturdays that the texts claim the changeover is on at the moment. But I also keep the receipts and texts (I've every text I've received sine 2006 on my phone!) so might do a bit of geekery and work out that I've not been overcharged...

I'm getting the texts free due to the group scheme I'm in.

I also either use about a tank a week or three tanks in a day and would rarely fill up on the Saturdays that the texts claim the changeover is on at the moment. But I also keep the receipts and texts (I've every text I've received sine 2006 on my phone!) so might do a bit of geekery and work out that I've not been overcharged...

Let us know what you find. I've always just trusted the website. Sorry i did now, because something is amiss

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

ronoc wrote: »
    I think its slightly more complicated than that. There is no way they bought 4 months worth of fuel at one price.
    I don't think he said they bought 4 months worth, only that they buy 4 months in advance. Presumably they are buying futures contracts on a rolling basis?

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Would be nice to see it go below the $100, a psychological barrier.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,556 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Would be nice to see it go below the $100, a psychological barrier.

Got this from Examiner.ie just now :P
    US light crude was trading 20 cents lower at $124.90 in early afternoon trade yesterday, while London Brent crude rose 14 cents to $124.32.

Some oil experts are predicting oil will fall to between $85 and $100 as the global economic slowdown improves and demand eases.

Others argue that the pressure on supplies from fast growing economies like China and India will ensure the supply/demand balance will stay precarious, even if the West experiences a sharp easing in economic growth.

Geopolitical uncertainties and demand underpinned by the emerging economies suggest the price of oil will stay above $100, experts say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

Wow under $100 a barrel. That would be nice. Back to normal fuel prices.

If oil prices fall further it will help inflation and energy prices.

If oil falls below $100 a barrel I wonder will the energy companies reduce their charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

well for the amount that the barrel of oil has dropped by its not been passed onto the consumer at the forecourts and in the home heating tanks? Thats my opinion anyhow? Wonder if anyone can say how much was a litre of fuel when the price of a barrel was 119$ as it was going up? Fuel here in Mayo hasnt dropped much at since the decline in the price of a barrel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

snaps wrote: »
    Wonder if anyone can say how much was a litre of fuel when the price of a barrel was 119$ as it was going up?

That was early May, so dig out your receipts :)

I have a receipt dated 4th May where diesel was 119.9/litre in local Esso station. It's 138.9 in said station today.

Advertisement