Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Different EU sign on number plate?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Alun wrote: »
    It was more due to the fact that when these things were first introduced in Britain (in 1910) there was actually no such thing as the UK :)

Oh yes there was, it was just a slightly larger UK, since it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as Well As The Rest of Those Rebellious Taigs Down South.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Zube wrote: »
    Oh yes there was, it was just a slightly larger UK, since it was the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland as Well As The Rest of Those Rebellious Taigs Down South.
    I'd always thought the term "United Kingdom" only came into usage later on, i.e. after the formation of NI, but it seems it was used before that. Didn't know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alun wrote: »
    I'd always thought the term "United Kingdom" only came into usage later on, i.e. after the formation of NI, but it seems it was used before that. Didn't know that.

Term came in to use in 1707 with the Uniting of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MYOB wrote: »
    Term came in to use in 1707 with the Uniting of the Kingdoms of England and Scotland.
    Officially, yes with the original Act of Union, but I doubt if it was a term that was in "common usage", as it were, back in 1910 or even before that and so wouldn't have made much sense (especially to foreigners) on the back of a car travelling abroad.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,921 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Definately in common use through the world in the 1800s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac 79

benifa wrote: »
    I've seen a VW Golf GTI going around Waterford with an Irish reg, but in German style (including the D in place of IRL), just wondered if it was legal or if the owner was just chancing it.
    QUOTE]

I've just seen the seen plate's today, a black golf in cork. it almost looked irish it was a 08 and had a red dot on it. i thought the german's had changed plate's i was checking online and saw this. if only i checked which side the driver was at, i was folling it for long enough

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement