Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Builder - Need Advice before Parts Order (Please?!)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

All looks pretty good angus. I'd say go for the cheaper ram - the more expensive stuff is the same chips overclocked - you could do that yourself for free if you're inclined.

You may need to pay attention to cable lengths - that case is very big and has an unusual layout. It's a lovely piece of kit though.

"Vista Home Premium 64bit" I don't like any part of that phrase. I'm still not sure about 64 bit. I'm not too keen on vista either, but that's just personal preferance at this point - it's not as bad as it was when it was released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Since sp1 vista will decimate xp. Also you will need a 64bit os if you want to see and use all of that ram. Personally i find it great, not had any problems with it that i was not able to sort myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 angusweb

thank you both for your replies. I think I'll go for the cheaper RAM alright. Not sure about overclocking at this stage but I may be persuaded later on!

64bit Vista is a tricky one alright...might do a bit more research into that before I decide fully.

I posted this same question over on Tom's Hardware and they suggest going for a XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler rather than the Freezer Pro. Problem is that E-Buyer don't sell it. What do you guys think, will it make that much difference over and above the freezer pro if I'm not doing any hardcore overclocking? I know that the 4850 runs quite hot and expels air into the case rather than out the back is the only thing.

They also suggested saving some money and going for a GA-P35 mobo instead of the ASUS P45. Any thoughts on that? I had a hard time deciding on that motherboard in the first place and thought I'd got a good balance between price/performance i.e. not the best and not the worst. I like the fact that it has an e-sata port for my external hard drive.

thanks for all the help so far!

Advertisement