Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam 2008 Spoilers

• 23-07-2008 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭

WWE Championship Match
    Triple H (c) vs. The Great Khali

ECW Championship Match
    Mark Henry vs. Matt Hardy

Hell In A Cell Match
    The Undertaker vs. Edge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

There's no emoticon for the rage i'm feeling about the wwe title match.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its a way for Hunter to look good and retain while not hurting anyone anybody cares about. Also as someone else pointed out in the SD thread the rumour is that Batista vs Cena will also be on the card aswell as a WHC match between maybe Jericho and CM Punk.

Hell in a Cell Edge vs Undertaker is a huge draw title or no title
    Cena vs Batista will sell quite well even without the strap

The two title matches might not be the biggest draw but will add to the PPV's appeal as Punk vs Jericho should be good and would be expected to have some great promo's building the PPV, and like it or not HHH has loads of fans and Khali's monsterous size is an easy selling point.

*Obviously the rumoured Raw matches might not come to pass but the rumoured EC seems to be out the window as a HIAC and a EC arent going to bothe be hanging above the ring at SummerSlam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

TBH, I can't believe they are using Cena vs. Batista now. They could finally use some long term booking and have their WM main event planned well ahead in advance and could easily get a great storyline together, but no, they look like they're going to blow their biggest unused match with a 3 week build up as the 3rd or 4th match on the card. Insanity.

As long as the Miz and Morrison get a chance to regain their titles on the PPV I'd be happy. Would also like to see Bourne make an appearance, maybe in an interpromotional match against Rey. Could draw numbers for ECW

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

its a way for Hunter to look good and retain while not hurting anyone anybody cares about. Also as someone else pointed out in the SD thread the rumour is that Batista vs Cena will also be on the card aswell as a WHC match between maybe Jericho and CM Punk.

Hell in a Cell Edge vs Undertaker is a huge draw title or no title
    Cena vs Batista will sell quite well even without the strap

i think that is why they decided to have such a sh!t main event (it will be sh!t) its a way to make sure no limelight is stolen from the real main event-HIAC!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Am i the only one who is hoping for the two matches to somehow come together for a multi-person HIAC?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

I praying for CM Punk V Y2J for the WWE title

When is Orton returning? Before or after Summerslam?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

JP Liz wrote: »
    I praying for CM Punk V Y2J for the WWE title

It is too soon

HBK isnt really injured

rovert wrote: »
    It is too soon

HBK isnt really injured

therefore thats how CM Punk retains, HBK interferance good auld WWE.

and sure while were at it why not have Ortan return at Summerslam interfering in Cena vs Batista to form Evolution-lite.

therefore thats how CM Punk retains, HBK interferance good auld WWE.

and sure while were at it why not have Ortan return at Summerslam interfering in Cena vs Batista to form Evolution-lite.

Meanwhile back on earth

Am i the only one who is hoping for the two matches to somehow come together for a multi-person HIAC?
    quite possibly you're the only person in the world to think that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Im changing my mind about there being an elimination chamber match.:o

Meanwhile back on earth

so without the :rolleyes: it really is impossible on a forum to tell when someones being sarcastic. The amount of DQ finishes the WWE are doing at the moment is just over the top especially JBL interrupting a pin one, combine that with how much emphasis they are putting on HBK's injury to get Jericho over as a heel and it might make sense if HBK is off tv for a few weeks but Interupts in the title match at SS (if that is the match), hell it would even tie in with the way the WWE have thus far booked CM Punks title reign.

so without the :rolleyes: it really is impossible on a forum to tell when someones being sarcastic. The amount of DQ finishes the WWE are doing at the moment is just over the top especially JBL interrupting a pin one, combine that with how much emphasis they are putting on HBK's injury to get Jericho over as a heel and it might make sense if HBK is off tv for a few weeks but Interupts in the title match at SS (if that is the match), hell it would even tie in with the way the WWE have thus far booked CM Punks title reign.

Im not being sarcastic, what you are saying is incredibly dumb. As I said before it is too early for Punk/Jericho on a PPV as neither are established main eventers. Not to mention Jericho/HBK will happen at Summerslam. THEY'VE BEEN BUILDING TO IT SINCE THE NIGHT AFTER WRESTLEMANIA!

Thats an awsome point, makes perfect sense

Thats an awsome point, makes perfect sense

Yeah save the blow off to a major feud building for months and months for ****ing Unforgiven, not your second biggest show of the year, Summerslam.

um i was the one being sarcastic (not "incredibly dumb") Rovert thats why I pointed it out in the next post saying that without the rolleyes you didnt notice and therefore made your initial comment.

um i was the one being sarcastic (not "incredibly dumb") Rovert thats why I pointed it out in the next post saying that without the rolleyes you didnt notice and therefore made your initial comment.

You werent specfic in who was the one being sarcastic, you or me. There was no internal sarcasm in what your said either. Just be clearer in what you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

its a way for Hunter to look good and retain while not hurting anyone anybody cares about.

And keep Edge out of the title picture. So much for that great HHH/Edge feud people were hoping for.

"BOW DOWN TO THE...BOW DOWN TO THE KING!"

Will be interesting though to see if SuperHunter can get as good a match out of Khali as Cena did.

Edge vs Taker in a Cell pisses me off. If Undertaker beats him I'll be very disappointed. Seems to me that since Edge was put over by Taker he's taken a few steps back. I wish they'd get behind him.

Khali has never had a good match ever. The high point of his wwe career has been shouting at a phone.

DRakE wrote: »
    Khali has never had a good match ever

Not true HBK, Cena & Undertaker (once) had decent matches with him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Rovert is right but he will never have a four star match cuz his best day would be a 3 star.

Rovert is right but he will never have a four star match cuz his best day would be a 3 star.

LOL stars

I disagree **7/8 at best.

What's everyones beef with Khali?

He is a monster, and he plays it well. He gets booked into a match where people would usually say "That big guy should just be throwing the smaller guys around", and thats what he does.

Granted, he isnt the best technical wrestler, or he hasnt gotten an ensemble of moves like other guys, but he plays his part well i think.

Having him in the title picture is a bit of a cop out, mainly because it never goes anywhere, if they put him in an interesting story once in a while it might change things?

slowest headbutts, worst ****ing hand slap/chop to the head, slowest everything ever, he's slow and ****

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,179 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

if they have Cena vs Batista then unfortunately JBL is left without facing anyone so wouldnt be suprised if we get JBL vs Punk instead of Y2J. unless its a triple threat with JBL/Y2J/Punk which wouldnt be that great since JBL is involved. i would love a ladder match with Y2J and HBK

if they have Cena vs Batista then unfortunately JBL is left without facing anyone so wouldnt be suprised if we get JBL vs Punk instead of Y2J. unless its a triple threat with JBL/Y2J/Punk which wouldnt be that great since JBL is involved. i would love a ladder match with Y2J and HBK

Y2J/HBK WILL HAPPEN AT SUMMERSLAM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

And keep Edge out of the title picture. So much for that great HHH/Edge feud people were hoping for.

"BOW DOWN TO THE...BOW DOWN TO THE KING!"

Will be interesting though to see if SuperHunter can get as good a match out of Khali as Cena did.

Here we go again! The monthly HHH from MNG after the PPV! The funny thing is, had he dropped the belt to Edge, you'd still be complaining about HHH having another title reign his way. So either way, you'll never be happy until HHH is dead. ;)
    Edge vs Taker in a Cell pisses me off. If Undertaker beats him I'll be very disappointed. Seems to me that since Edge was put over by Taker he's taken a few steps back. I wish they'd get behind him.

I can't disagree here alright, then, maybe then you'll get my point about Taker being as bad!

The way i can see it going, HHH could be going for a heel turn (which would be a disaster for Edge, ultimately. And if Taker ends back on SD, it could be HHH/Taker? Been quite a while since they were involved in a match, KOTR 2002? I don't believe they've had a match on PPV since (due to being on seperate brands the entire time).

VR!

Here we go again! The monthly HHH from MNG after the PPV! The funny thing is, had he dropped the belt to Edge, you'd still be complaining about HHH having another title reign his way. So either way, you'll never be happy until HHH is dead. ;)

Hold on, in a podcast a while back you said yourself you'd be pissed off if HHH was going to kill off Edge's momentum. That's precisely what has happened.

I actually would have been fine with Triple H beating Edge if it was the beginning of a feud between the two and if it meant Edge would ultimately get the rub down the line. It seems however that Edge has been brushed aside and Khali is next on SuperHunter's hitlist.

Michaels is putting guys over, Cena is putting guys over, Taker has put Edge over (although I'll be pissed off if he takes his win back), I just want to see Triple H putting guys over.

In my opinion Triple H should be the Shawn Michaels of Smackdown. Outside the main event and helping elevate talent. He doesn't need the belt. Unfortunately he does want it.

Also is Taker back on Smackdown now then? Very poor if that's the case. I thought the storyline was he was driven off the show?

Hold on, in a podcast a while back you said yourself you'd be pissed off if HHH was going to kill off Edge's momentum. That's precisely what has happened.

I feared for it, and the inevitable happened. I'm not surprised by it, hence why i'm not entirely pissed off by it. I'm actually grateful that he wasnt entirely killed and then buried by it.
    I actually would have been fine with Triple H beating Edge if it was the beginning of a feud between the two and if it meant Edge would ultimately get the rub down the line. It seems however that Edge has been brushed aside and Khali is next on SuperHunter's hitlist.

I can't disagree there only for the fact that at least Edge wasn't totally buried, i wouldn't be surprised if that feud resurfaces, in fact i'm dead certain of it. Since the brand split in 2002, the feuds repeat themselves every couple of months. It'll be a case of time will tell.
    Michaels is putting guys over, Cena is putting guys over, Taker has put Edge over (although I'll be pissed off if he takes his win back), I just want to see Triple H putting guys over.

If he put Edge over, and Edge won the belt, you'd still complain that it's preparation for another title win to add to his list. C'mon man, admit it.
    In my opinion Triple H should be the Shawn Michaels of Smackdown. Outside the main event and helping elevate talent. He doesn't need the belt. Unfortunately he does want it.

Now i'm scared because i do agree with this. Flair wasn't getting a load of world title wins from 2003 to 2008 for that same reason, he didn't need it. But it's not about the belt or the reputation of it. It's all about the money that comes with it, and to be honest, a lot of people would be in the same situation of wanting to hold on to the belt, like MegaCena's stupidly long length of time with the belt between 2006-2007. Ok, he dropped it once or twice for tiny periods of time, but you get my point. When you have that belt, you make the most money.
    Also is Taker back on Smackdown now then? Very poor if that's the case. I thought the storyline was he was driven off the show?

That's not fact dude, that was mere speculation on my part. However it wouldn't surprise me, there's zero talent on RAW for him to work with.

VR!

• Advertisement

If he put Edge over, and Edge won the belt, you'd still complain that it's preparation for another title win to add to his list. C'mon man, admit it.

Not if he moved out of the title frame I wouldn't. The trouble is he's always there every January unless he's injured.

I think he can be a major asset to the WWE depending on how he's utilised. Same with JBL. Same with Undertaker. However if they want to build for the future I think they need to move away from these guys. I accept their attempts to do this have encountered problems with the likes of Kennedy and Jeff, but the fact is the way things are going we could see in the very near future JBL and Triple H holding the two world titles. It's like 2005 all over again.

I actually think we agree on this more than we differ.

the fact is the way things are going we could see in the very near future JBL and Triple H holding the two world titles. It's like 2005 all over again.

What?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

yes, yes you are!! :pac:

Not if he moved out of the title frame I wouldn't. The trouble is he's always there every January unless he's injured.

I'm not so sure... alright, he was against Cena at Mania 22, and HHH put him over in that, i'm not too sure if HHH would have been booked to get that win back at 23 had he not been injured. Given the momentum Cena had, it would have made more sense to keep the strap on Cena. That's just my thinking though.
    I think he can be a major asset to the WWE depending on how he's utilised. Same with JBL. Same with Undertaker. However if they want to build for the future I think they need to move away from these guys. I accept their attempts to do this have encountered problems with the likes of Kennedy and Jeff, but the fact is the way things are going we could see in the very near future JBL and Triple H holding the two world titles. It's like 2005 all over again.

We're gonna disagree with this next statement, i know you're not a huge fan of HHH's ring work at the moment, but good god, JBL is bloody horrible as it is, at least HHH is capable of having a good match. JBL has yet to prove that to me since he came back to the ring! He was never that good before he initially retired in the first place.

I will agree however, that they do need to build new stars, and they need to do it fast. They did it with Edge a couple of years back, but they needed to do it with others. They threw all their eggs in one basket with Jeff and Orton, and i don't feel f*cking sorry for them because they knew how unpredictable both those guys could be. Granted Orton copped himself on, and unfortunately when he did, he was injured afterwards.

I think you're right. As much as i enjoy watching HHH matches, he doesn't need the belt, and honestly, he doesn't exactly need the f*cking money either! That said, i'd sooner see HHH hogging the title picture than CP Munk or JBL, or MEGACena.

VR!

yes, yes you are!! :pac:

Seconded or thirded... That six man hell in the cell at Armageddon 2000 was bloody dire, there's a reason why there hasn't been a hell in the cell with more than two people since, go fig!

VR!

Seconded or thirded... That six man hell in the cell at Armageddon 2000 was bloody dire, there's a reason why there hasn't been a hell in the cell with more than two people since, go fig!

VR!

Ok, I'll take that with a good attitude.

I thought that in this day and age it might've been booked, promoted and worked better, but maybe not..... :o

• Advertisement

Ok, I'll take that with a good attitude.
    Please do, as that was how it was intended. (I'm not a complete c*nt y'know ;) )
    I thought that in this day and age it might've been booked, promoted and worked better, but maybe not..... :o

Given that storylines and ratings were better in 2000 and the roster was a lot more talented than they are now, if it didn't work then, it has less of a chance of working now, i reckon.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,164 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

I think he can be a major asset to the WWE depending on how he's utilised. Same with JBL. Same with Undertaker. However if they want to build for the future I think they need to move away from these guys. I

To be fair on the so called older guys they do put people over...
    Michaels put over Jeff, Batista, Y2J and Kennedy clean.The Undertaker was pinned by Batista and put Edge over hugely. Those victories gave those guys huge credibility and all bar Kennedy take advantage of them by going into bigger feuds afterwards.HHH has put over loads since he came back such as erm...:confused:
    Please dont say Jeff anyone, that match was a squash match where a battered Jeff nicked a victory of a dominant Hunter. HBK and Orton got Jeff over much more than Superhunter!:pac:

Please do, as that was how it was intended. (I'm not a complete c*nt y'know ;) )
    VR!

And im not a know-it-all! :D

We're going to get along just swimmingly!

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The Undertaker was pinned by Batista and put Edge over hugely. Those victories gave those guys huge credibility and all bar Kennedy take advantage of them by going into bigger feuds afterwards.HHH has put over loads since he came back such as erm...:confused:
    Please dont say Jeff anyone, that match was a squash match where a battered Jeff nicked a victory of a dominant Hunter. HBK and Orton got Jeff over much more than Superhunter!:pac:

By that logic, then you could say that Triple H made John Cena at Wrestlemania 22 by putting him over. Because facts state that Edge was over long before his program with Undertaker... sorry.

VR!

The belief is that Umaga/HHH was penciled in for Summerslam. But HHH thought that match up has been over done. So HHH changed the original plans so he could have a fresher match with Khail, yes HHH chose to wrestle Khali at Summerslam.

• Advertisement

I don't get it, either way you get HHH vs a slug!
    And the crowd is less likely to give a f*ck as it's not 1988 anymore!

VR!

I really don't see the problem here. It makes more sense for the WWE to have Khali in big matches like this because the benefit that he could give someone like Hardy or Kennedy if he's still seen as a massive inpenitrable force is worth it.

I don't get it, either way you get HHH vs a slug!
    And the crowd is less likely to give a f*ck as it's not 1988 anymore!

VR!

WORKRATEZ!

Fair point, only problem is his opponent is HHH, just like MegaCena, you know Hunter is going to take this one from the second his music hits.

Once again, WWE treating it's fans like amnesia patients.
    VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,338 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

how has it benifitted Hardy and Kennedy having Khali beat them both (and others) in a BR. And how does Khali getting beaten (most likely, almost certain) help them either?

WORKRATEZ!

And this goes in the same sentence as Khali? What you been smoking this morning?

VR!

Tauren wrote: »
    how has it benifitted Hardy and Kennedy having Khali beat them both (and others) in a BR. And how does Khali getting beaten (most likely, almost certain) help them either?

In the long term it does. Who's Khali going to feud with afterwards? almost certainly either Hardy, MVP or Kennedy and a clean PPV win over him will elevate whichever one of those it is to the main event easily. For a small guy, beating Khali looks impressive

Fair point, only problem is his opponent is HHH, just like MegaCena, you know Hunter is going to take this one from the second his music hits.

Actually come to think of it, surely this is a massive all in betting job?

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Actually come to think of it, surely this is a massive all in betting job?

Triple HHH pulls out the sledgehammer and there goes your house.

Do it Bubs!:pac:

Triple HHH pulls out the sledgehammer and there goes your house.

Do it Bubs!:pac:

I have 100 euro resting in my account anyway so I might as well. Unless Umaga has a match it looks good.

I'd say a Triple H DQ is only about 33% likely and assuming that the odds are 4/5 there's only a 33% chance of me losing the bet

• Advertisement
Advertisement