Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam 2008 Spoilers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

SuperHunter wins! What a shocker! :eek:

Of course! What?, you'd condone Khali getting a major title again?!
    Meh, f*cked if i care, Cena got jobbed out on PPV again, i'm happy. :D

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Of course! What?, you'd condone Khali getting a major title again?!

This is one of those rare instances where I'm happy to see SuperHunter prevail. The story behind it though about 'can he hit the pedigree' was just a bit weak for my liking.
    Meh, f*cked if i care, Cena got jobbed out on PPV again, i'm happy. :D

Yeah I knew you'd appreciate that. I was starting to wonder if you were giving Vince McMahon some booking tips but I knew you wouldn't have had Taker go over Edge in the Cell. ;)

This is one of those rare instances where I'm happy to see SuperHunter prevail. The story behind it though about 'can he hit the pedigree' was just a bit weak for my liking.

Yeah the story was weak enough, seeing as we'd already seen him hit Big Slow with it a couple of years back and all, and Umaga a few months back. Hit one fat slug with it, hit em all.
    Yeah I knew you'd appreciate that. I was starting to wonder if you were giving Vince McMahon some booking tips but I knew you wouldn't have had Taker go over Edge in the Cell. ;)

It made sense to me, as it looks like they could drag this on for another PPV. As for Taker going over Edge, i was all on for it. However, i wasn't on for Taker absolutely crucifying him! How people can say HHH destroys careers, and then condone the last 5 minutes of that match baffles me. Edge was kicked while he was down as far as i was concerned. He'd already been murdered by HHH, this was merely the additional stabbing of the corpse.

Here's hoping Edge will be able to make some sort of decent main event comeback. :)

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

€80 Profit from last nite:):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

I knew you wouldn't have had Taker go over Edge in the Cell. ;)

i think if this wasnt takers "comeback" we may have seen edge do it. i mean it wouldnt have been the first time taker had jobbed in the cell! should have gone up top tho.....with the ladders!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Damo.Smith

taker/edge was a classic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i think if this wasnt takers "comeback" we may have seen edge do it. i mean it wouldnt have been the first time taker had jobbed in the cell! should have gone up top tho.....with the ladders!! :pac:

they increased the height of the cell dramatically since the foley/taker match so there won't be anyone crazy enough to go up top on that thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Just watched the repeat because i fell asleep last night and was too groggy to remember what happened.

But:

I loved that Kofi/Mickie v "Glamella". It was stupidly entertaining, it was comedic but thanks to kofi it was also athletic :) My gawd. that thing were he dummy jumped the ropes, i think this match has secured him a long and lengthy future.

Was dissapointed with all the big matches. maybe with the exception of the World title, it should punk to be able to give and take a beating.
    One thing i did not get is that after a good match which went very well, obviously the ending came soon cos of the head smack, JR still called Punk "Our underdog world champion"?! What the ****?!

Speaking of JR, 2 things: I really wish the cell wall had hit him and anyone else hear him call Edge the R rated star?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Just watching the first hour now, fantastic, absolutely brilliant segment between Jericho and Michaels!

Plus the Deadman sending Edge to Hell- about time we saw the Undertaker do some of his freaky **** again.:D:pac:

Was dissapointed with all the big matches. maybe with the exception of the World title, it should punk to be able to give and take a beating.
    One thing i did not get is that after a good match which went very well, obviously the ending came soon cos of the head smack, JR still called Punk "Our underdog world champion"?! What the ****?!

Speaking of JR, 2 things: I really wish the cell wall had hit him and anyone else hear him call Edge the R rated star?:confused:

Granted JR has made many a boo boo, at least he was close, unlike a lot of Adamle's ****ups. Besides, you don't hear people wishing a cell wall hit you because of your bad spelling now, do you? ;)

VR!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

A more enjoyable SS that I thought it would be. Enjoyed the taker match quite a bit! Thought the HHH match was awful, but he did the best with the opposition he had. Batista/JC match wasn't too bad either. Bit ott, but worth watching.

So Edge is sent to hell? He's not gonna take a holiday now is he?! What with the flames and all. I never read these things well. Though if so, Taker/HHH could be decent for a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭EdK

To be honest i thought the whole thing was a write off besides the Hell in a Cell

Cena and Batista was ok but the rest was terrible, JBL and Punk was so slow and awkward the best thing that happened was Punk getting busted open by accident

The HBK/Jericho segment was good but it was very close to a recent TNA Storyline :eek: Whisper got socked straight in the mouth though ouch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Are any of the matches are worth watching apart from Beth Santino, Edge Taker and Cena Batista

The HBK/Jericho segment was good but it was very close to a recent TNA Storyline :eek: Whisper got socked straight in the mouth though ouch

I thought i saw a continuity error there. It looked like Jericho hit her on her right had side, yet it was the left hand side of her lip that was swollen?
    Bubs101 wrote:
    Are any of the matches are worth watching apart from Beth Santino, Edge Taker and Cena Batista

Lol, that's half the card.

MVP v Hardy was a clusterf*ck to be honest, a lot of botched moves and sloppiness. HBK/Jericho was a great segment, but it's similar to the Booker T/Bobby Roode/Sharmell TNA story, not like they were the first to come up with it either though. And HHH v Khali wasn't easy to watch either, especially when you knew who was going to win, as Drake said earlier in the thread, free money.

VR!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Personally, I thought SummerSlam was a god awful PPV, one great match (HIAC) and one passable match (Cena/Batista). The rest was horrible. And the way the whole Jericho/HBK angle was ripped off from Roode/Booker is cheap.

And the way the whole Jericho/HBK angle was ripped off from Roode/Booker is cheap.

I see where you were coming from with this, but it's not like it was a TNA original idea. NWA and WWE did this time out of number in the 80s and early 90s.

Savage/Hogan/Liz being one, Shawn/Marty/Sherri being another to name two memorable examples.

VR!

But TNA rip everything off from that period so it's expected. If the WWE rip off TNA it seems kind of cheap. Kind of like Versace borrowing a dress design they found in Penneys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

TNA could learn something from the pacing of the Jericho/Michaels feud.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    But TNA rip everything off from that period so it's expected. If the WWE rip off TNA it seems kind of cheap. Kind of like Versace borrowing a dress design they found in Penneys

WWE did do it though, Wife stealing angles were originated in NWA, Ladder matches were Calgary, Cage matches were also NWA.

Let's not kid ourselves here, just because WWE are the survivors, doesn't make them the originators. :)

VR!

TNA could learn something from the pacing of the Jericho/Michaels feud.

Learn how to drag out a feud until you're almost bored bandy?
    VR!

• Advertisement

Learn how to drag out a feud until you're almost bored bandy?
    VR!

No, learn how to make money through simple, steady logical angles. They're match is gonna draw people into buying Unforgiven who otherwise would never give it a second thought after just purchasing Summerslam.

The feud has a really old school feel about it.

No, learn how to make money through simple, steady logical angles. They're match is gonna draw people into buying Unforgiven who otherwise would never give it a second thought after just purchasing Summerslam.

Their has a really old school feel about it.

Well we all know that WWE cares more about making money than screwing their buying public over with the same matches every month or two. Sorry, but none of their matches have come anywhere near close to their Wrestlemania XIX classic. They weren't stinkfests, but they were nothing to write home about either.

I'm all on for old school feel, i just don't think dragging out stories works anymore in the era of 12-14 PPV's a year. It generates interest for some, but kills interest for others.

VR!

There's a difference between dragging something out for the sake of it and telling a good story. Jericho and Michaels have told a good story and the angle last night brought it up a notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

The Jericho/Michaels feud has been the most interesting thing on the show for me since it started. It doesn't feel like it's dragged at all

There's a difference between dragging something out for the sake of it and telling a good story. Jericho and Michaels have told a good story and the angle last night brought it up a notch.

I'm not disputing that it's telling a good story. If i want stories, i'll watch a movie. I'm saying the wrestling in the matches involved is as weak a kitten with it's head chopped off!

This story could also have been told in half the time too.
    VR!

I'm not disputing that it's telling a good story.

Yeah and last night really gave it some added impetus. It's building really well and can't wait to see play it out.

I mean even before Jericho hit her, the interaction between Michaels and Jericho was so good. Nothing out of this world. Just 2 guys whose motives you can clearly see. I loved the line with Jericho telling Michaels that he needed to sit his kids down and tell them that Jericho ended their dad's career and then Michaels response saying that Jericho needs to sit his kids down and tell them that their dad will never be HBK was just great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I see where you were coming from with this, but it's not like it was a TNA original idea. NWA and WWE did this time out of number in the 80s and early 90s.

Savage/Hogan/Liz being one, Shawn/Marty/Sherri being another to name two memorable examples.

VR!

If there going curn out an old angle, any chance of Jake/Ravishing Rick '88, and have Y2J wear a pair of long tights with HBK's wife on them?
    Anything would be better than that nappy he's been wrestling in the last few weeks..

I mean even before Jericho hit her, the interaction between Michaels and Jericho was so good. Nothing out of this world. Just 2 guys whose motives you can clearly see. I loved the line with Jericho telling Michaels that he needed to sit his kids down and tell them that Jericho ended their dad's career and then Michaels response saying that Jericho needs to sit his kids down and tell them that their dad will never be HBK was just great.

My grief with all of this is that they (WWE) are relying too much on storyline, especially on the RAW brand, even on Smackdown, they're relying on promos to sell the PPVs. The significant difference was that Edge v Taker were able to deliver bell to bell, something in my honest opinion, Y2J and HBK have not been able to do since their feud started.

Promos don't make a PPV folks. :)
    VR!

D-FENS wrote: »
    Anything would be better than that nappy he's been wrestling in the last few weeks..

Hah, i didn't see the RAW when he debuted with those, so i watched them over the weekend, the first thing i thought to myself was

"who wears short shorts, HE wears short shorts!"
    Embarrassing, to say the least.

VR!

• Advertisement

Promos don't make a PPV folks. :)

Yes they do. The one last night has helped sell their one in 3 weeks. It's up there as one of the best segments on WWE this year.

Also, I've even seen alot of feedback on the show where people are calling the angle last night one of the main highlights of the show for them.

And I can't wait for the match. The feud has so much momentum behind it now, it will really add to the match which is what it's all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Hah, i didn't see the RAW when he debuted with those, so i watched them over the weekend, the first thing i thought to myself was

"who wears short shorts, HE wears short shorts!"
    Embarrassing, to say the least.

VR!

Worst case of wardrobe malfunction since Earthquake's sh*t brown leotard :)
    Is'nt it strange how the little things like that really matter?
    Those pants really expose how small he is, like when a guy who normally wears knee pads or wrist bands comes out with out them and looks like his has skinny arms or legs.

Yes they do. The one last night has helped sell their one in 3 weeks. It's up there as one of the best segments on WWE this year.

Also, I've even seen alot of feedback on the show where people are calling the angle last night one of the main highlights of the show for them.

And I can't wait for the match. The feud has so much momentum behind it now, it will really add to the match which is what it's all about.

That may be the case regarding selling the PPV, but wrestling wise, it was below par, no amount of promos can ever make up for poor wrestling. People can kid themselves otherwise. A good example of this was Summerslam 92, Bret v Davey, The promos leading up to the match were great, but the match was far from great as Bret essentially wrestled himself for 20 minutes.

As i said, promos don't make a PPV, they help sell a PPV, but they don't make a memorable PPV.

VR!

can ever make up for poor wrestling.

I think you'd be in the minority thinking their matches have been poor. They have been exactly what they've need to be. I enjoyed their matches and expect their next one to be the best of this feud.

The feud has clearly gotten some steam. Here's a copy and paste of feedback from a couple of sites on the angle.
    1. Hard to believe that an interview segment was one of my favorite moments on a PPV, but wow. HBK and Jericho really had a great moment out there tonight. Can't say much more than that. Just incredible, and I can't wait for this feud to continue.

2. The Shawn & Jericho segment was just great. Great story-telling in that promo. Didn't like how Jericho seemingly legit hit Shawn's wife. There's no exuse for that, as much as the world respects and likes Chris. Going far for the art. Vince Russo wouldn't understand why that segment was great.

Can't wait for HBK/Jericho 4 at Unforgiven if that's where it's happening.

3. The Shawn Michaels-Chris Jericho confrontation was simply amazing. Having in mind who's involved, I'm not surprised, but these guys just keep getting better and better. I thought Michaels' wife did a great job as well. Very smart of them not to book this match here, but keep it for Unforgiven.

4. The segment with HBK and Jericaho was fantastic. This reminded me of the HHH vs HBK feud which started at Summerslam back in 2002. Adding a bit realism to any angle is good. Now Rebecca, through her years as a Nitro Girl never took any bumps, but she did a fantastic job selling that punch and it made you wish that Shawn would beat down Chris right away. I look forward to seeing where this goes.

5. The continuation of the Michaels-Jericho feud had me tingling all over. Seriously, after that segment ended I hoped one of the scheduled matches would come close to the myriad of emotions I felt as the angle unfolded.

6. The first part of the segment was Brett and Deanna Favre. HBK even has the gray facial stubble. That being said, this was so f'n good. Great angle. These guys just keep coming up with ways to top themselves.

Meh, sorry if i don't fall in with the majority of sheep who think stuff that's been done time out of number in the past is "teh awesome".

VR!

The feud has a really old school feel about it.

TNA are starting to do that though. AJ and Kurt had a great build up behind it and Abyss is being handled well at the moment, only being exposed on Pay per View until recently. Also, if you're going to ask people to learn lessons about how to build something up, you could ask the Raw writing staff to justify the rushed Batista vs. Cena match. How that match didn't even headline a PPV, let alone not Mania I will never understand

• Advertisement

Bubs101 wrote: »
    TNA are starting to do that though. AJ and Kurt had a great build up behind it

The WWE won't be putting Michaels and Jericho in a 10 man weapons match or whatever the hell it was on TNA 3 days before they fight on a ppv in a last man standing match.

Just on Batista/Cena, it was obviously rushed but they still have plenty of juice left in it. And as long as they don't overdo it (e.g. having Joe and Angle fight on ppv 3 times in 3 months) it could easily still headline Wrestlemania with the right build.

Just on Batista/Cena, it was obviously rushed but they still have plenty of juice left in it. And as long as they don't overdo it (e.g. having Joe and Angle fight on ppv 3 times in 3 months) it could easily still headline Wrestlemania with the right build.

This i have to agree with. Think about it. Shawn v Bret was done several times between 1992-1994 before they headlined Wrestlemania XII. Same with Rock/Austin a few years later. Both did their turn in midcard. Cena v Batista will do Mania at some stage.

VR!

Meh, sorry if i don't fall in with the majority of sheep who think stuff that's been done time out of number in the past is "teh awesome".

VR!

I'm not a sheep VR, I know in my own mind what I like. I don't understand how you can liken it to the past, as the only bit in last nights promo that was in any way familiar was the "woman getting hit". I don't ever remember two guys ever getting across realistic hatred as Jericho and Michaels did last night. Case in point, the "go home to your family" part was so intense and so powerful.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I'm not a sheep VR, I know in my own mind what I like. I don't understand how you can liken it to the past, as the only bit in last nights promo that was in any way familiar was the "woman getting hit". I don't ever remember two guys ever getting across realistic hatred as Jericho and Michaels did last night. Case in point, the "go home to your family" part was so intense and so powerful.

Flair/Steamboat feud, NWA 1989.
    There's your answer.

VR!

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Case in point, the "go home to your family" part was so intense and so powerful.

Yeah I loved that bit.

To me I don't care if angles are replicas of the past. I really don't once they're done well.

• Advertisement

Yeah I loved that bit.

To me I don't care if angles are replicas of the past. I really don't once they're done well.

Agreed. The reason I am really into this angle is because it is a very grounded storyline. Jericho and Michals are not being over the top, they, and creative, are just letting it naturally take its' course.

Heh, believe it or not, there was a time when I didn't. Pro Wrestling to me, is now like Music. Nothing surprises me anymore because it's all been done, and i've felt like this for a long time. Even Heenan said that in his shoot as well.

And like listening to music, i now watch Pro Wrestling, more as a force of habit than actually going out of my way to watch it.

VR!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

The Jericho/HBK angle last night was near perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,713 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

was summerslam any good ?

a rating out of 10

was summerslam any good ?

a rating out of 10

I'd say 5/ 10. It's worth a look for HBK/ Jericho segment, Batista/ Cena, and Edge/ Undertaker.

WWE did do it though, Wife stealing angles were originated in NWA, Ladder matches were Calgary, Cage matches were also NWA.

Let's not kid ourselves here, just because WWE are the survivors, doesn't make them the originators. :)

VR!

WWE was in the NWA. The wife stealing angle owed much to UWF's Tatum/Hyatt/Gilbert love triangle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

I note the TNA example, why not say Edge/Undetaker, Edge/Batista or Batista/Undertaker which is basically all that took up Smackdown PPV spots for the last year and a half (except when injuries occured).

Its all well and good stealing from the eighties but to steal from early '08 is poor form. On the Jericho/HBK feud, it has been drawn out, Jericho has been saying the same thing week in, week out since May with only two major angles, the eye injury and the wife battering. And to reinforce how much it was stealing, A Canadian accidentally punched the wife of a Texan in both cases.

I note the TNA example, why not say Edge/Undetaker, Edge/Batista or Batista/Undertaker which is basically all that took up Smackdown PPV spots for the last year and a half (except when injuries occured).

Why would I use Edge/Taker? If anything it's gained steam, the more the feud has been extended which can't be said about the Angle/Joe 3 ppv in a row run. I could have used the other 2 as examples but I felt the TNA Joe/Angle one was a better example in that it was something people were dieing to see and as each month went by they killed interest in it.
    Its all well and good stealing from the eighties but to steal from early '08 is poor form. On the Jericho/HBK feud, it has been drawn out, Jericho has been saying the same thing week in, week out since May with only two major angles, the eye injury and the wife battering. And to reinforce how much it was stealing, A Canadian accidentally punched the wife of a Texan in both cases.

Stealing??! You're kidding me. This is pro-wrestling, a business not play school. It's funny this is the only place I've read where the WWE are "stealing" a TNA angle. Last nights angle with Jericho and Michaels is pro-wrestling done very well. Enjoy it or at the very least objectively realise that as an angle it's working very well and is peaking at the perfect time.

And as best as I can tell HBK and Jericho won't be teaming up a month after Jericho hit his wife (didn't that happen with Roode and Booker?)

And you're right, there have been only 2 major angles in the feud. And look how over it is. Less is more.

Its all well and good stealing from the eighties but to steal from early '08 is poor form.

Those spots were part of the story of the match much like the original Hell In The Cell match did, it wasn’t stealing.
    IOn the Jericho/HBK feud, it has been drawn out, Jericho has been saying the same thing week in, week out since May with only two major angles, the eye injury and the wife battering. And to reinforce how much it was stealing, A Canadian accidentally punched the wife of a Texan in both cases.

It is an old style angle, repetition with staggered developments.

http://www.wwe.com/content/media/video/vms/summerslam/2008/august15-21/7878898?zone=_index
    WWE.com Exclusive: CM Punk receives medical attention after his match with JBL

• Advertisement
Advertisement