Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam 2008 Spoilers

1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

Was anyone else really let down by WWE to do with the Tron? They just killed the whole Summerslam "SS" and circle-ish set i thought.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,282 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Was anyone else really let down by WWE to do with the Tron? They just killed the whole Summerslam "SS" and circle-ish set i thought.
    i kinda was. i did miss the big S. overall i thought the ppv was meh except for the hiac. What was the point of the ecw title match it it ended in like 30 seconds . i felt the hiac could of had a bit of blood but there was a good few spots which i enjoyed, and the ending was terrible imo when he came back and chokeslammed edge through the ring and the fire thing it just made edge look kinda weak. Lets hope the rivalry is over this time.

The ending was terrible imo when he came back and chokeslammed edge through the ring and the fire thing it just made edge look kinda weak. Lets hope the rivalry is over this time.

Made Edge look weak? The match itself did not in anyway make him look weak, he put on a great match with taker i thought, the finish was great because it showed that taker was "back"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Decent enough PPV but far from flawless. The Cena Batista match was good although Cena should have gone over. The supeman nonsence has to stop right now, the man has jobed 5 TIMES IN THE LAST 7 ppv’s for **** sake. The crowd booing Cena and cheering Batista was as stupid as the royal rumble audience booing Rey and cheering Tommy ****ing Dreamer. The ECW match was a joke but **** it we all knew it would end like that and its not like Mark Henery can wrestle so I understand why it was very short. The Hunter match was ****e but heh that was to be expected, The Jercho and HBK segment was great and it was nice to see Punk go over JBL. Now then HIAC. The match was enjoyable and I had no problem with Taker wunning, but Edge was completely and utterly buried in the last few minutes. Their was no need for this sending him to hell nonsence and its going to take his character a good while to recover from that. Its incredibly unfair on a man who has carried Smackdown and being the finest heel in the company for the last few years. it was also nice to see MVP go over Jeff, hopefully with Edge sadly sidelined he may get a push now as there is no real decent heels on SD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,602 ✭✭✭✭ShawnRaven

Rjd2 wrote: »
    The supeman nonsence has to stop right now, the man has jobed 5 TIMES IN THE LAST 7 ppv’s for **** sake.

Wow, 7 whole times after spending the guts of about two years going over before injury. Ain't payback a bitch?
    The crowd booing Cena and cheering Batista was as stupid as the royal rumble audience booing Rey and cheering Tommy ****ing Dreamer.

Their prerogative really, you gonna begrudge them that right because you don't agree? Christ knows they pay enough of an entrance fee for such sh*tty PPV's, you can hardly deny them for speaking their mind, can you? :)
    The match was enjoyable and I had no problem with Taker wunning, but Edge was completely and utterly buried in the last few minutes. Their was no need for this sending him to hell nonsence and its going to take his character a good while to recover from that. Its incredibly unfair on a man who has carried Smackdown and being the finest heel in the company for the last few years. it was also nice to see MVP go over Jeff, hopefully with Edge sadly sidelined he may get a push now as there is no real decent heels on SD.

Well i'm glad that someone else feels the same way about Edge as i do in this case. I really don't feel that sacrificing Edge just to keep Takers stale character going is justified.

As for MVP over Jeff, i'm a Jeff mark but in this case, MVP truly earned it as he went out of his way for the entire match to make it look decent for the amount of botches Jeff was responsible for in that match.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

All good points but back on the Batista. I always fond it odd that he never got a bad reaction unlike Cena despite sharing some of the supposed faults of Cena...
    Ability?
    I know Cena gets a lot of abuse regarding what may feel is a limited move set, but come on its not like Batista is Chris Benoit is it?
    Booking?
    Batista was pushed just as much as Cena was over the last few years, he was in practically every Smackdown main event and correct me if I am wrong but who has he jobbed to clean apart from Taker and hell he even went over the deadman clean! Who the **** does that these days!
    Promos?
    Cena may resort to kiddy humour but the majority of Daves promos are slow and boring especially when he breaks out his god awful Rock impression.
    The fans are entitled to boo who they want but its absurd to boo Cena for things that Batista is just as guilty of.
    On on Taker, did he really need the silliness at the end? He had just won which was his fourth victory in their 5 PPV’S would that not have being enough to keep the deadmans legacy intact!:rolleyes:
    My spell check is broke on this computer so sorry for any spelling mistakes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

funniest part of the night during the JBL/Punk match... about half way through you can hear someone shout " Dude, JBL has man boobs"

Also, HHH/Khali was one of the worst matches ever. The ending was terribly rushed. They should have drawn it out a bit more with HHH working over Khali's legs. He just seemed to pedrigree him out of nowhere. Also did you notice Triple H now has his own streak.. I heard Jim Ross he hasn't been beaten in the last 6 years at Summerslam. this is just another step in making sure he's the best (don't want the Undertaker having 1 over him). How long before they start talking about it in the same breath as the Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with HBK/Jericho. HBK came out and announced he pretty much can't wrestle anymore...they can't really go putting him back on the road full time after this. Could this be a build up to a retirement match against Jericho at Wrestlemania? Maybe he will "take some time off so he can be in the best possible shape" and come back around Wrestlemania next year for 1 last match.

I expected a lot more from HIAC...not exactly the "purest form of hell" (as we were promised)...I thought Foley would make a run in.

Rjd2 wrote: »
    All good points but back on the Batista. I always fond it odd that he never got a bad reaction unlike Cena despite sharing some of the supposed faults of Cena...
    Ability?
    I know Cena gets a lot of abuse regarding what may feel is a limited move set, but come on its not like Batista is Chris Benoit is it?
    Booking?
    Batista was pushed just as much as Cena was over the last few years, he was in practically every Smackdown main event and correct me if I am wrong but who has he jobbed to clean apart from Taker and hell he even went over the deadman clean! Who the **** does that these days!
    Promos?
    Cena may resort to kiddy humour but the majority of Daves promos are slow and boring especially when he breaks out his god awful Rock impression.
    The fans are entitled to boo who they want but its absurd to boo Cena for things that Batista is just as guilty of.
    On on Taker, did he really need the silliness at the end? He had just won which was his fourth victory in their 5 PPV’S would that not have being enough to keep the deadmans legacy intact!:rolleyes:
    My spell check is broke on this computer so sorry for any spelling mistakes!

Batista doesn't come off as a cartoon character, and as a result, isn't an insult to the intelligance of the over 18's demographic. However, i've always said that Batista has been a shadow of his former self since his injury back in 2006. When he came back a few months later he was never the same. Before that, i always felt that he actually had a lot of potential.

VR!

Made Edge look weak? The match itself did not in anyway make him look weak, he put on a great match with taker i thought, the finish was great because it showed that taker was "back"
    The match itself didnt make him weak at but the ending did imo. i thought going through the table , conchairto,camera shot , spear and tombstone was enough to send a message to edge.

• Advertisement

The match itself didnt make him weak at but the ending did imo. i thought going through the table , conchairto,camera shot , spear and tombstone was enough to send a message to edge.

And even that was overkill. It made Edge look like Maven at the 2002 Royal Rumble, which in my honest opinion, just wasn't right.

VR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Surely the real talking point here should be that Batista finally hit a great spear. Could have been the camera angle or what not but he nailed Cena.

Bubs101 wrote: »
    Surely the real talking point here should be that Batista finally hit a great spear. Could have been the camera angle or what not but he nailed Cena.

Lol yeah, first time he's done that in about three years or something. It was indeed, a sight to behold.

VR!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Batista doesn't come off as a cartoon character, and as a result, isn't an insult to the intelligance of the over 18's demographic. However, i've always said that Batista has been a shadow of his former self since his injury back in 2006. When he came back a few months later he was never the same. Before that, i always felt that he actually had a lot of potential.

VR!

no batista's current character comes across as a 280lb roided up version of david beckham, only more metrosexual; imagine him wearing those earrings, shirts or shoes during a ufc press conference, he would be laughed off stage

in terms of matches batista was involved in 4 **** matches in 2007 and a great few minutes at the end of the elimination chamber at nwo this year, if anything batista greatly improved over the last 18 months, his recent mma training is starting to show

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

And even that was overkill. It made Edge look like Maven at the 2002 Royal Rumble, which in my honest opinion, just wasn't right.

VR!

Agreed. How could you take Edge seriously as a World Champion now? I didn't think he'd win but in the end it wasn't even close.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Try showing this to a non wrestling fan :pac:
    7uto-1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

VR!

+1

absolutely ridiculous burial. I genuinely, and maybe naively thought Edge had a shout, and the match was at least ****. no need and Undertaker had made his point. I understand the con-chair-to maybe, but the spear and camera shot on top were pointless.

And don't get me started on the chokeslam off the ladder. Besides the fact it took 10mins to set up without Edge offering the slightest resistence, the fact Edge basically got destroyed is criminal.

I hate HHH for his burial habits but Undertaker's habit of it can be excused is laughable. His ego in terms of 'The Streak', as well as the 'always winning on his return' while at the same time almost eliminating opponents from existence is just needless tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,372 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

rovert wrote: »
    Try showing this to a non wrestling fan :pac:
    7uto-1.gif

nice rovert, i might just do that :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

The parents insist he stopped before he hit her and she just jerked her head back :p

it also looks like he touched some side boob

Obviously that (HBK/Y2J) was the real highlight of the night.
    Maybe im just a sap but i bought it at first. Then started thinking when was jericho going to come out.
    But seriously, that was a great segment, there was drama, there was emotion, there was some stupid bitch waving at the start of it which made the camera zoom in on Michaels face, there was a boring chant. It had EVERYTHING!

And honestly, How fine is Mrs. HBK?

If i was jericho i'd be like "Oh i hit that"! :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭heymayo

I loved the HBK/Y2J Segment , My fav part being "...and tell them you'l never be Shawn Michaels"

SlickRic wrote: »
    7uto-1.gif
    nice rovert, i might just do that :pac:

ALERT THE OBSERVER! CHRIS JERICHO HAS A BOBBY BROWN MOMENT!
    VR!

And honestly, How fine is Mrs. HBK?

Enough to kick drugs for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

heymayo wrote: »
    I loved the HBK/Y2J Segment , My fav part being "...and tell them you'l never be Shawn Michaels"

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Just saw Get Smart last night, with the cameo by the "Great Khali".
    Great performance(!).

Though I did think he could be a decent (sort-of)face, if done in the right way imho. Obviously he's not the most talented wrestler, but a gentle-giant character could be a good turn for him. Maybe it's just me, but his natural arkwardness doesn't work as a Heel.

Also, one of my mates reckoned he got the Title shot to promote the film! :pac: Hardly that would ever be the case, right?

mehfesto2 wrote: »
    Also, one of my mates reckoned he got the Title shot to promote the film! :pac: Hardly that would ever be the case, right?

Can't see that being real as the film has nothing to do with WWE or they haven't been shoving it down our throats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭mehfesto2

Thought that myself. He was adament though:
    "sure they'd be doin' interviews and tha', y'know he'd be interviewed and they'd have t'say he woz a wrestler and tha'! Y'know - free advertisin'!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

Best Part HBK/Y2J Segment

Credit: WrestlingNewsWorld Premium

Triple H and Undertaker used to have tension between them due to both men having a lot of input in the company, especially over the direction of their own storylines.

However, they have apparently ended their backstage beef, and the resolution had a lot to do with Undertaker's girlfriend, WWE Divas champion Michelle McCool. Undertaker has been telling people that he has "never been more in love" and is willing to put his beef with Hunter aside for good business as long as he "doesn't get out of line" and, of course, so he can be on the road with Michelle. Triple H took the program with Great Khali at SummerSlam to give Undertaker the spotlight as a show of good faith.

So thats why it was HHH V Khali :eek:

JP Liz wrote: »
    So thats why it was HHH V Khali

WrestlingNewsWorld Premium if says it than it must be true. :pac: That is probably the most ridiculously written story I read in a while. Taker and HHH never had a "beef." Also the reason why HHH wrestled Khali wasnt that at all.

• Advertisement

So thats why it was HHH V Khali

I'm sorry but with all due respect, and i'll quote Chef from South Park here:
    "That's the biggest pile of pig crap i've ever seen!"

The only part of that that has any truth to it is HHH and Taker having backstage stroke, but they actually tend to work together rather than against each other.

You probably believed the story that Joey Mercury beat up Stephanie McMahon that got him fired, right?

VR!

Ever heard of sarcasm?

I didnt believe it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Ever heard of sarcasm?

I didnt believe it

So you dragged up an old thread, scrounged for a quote and put it up there just for sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Bubs101 wrote: »
    So you dragged up an old thread, scrounged for a quote and put it up there just for sarcasm?:rolleyes:

Also with no smiley or internal hint in the language you used, Liz?

Advertisement