Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Dish

• 23-07-2008 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

Sorry if this has come up before, but I'm looking for a nice (relatively simple) fish dish. I've somehow been persuaded to cook for my flatmate and her (very gorgoeus) brother. As much as i love steak and lamb I've been thinking about getting some really nice fish (not shellfish as the flatmate is not fond of them). Anybody got any ideas? Also my "kitchen" consists of a cooker, fridge and 1 square foot of counter top so non complicated recipies would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Good aul fish pie is handy.

You need:
    Smoked fish
    Regular fish (cod, haddock - whatever)
    Carton cream
    Cherry tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Parsley
    Carrot
    Onion
    Mature Cheddar

So - boil le spuds - either baby ones or large ones cut into chunks until just about cooked. Cook finely chopped onion & carrot in butter in pan. When soft (don’t brown them!) add the cream and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few mins - and then add handful of grated cheddar and parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season. Arrange spuds, tomatoes and fish (in chunks) in an ovenproof dish. Pour over cream mixture - top with more cheese and lash in the oven for about 30 mins.

You can add some mustard to cream mixture if you want. And I either serve it with peas or put frozen peas into the dish with the rest of the ingredients before cooking. And don't be alarmed if the cream doesn't cover everything. It will bubble up and get nice and saucy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Magga

This is something i cook and its very simple and can be prepared in advance, any fish can be used, i mostly use salmon.

Recipe for 4
    Prepare 4 pieces of tin foil and put salmon in centre of foil
    Cover fish with thin strips of red and yellow peppers, thin strips of scallions and grated carrot, add fresh dill and squeeze a little lemon juice over fillets,
    Gently fold the tin foil into little parcels like an envelope and cook in oven about 180 c for about 20 -25 minutes, about 10 mins before you could add a few prawns if liked.

Serve with potatoes - baby potatoes, put into oven dish, add chopped garlic and some from tube also, add carton of cream and cook in oven for about an hour, make sure to cover them.

Serve with brocolli

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

olaola wrote: »

You need:
    Smoked fish
    Carton cream
    Cherry tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Parsley
    Carrot
    Onion
    Mature Cheddar

So - boil le spuds - either baby ones or large ones cut into chunks until just about cooked. Cook finely chopped onion & carrot in butter in pan. When soft (don’t brown them!) add the cream and bring to the boil. Simmer for a few mins - and then add handful of grated cheddar and parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season. Arrange spuds, tomatoes and fish (in chunks) in an ovenproof dish. Pour over cream mixture - top with more cheese and lash in the oven for about 30 mins.

You can add some mustard to cream mixture if you want. And I either serve it with peas or put frozen peas into the dish with the rest of the ingredients before cooking. And don't be alarmed if the cream doesn't cover everything. It will bubble up and get nice and saucy :)

this is almost the exact same recipe as me. I use a combination of smoked haddock, tuna, salmon and cod, and exclusively use baby potatoes. The only difference though is i use spring onions instead of onions as they bring a really nice little flavour, but no peas for me. Deeelicious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

olaola wrote: »

You need:
    Smoked fish
    Carton cream
    Cherry tomatoes
    Potatoes
    Parsley
    Carrot
    Onion
    Mature Cheddar

One of my fav's.
    Never put tomatoes in though. I'll give it a try.
    Also, boiled eggs can be a nice addition.

Advertisement