Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National Track C/ships this weekend

Options
  • 23-07-2008 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭

Anyone going? Racing? They're looking for help as well to organize the event.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

I plan to get down to the track on Sunday to check it out and take some photos alright. Racing kicks off around 11am :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

where's it being held (excuse my ignorance!)?

The track is on Sundrive Road

Here is a link to the Cycling Ireland website

maps?f=q&hl=en&q=Sundrive+Rd,+Dublin,+County+Dublin,+Ireland&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=61.669968,108.984375&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=0,53.324566,-6.296020&ll=53.334358,-6.295853&spn=0.092461,0.21286&z=12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

snollup wrote: »
    where's it being held (excuse my ignorance!)?

Sundrive Rd, Crumlin Co Dublin

I will probably go on the Sunday if there is a saturday spin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

cool, never knew there was a track in dublin. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Does anyone know if this "Eamonn Ceannt Stadium, Sundrive Road, Dublin" has a website? Can't seem to find it anywhere.. (Thought the only track that was going to be built in Ireland was in Derry for some reason)

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭smithslist

Wez wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this "Eamonn Ceannt Stadium, Sundrive Road, Dublin" has a website? Can't seem to find it anywhere.. (Thought the only track that was going to be built in Ireland was in Derry for some reason)

dont think there is a website...but heres a google map

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=&saddr=53.324645,-6.292162&daddr=&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=0&sz=16&doflg=ptk&sll=53.326952,-6.289093&sspn=0.005652,0.014849&ie=UTF8&ll=53.32699,-6.289093&spn=0.005652,0.014849&z=16

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

There's the Sundrive road track, and there's another one in Belfast, also an outdoor one... oh if only we could get a nice, proper indoor one built -a nice short 250m track with 40 degree banking... would be heaven!!! Almost enough to make me want to move to the UK I tells ya

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Cheers Smithlist, for some reason I presumed sundrive road was out Santry way! (There is an athletics place there somewhere!) That's much closer to home! bout a 10 minute cycle!

Ti-Ex, After getting so into fixed over the past years I've built up such a craving to have a shot on a proper indoor track! Although in saying that I've never ridden track at all! :O Is it possible to have like a 'track day'? Was reading up (found a good site - http://www.trackcyclingireland.aardvarkit.ie/index.shtml ) and there was talk of needing a UCI licence or something along those lines.

Anyone know if you can go without or not?

• Advertisement

Wez, the way it works on the track is that you need to be 'accredited' (basically means they can see that you know how to ride fixed -drop Hugh a mail, or go along on a Sat and you can get sorted out with that). Once accredited, to race on a Wed you need a UCI licence, but can get a one day one for 5 quid on the night. You can also rent a track bike from them for another fiver too, and race away to your hearts content!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

I've built up such a craving to have a shot on a proper indoor track! Although in saying that I've never ridden track at all! :O Is it possible to have like a 'track day'? Was reading up (found a good site - http://www.trackcyclingireland.aardvarkit.ie/index.shtml ) and there was talk of needing a UCI licence or something along those lines.

Anyone know if you can go without or not?

don't get your expectations up about the track. it's, eh, seen better days...

i'd say there'll be ample opportunity to find out when the next open day is if you go on sunday. a few of us went to the last one and got accredited. great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Wez- they had an open day a bit back and I have heard you may be able to get accredited if you turn up early on one of the track racing days. AFAIK this is just to make sure you can handle the basics and are not going to kill yourself or others. I think you can then buy a day license and rent a bike for a fiver each (you can cycle your own but has to be a proper track bike without brakes.)

Oh yeah ... for this National Champ / you must have an irish passport ... where can I can one of these for cheap ? ( hehe )

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Oh yeah ... for this National Champ / you must have an irish passport ... where can I can one of these for cheap ? ( hehe )

Marrying an Irish dude helps.

el tonto wrote: »
    Marrying an Irish dude helps.

Mmmm ... a bit short notice ... maybe I'll place an add in the paper :pac:

Going tomorrow afternoon - Hope to see some of your guys there too :pac:

How was this? Got stuck in Galway, which is never a bad thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Did anyone get down to take some photo's? If so can yous post them up, would love to see what the racing was like!

3 of us went yesterday. There were just a couple of events left to go. We sat in the sun, got a bit burnt, had an ice cream ... the sound of the wheels is amazing :)

I had the camera, but I only took 1 photo. I might post it tonight.

• Advertisement

3 of us went yesterday. There were just a couple of events left to go. We sat in the sun, got a bit burnt, had an ice cream ... the sound of the wheels is amazing :)

I had the camera, but I only took 1 photo. I might post it tonight.

You forgot to mention that we missed all the racing! :)

You forgot to mention that we missed all the racing! :)

Yeah ... we saw the riders train ... then we went for lunch ... and when we came back, it was all over ... Was a good afternoon though :D I enjoyed it.

Advertisement