Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trout fishing on the River Barrow

Options
  • 23-07-2008 2:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Can anyone hepl me with a suitable set-up for spinning/ trawling on the river Barrow, Graignamanagh down to St.Mullins is the stretch where we fish.

I have had success with a black flying c in the past, but I keep catching Pike with my lures/spinners.

I fly fish some of the weir pools alright, but im looking for help, as mentioned above with spinning/trawling.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers...

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Generally speaking, trout eat insects and flies.
    The spinner will catch some, but is more an approach tailored for perch and pike, and the occasional big fish eating trout.

Consider getting a fly rod, reel, line and flies. Or as a middle aproach consider the spinning rod, clear bubble float and flies. It suits very wide rivers, long casting, and results with this will probably increase your appreciation of how effective flies are.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

coolwings wrote: »
    Generally speaking, trout eat insects and flies.
    The spinner will catch some, but is more an approach tailored for perch and pike, and the occasional big fish eating trout.

Consider getting a fly rod, reel, line and flies. Or as a middle aproach consider the spinning rod, clear bubble float and flies. It suits very wide rivers, long casting, and results with this will probably increase your appreciation of how effective flies are.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

I actually do fly-fish and have had some great reults in two weir pools in particular.

The reason I was asking about spinning/trawling is, I bring two mates with me who are novices, so it's esier that way for the time being....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

Use very small spinners or worm under a clear float (my 5yr neice caught 5 nice trout this way on the barrow)

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭zacmorris

Use very small spinners or worm under a clear float (my 5yr neice caught 5 nice trout this way on the barrow)
    Lol, fair play to her :cool:
    cheers for that, will give it a blast when I head down there this sat!

Advertisement