Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's it worth ?

Options
  • 23-07-2008 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭

Guys,

Due to ongoing commitments with a house build, a new job and exam study I'm thinking of selling my Trek.. However I'm not sure of a price for it.

It's a full C/F Trek Madone 5.2, built with a 07 Dura Ace Groupset, BBB C/F Handlebars, Mavic Open Pro Rims with Dura Ace Hubs .. the bike was only built first week of jan.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭irishmotorist

I'd say about €47 and I offer you that price. Seeing as how I'm the first, do I get it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭dedon

€1500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

Is it a self build and did you buy the parts from a shop or on the likes of e-bay?

Just wondering if you're selling at a profit which is fine if you can get away with it.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Full D/A groupset and only 7 months old? The 2007 5.2 frame/fork is the same as the 5.5 (which came with Dura-Ace) so that is probably the closest comparison- but people will still probably look at it as a "5.2".

Presuming it is perfect you should get at least €1,500, maybe more like €2,000, but it can be very difficult to shift a high-end bike and ultimately you will only get what someone is willing to pay for it. The new Madone launch won't help you.

I wouldn't have any problem your selling at a profit; although I know you got a cracking deal on the frame it still might be tough! Ultimately what you paid for the bike has no relation on what it's worth and this works in both directions, usually the other way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

Won't have a hope of 2000 I'm afraid regardless of what its worth. I have practically given away some really good bikes in recent times to shift them. 1500 much more realistic. You will have to price to sell, now is a good time especially down in Waterford Junior, lots of triathlon heads always on the lookout for a good bike. You should post it on the Comeragh, Dan Morrissey and most importantly Carrick Tri club sites as well....

I didn't see it around the county too much this year, so I am assuming it didn't get a lot of use !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Aquinas73 wrote: »
    Is it a self build and did you buy the parts from a shop or on the likes of e-bay?

Just wondering if you're selling at a profit which is fine if you can get away with it.;)

Bought the frame from Ebay USA, bought Groupset in Germany, Wheels were built by Tony O'Mahony in Dungarvan, and it was assembled by Tony as well. As Quigs will verify, Tony builds wheels for Sean Kelly and most of the 'professionals' round Waterford direction.
    blorg wrote: »
    Full D/A groupset and only 7 months old? The 2007 5.2 frame/fork is the same as the 5.5 (which came with Dura-Ace) so that is probably the closest comparison- but people will still probably look at it as a "5.2".

Presuming it is perfect you should get at least €1,500, maybe more like €2,000, but it can be very difficult to shift a high-end bike and ultimately you will only get what someone is willing to pay for it. The new Madone launch won't help you.

I wouldn't have any problem your selling at a profit; although I know you got a cracking deal on the frame it still might be tough! Ultimately what you paid for the bike has no relation on what it's worth and this works in both directions, usually the other way.

No dude, not trying to flog it for profit, just that tied up with time, house and stuff that I'm getting highly frustrated with not being able to use it like I should, and it's a waste of a bike.
    Quigs Snr wrote: »
    Won't have a hope of 2000 I'm afraid regardless of what its worth. I have practically given away some really good bikes in recent times to shift them. 1500 much more realistic. You will have to price to sell, now is a good time especially down in Waterford Junior, lots of triathlon heads always on the lookout for a good bike. You should post it on the Comeragh, Dan Morrissey and most importantly Carrick Tri club sites as well....

I didn't see it around the county too much this year, so I am assuming it didn't get a lot of use !

It got a bit of useage, but not the level I had intented.

It's that tasteful grey colour too thank god, have been out cycling a few times with a guy with the same frame and it does look well. It will help (IMHO) that it isn't in Discovery colours, was never too fond of them, could make your nice carbon machine look a bit too much like a Trek 1000. What size is it out of interest? Why isn't it in the Bike Gallery!?

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=6909&g2_GALLERYSID=6fa46ae313dc9d40b12a987eeb57af42

I've actually changed that stem to a BBB 130mm Stem since that photo, it's a 52cm frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

I can vouch for Tony's wheels alright. He knows how to build a wheel and does indeed build for Kelly et al... not to mention nearly all the Dan Morrissey squad (and anyone who has raced domestically in Ireland this year will know that they are no slouches !) Best wheelbuilder I have ever encountered, which reminds me I still have one of mine up there for repairs which I need to go collect, cheers Junior !

Quigs Snr wrote: »
    I can vouch for Tony's wheels alright. He knows how to build a wheel and does indeed build for Kelly et al... not to mention nearly all the Dan Morrissey squad (and anyone who has raced domestically in Ireland this year will know that they are no slouches !) Best wheelbuilder I have ever encountered, which reminds me I still have one of mine up there for repairs which I need to go collect, cheers Junior !

If your passing Kilmac your welcome to give me a shout dude ?

• Advertisement

Junior wrote: »
    it's a 52cm frame.
    That is me out then :D

It's a nice bike, TBH what Quigs Snr says is probably right, it is "worth" more than you are likely to get for it! I'd keep it if you can and start getting some more miles in, even with all the other stuff you should make sure to keep some time for exercise, it will help you feel better while you are doing all the other stuff. I'd feel very sad selling that bike for under €1500.

That is me out then :D

It's a nice bike, TBH what Quigs Snr says is probably right, it is "worth" more than you are likely to get for it! I'd keep it if you can and start getting some more miles in, even with all the other stuff you should make sure to keep some time for exercise, it will help you feel better while you are doing all the other stuff.

You sound like my mother !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

look a bit too much like a Trek 1000.

*sniff* :(:(:(

Nothing wrong with a Trek 1000 neilled, although I prefer it when not in the Discovery colours too. I used to have a US Postal one myself, quite liked that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Nothing wrong with a Trek 1000 neilled, although I prefer it when not in the Discovery colours too. I used to have a US Postal one myself, quite liked that.

To be honest I prefer my bikes singletone, preferably in black! I think the discovery or team colours thing is a little bit showy offy! My previous comment was in jest :D

I've had a few offers on it from lads here, and I've promised someone first refusal on it, If I sell it, if I don't go mental over the next few weeks trying to get this house finished I might be keeping it, then again, if the gardens have to be done I'd say I won't be seeing any spare time for a couple of years.

Junior wrote: »
    I've had a few offers on it from lads here, and I've promised someone first refusal on it, If I sell it, if I don't go mental over the next few weeks trying to get this house finished I might be keeping it, then again, if the gardens have to be done I'd say I won't be seeing any spare time for a couple of years.
    I hope those offers are over €1,500, it would be sinful to sell that bike for less. Why don't you head out for a bit of a cycle and think it over :D

I hope those offers are over €1,500, it would be sinful to sell that bike for less. Why don't you head out for a bit of a cycle and think it over :D

Aye I've been meaning to do it all week, might stick some new music on the ipod and head out tonight. Or alternatively just book in for one of the Kelly Tours and see how much I suffer. :eek:

Advertisement