Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, Regarding Primary Teaching Subbing off the cuff!

• 23-07-2008 2:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi All,
    Im just wondering or calling all those people on boards.ie who have changed career and gone into subbing in a Primary school off the cuff as it were with no previous experience...
    It's something I've been thinkning about and am seriously considering it from this Septmeber on... However this would mean handing in my notice at my current employment (full time position in the Pharma industry, its ok but not a job I want to do forever), a good idea in these uncertain times...?
    I did some observation and a few days SNA in my brothers school (he's a Primary School Principal), and it was good but I thought it was daunting too in that it was such a total change like...I reckon if I was the teacher I'd be shaking like a leaf doing it off the cuff if you know what I mean!! LOL!...
    Look basically I'd like to ask anyone who's just gone in and done it and how they got on, those with no previous experience...Im probably thinking about it too much (so my brother says anyway!!) Ha..

Thanks.
    J.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

john10 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    Im just wondering or calling all those people on boards.ie who have changed career and gone into subbing in a Primary school off the cuff as it were with no previous experience...
    It's something I've been thinkning about and am seriously considering it from this Septmeber on... However this would mean handing in my notice at my current employment (full time position in the Pharma industry, its ok but not a job I want to do forever), a good idea in these uncertain times...?
    I did some observation and a few days SNA in my brothers school (he's a Primary School Principal), and it was good but I thought it was daunting too in that it was such a total change like...I reckon if I was the teacher I'd be shaking like a leaf doing it off the cuff if you know what I mean!! LOL!...
    Look basically I'd like to ask anyone who's just gone in and done it and how they got on, those with no previous experience...Im probably thinking about it too much (so my brother says anyway!!) Ha..

Thanks.
    J.

I did it in 2004! It took me a year or so to get established enough that I was working most days. I did Hibernia and worked during the day in different schools.

It worked out in the end for me anyway, I'm fulltime and permanent now!

Just do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 john10

Alright Trotter,

Thanks for the reply boy...
    Yeah I reckon its best just to just do it...Did you just go into schools and sub and work away like or did you go over the curriculum and all that before you went in... To be honest I like going in some bit prepared if possible although with the subbing its definately learn as you I'd imagine with a very steep learning curve as you go along...

Yeah I've applied for the Hibernia and am waiting for interview on that also, but thats another days work...!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 visitorhere

re. primary subbing-it's not as easy to get into as previously. Lots of qualified teachers are settling for sub positions. Plus the teaching council are attempting to rid schools of subs that aren't qualified teachers-schools will have to pay out of own funds (very unlikely schools can provide for this) as teachers will have to be registered with teaching council to be paid by dept itself when the section of the act is implemented.

Don't go leaving your old job yet! Perhaps email the teaching council first and see what they say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

john10 wrote: »
    Alright Trotter,

Thanks for the reply boy...
    Yeah I reckon its best just to just do it...Did you just go into schools and sub and work away like or did you go over the curriculum and all that before you went in... To be honest I like going in some bit prepared if possible although with the subbing its definately learn as you I'd imagine with a very steep learning curve as you go along...

Yeah I've applied for the Hibernia and am waiting for interview on that also, but thats another days work...!!

Use the books in the classroom as a guide when you're subbing. Have a look at the info from this website too. Theres plenty of links to the different subject curriculum books.

Primary School Curriculum

http://www.pcsp.ie is very useful too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Hi John,
    if you want to do Primary Teaching then just get stuck in there and do it. I think I PM-ed you a couple of days ago?? If this is you i'm thinking of, then you're sorted. Whens the next time Hibernia take in students? Because a month of full-time subbing is enough experience to get you a place. You just have to prove to them this is what you really want. And humming and hawing about your won't convince them.
    As regards to the issue where they're trying to make all subs qualified teachers....I really can't see that happening anytime in the near future...there's way too much demand for subs. I really don't think a class having a unqualified sub for a week or so is dreadful, I mean its not ideal, but so long as they're continueing with their work and not totally taking the p*** with their teacher gone, then I don't think its the end of the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

google text a sub, its a good service

Advertisement