Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the pill and holidays

Options
  • 23-07-2008 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Just wondering what all the girlies here do about taking the pill on holidays? if you go away do you take it at the same time there as here ie if you take it at11 here do you take it at 11 on holidays? or id you take it at 11 here to you take it at the equivilant time there ie 12 with time difference which would be 1 here??

God im confused and my doc is on holidays :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I would assume you take it at the same time as you would here. eg. if u take it at 7pm irish time you still take it at 7pm irish time, even if thats 11pm wherever you are. your body doesnt know the timezone is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭rescue26

Ya, would take it at the same time as home. What I do when im on hols, I leave my phone at the time it is at home and set the reminder and take it at that time cos I have my watch changed to local time and its easier. Def take it at the same time as home as like the other poster said, your body doesnt no the difference and its used to taking it every 24 hrs. Or else if its going to be in the middle of the night time diff then I would suggest you alter the time u take it at gradually before the hols so you wont have to get up in the middle of the night.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭squishywishy

thank you!
    was going to take it at the same time but wasnt sure.
    will use the phone trick you suggested and hopefully it'll be ok and ill remember.
    might ask my pharmasist just to be sure but im sure you're all right!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

thank you!
    was going to take it at the same time but wasnt sure.
    will use the phone trick you suggested and hopefully it'll be ok and ill remember.
    might ask my pharmasist just to be sure but im sure you're all right!

I wouldn't have thought an hour would make a difference? My doc always said "approximately" the same time. I always take it at breakfast but this is about an hour later for me at the weekend than during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Malari wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought an hour would make a difference? My doc always said "approximately" the same time. I always take it at breakfast but this is about an hour later for me at the weekend than during the week.

one hour might not, but if youre already one hour out because of the timezone & then accidentally take it an hour or 2 late you could be 2 or 3 hours late. i think theres some pills that after 3 hrs can be dodgy.

• Advertisement

know what you mean about the hour but im kinda wondering about holidays in general. like if people go to new zealand etc. what do they do???

one hour might be nothing but as Sar84 says a hour with a 2 hour time difference is 3!! scary stuff

one hour might be nothing but as Sar84 says a hour with a 2 hour time difference is 3!! scary stuff

Yes, very scary...I'm off to the Big Apple soon, don't want to have to get up at 3am to take baby-prevention drugs!

Yes, very scary...I'm off to the Big Apple soon, don't want to have to get up at 3am to take baby-prevention drugs!

i feel your pain Malari!! ill be heading state side in october and dont want to have to get up in the middle of the night to take it!

going to ask a pharmasist tomorrow and ill post my info then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

know what you mean about the hour but im kinda wondering about holidays in general. like if people go to new zealand etc. what do they do???

Ireland to NZ isn't so bad really as there is a 11/12/13hr difference and as I think women generally take their pill in the morning or at night time. The time is pretty ok when converted :) I'd be more concerned doing a round the world trip as the time differences would be all over the place.

I'm flying home to Ireland soon from NZ and I'm more concerned about taking it on the flight as it'll be harder to tell when to take it and I won't have my phone reminder. :)

But yup like others are saying you take it at the same time as you would in the country you reside in the majority of the time.

A

I scurried home yesterday to check the info that came with the pill (I'm on Yasmin by the way) and while it says "take at about the same time every day", it also says "if you forget to take the pill at the usual time but take it within 12 hours, this will not have any effect or increase your risk of becoming pregnant".

What does it all mean?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I scurried home yesterday to check the info that came with the pill (I'm on Yasmin by the way) and while it says "take at about the same time every day", it also says "if you forget to take the pill at the usual time but take it within 12 hours, this will not have any effect or increase your risk of becoming pregnant".

What does it all mean?

It means you have a 12 hour window in which to take your pill. Yasmin is a combined pill, which is a lot more flexible than an oestrogen-only (mini) pill, which generally have to be taken within a much more stringent time-frame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Honey-ec wrote: »
    It means you have a 12 hour window in which to take your pill. Yasmin is a combined pill, which is a lot more flexible than an oestrogen-only (mini) pill, which generally have to be taken within a much more stringent time-frame.

The mini pill is a progesterone only pill. You are correct that it has a more stringent time-frame.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Sugar Drunk

Hi OP, a brilliant tip I read in a magazine is to bring an extra watch or phone and keep it on Irish time. Use this watch to guage when you should take the pill.
    Im on hols next week and im going to change my watch time to local time but leave my phone on irish time and set an alarm so i know when to take the pill

Advertisement