Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thursday Spin, 24/07/2008

Options
  • 23-07-2008 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭

There have been murmurings about this in the Tuesday spin thread so I thought I'd start a new thread. Suggest 18/18:30 (the earlier the better, but 18:30 might suit the more northern boardsies better) from the M50 bridge on the Enniskerry Road for something involving the mountains. Sally Gap might not be beyond the bounds of possibility if we left at 18:00, an up and back the same side would be possible even leaving at 18:30. We could even do a repeat of Kippure- Ollie has been wanting to do this for some time. In two minds on that as the descent is no fun though.

As it's a lovely day I'm planning on something similar this evening after work- more than happy for anyone to join me! (Note it's multiple choice, I'll be coming out Thursday as well.)

I've posted a poll so people can vote if they will be coming along (note there is no unvote option :D)

I'm coming out for a 5 votes

Thursday spin
    0%
    Wednesday spin (that's today)
    100%
    blorgPeadarofAodhkenmcbarrabusHarpz 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 704 ✭✭✭PeadarofAodh

I'm provisionally up for Thursday spin, might be tied down to joining a different group though - will see what's happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Cadex

Hey - thought I'd fancy a spin thursday, but have a date with in-laws instead. Enjoy and will see you sometime after the weekend. Have a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm out, cinema is calling

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ollietrex

Afraid no road biking for me until sat... Been out to much after my 12 hour race and cooked the legs a little to much so need to rest.

Anyone else but me and Blorg? What time are we settling on...6 or 6:30?

I'll be the lanky fella with the Barloworld jersey anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

OK, so just to confirm location and time, 18:30 at the M50 overpass on the Sandyford/Enniskerry Road, R117 (thinking about it we should probably make it Lambs Cross in future as there's a Gala shop there :D) Location

Tiny is starting from Harold's Cross at 18:00.

May be picking up dugas at Golden Ball (the pub at the junction of Enniskerry Road and Glennamuck Road) - I told him we would be passing by around 18:40.

I have to be back for 20:30/21:00 or so myself; I would suggest following W200 route through Enniskerry to Glencree then back over the Military Road to Dublin? Possible diversion of a quick climb up towards Sally Gap and back but I will NOT repeat NOT be climbing Kippure :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I ll be in the park probably after 8PM - but will take it really easy as I will be using with my old bike - if anyone is around do say hello :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Dog ate my homework.
    ;)

Between the poll, posting and PMs I am counting a potential seven:

barrabus, blorg, dugas, Harpz, kenmc, PeadarofAodh, & our great leader his excellency TinyExplosions

blorg wrote: »
    Between the poll, posting and PMs I am counting a potential seven:

barrabus, blorg, dugas, Harpz, kenmc, PeadarofAodh, & our great leader his excellency TinyExplosions

*ahem*, look above...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm in, coming from Dundrum. Don't mind meeting at the sandyford bridge, or the luas bridge or whatever..... and sure any route is good for me as long as the weather holds..

*ahem*, look above...
    Grr and the 18:30 start was for you too! If you come out you'll still catch a film at 21:00 or so :D

I'm out, cinema is calling

I can't hear it.....
    the only valid excuse you can use is that you're off to see the new Batman in Savoy 1. else ... on your bike :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I am out, off to see batman (again) so my excuse is valid.

Staying at 6:30 still? Wouldn't mind 6 but if it's too late to revert no worries

i'm probably around 6:15 in sandyford bridge. 6 might be pushing it a bit...

@PeadarofAodh- Might get a bit messy changing the start time at this stage with so many people. If you like I'll meet you at the bridge at 18:00 and we can do a quick little warm up and be back for 18:30 to meet the rest?

blorg wrote: »
    @PeadarofAodh- Might get a bit messy changing the start time at this stage with so many people. If you like I'll meet you at the bridge at 18:00 and we can do a quick little warm up and be back for 18:30 to meet the rest?

Just thinking about it actually, maybe leave it at 6:30. My gears started making a few interesting noises on the return to Dublin yesterday so might poke at them a bit before setting out. Never warmed up for a cycle before...sounds serious!

OK, see you all there at 18:30 so!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dugas

It was a great spin! Thanks guys, but the pace was bit fast as for me today (24,5km/h average).

Guess who have I seen on my way back - the guy on that Trek hybrid, but he seemed to changed it for a full carbon now :)

Big Regards to all of yous, it was a pleasure!

• Advertisement

Five turned out- kenmc, PeadarofAodh, friend of same, dugas and myself.

Nice spin indeed lads, the pace was certainly faster than normal- I think we can put that down to the presence of rowers in the group, they certainly seem to make fine cyclists!

So my idea of a gentle spin went out the window and we tore around. Was chatting to a guy from Orwell on the final leg back up to Stocking Lane.

We then headed for Johnny Foxes instead of the descent to Rathfarnham as dugas lives in that direction- lost PeadarofAodh and his fellow rower due to my bad directions but bumped back into them coming back into Ranelagh (I punctured just after I left Dugas, peculiar one too, snakebite with nothing obvious to cause it.)

I made it 53.11km, 26km/h, 2:02:34, 744m ascent.

Was a good spin right enough, the pace to Enniskerry was fast - about 5 mins faster getting there than on a "normal"
    saturday spin!

I can finally participate in a post-spin breakdown chat!

Really enjoyable spin with a v friendly group, had a great time. Would put no blame on you Blorg at all for me rocketing off on the wrong route...my sense of direction tends to go out the window when I'm on the bike!

Didn't realise we could affect the pace that much, I tried to hang back and dodge the work let others set the pace as my knowledge of cyclists' etiquette needs some brushing up..."car up" "Car down" "clear" etc

Looking forward to Saturday now!

my knowledge of cyclists' etiquette needs some brushing up..."car up" "Car down" "clear" etc

We just make it up anyway! :)

We just make it up anyway! :)

I thought as much!

Just remembered our brush with that horse, was trying to rack my brain for a suitable call there...

I think it started with "oaf" and ended with "hook". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Harpz

Sorry guys, Hate to be a Jonny no show, but something came up last minute and I couldn't make it. Sounds like it was a good one. Same again next week?

Spoke with my mate this morning...he had a bit of a nightmare return home! Still getting used to the clips - he approached the lights, unclipped the left, leaned to the right. Panicking tried to pull his right out and ripped the cleat off his shoe and pulled the chain off (Not sure how he managed this!) so ended up walking home. Ouch.

Didn't realise we could affect the pace that much, I tried to hang back and dodge the work let others set the pace as my knowledge of cyclists' etiquette needs some brushing up..."car up" "Car down" "clear" etc

Looking forward to Saturday now!
    I don't think anyone was complaining about the pace, it's always good to get out and push yourself a bit harder. From how you tore around that course and feeling up for more I certainly don't think you'll have any issues with Saturday!

Nice bike too BTW, looks very good in the blue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement