Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loads of PES2009 news!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,388 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I can hardly believe they have kept ML exactly the same.

It needs to be shot and born again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

noodler wrote: »
    I can hardly believe they have kept ML exactly the same.

It needs to be shot and born again.
    Ah no, let the father have sex with the mother to see it turns out okay... then shoot it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,747 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Manchetser United are officially licenced, http://www.pesfan.com/news/?id=7161549#continue and rumour is Liverpool are also but no confirmation.

Also here is the official trailer!
    http://www.video.dpadmagazine.com/2008/08/01/pro-evolution-soccer-2009-messi/

Im pissed that those ****e sprinting animations that look like they have a sore arse are back.

Also a bumper pack of screenshots:
    http://www.ps3clan.nl/index.php?site=news_comments&newsID=1760&lang=nl

The trailer was freaking terrible. Too much Messi (WE GET IT, HE'S YOUR STAR!)

Horrible 'thud' is back, and we saw nothing new really. Konami have 'confirmed' that the video is ALL 'in game' but the close ups of Messi and the tricks look too different for that to be true, imo. I dunno, they did confirm it though...

However, it is just a teaser trailer so it isn't really supposed to show all that much I suppose.

We should be finding out more information this week as there is a mag coming out tomorrow (PSM I think) with an excluse play-test preview of the game, so we should get some CONFIRMED gameplay news this week. Unconfirmed reports on gameplay are overwhelmingly positive though, so its looking good gameplay wise.

Tauren wrote: »
    The trailer was freaking terrible. Too much Messi (WE GET IT, HE'S YOUR STAR!).
    Shìte music aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Horrible 'thud' is back, and we saw nothing new really.

This makes me cry aswell.

Why does dribbling sound like playing the drums in Rock Band?:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

I've played ISS for at least 12 years and have yet to play a game with the sound on! The thud makes no difference to me! Either does the stadium, you'd hardly notice the stadium during a game, about 3 stadiums is all I'd need.
    I have the PS2 version of PES2008, I hope the community bit is included in the new PS3 version, that's good.
    Agreed with the ML, badly needs to be changed, at least change the points to real money. Same with the lag, if it's bad the game is completely pointless.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/forums/topic/746
    play3s50ab0.jpg
    play3s51yu7.jpg
    anselmoso wrote:
    Here's a scan of a PES 2009 article I found: Here's a scan of a PES 2009 article I found: To sum it up: - Improved player responsiveness when passing - Stronger KI, even on middle difficulty much more difficult than PES 2008 - Improved player models (more polygons) and animations - Rain has more impact on players and ball than before, players stumble, shoots are incalculable and you have to be prepared for stronger rubbing when passing the ball They're also talking about a "human-machine-system", which I don't completely understand from the article. They say that in this control variant you're passing and receiving player at once and have to work together with the KI. They go on that this mode works quite well but unfortunately the traditional variant was cancelled from the game....but I have no clue what they mean with "traditional manual variant". Somehow this doesn't read like the "Be a Legend" mode. Anyway, article sounds positive - but we also had those before PES 2008 came out;)

EDIT:

From reading the thread - the "Human-Machine" thing seems a little odd, but possible a good addition to the game if integrated well (and if I understand the implication...)

My understanding is this...

You can set the player switching so that you do not automatically control the player in possesion. You can set it so that you can run off the ball and have the computer pass the ball to you, or get into space and then switch to the player on the ball and play the ball in yourself.

It sounds kinda interesting, but it could be a mess - it mentions in the article that the 'manual-mode' was canceled in this 'variant'. Which could mean it is not in this version of the game (09) or iteration of 09 (beta). Hopefully it is an optional way to play cause although the article says it actually works better then it sounds, i don['t really like the sound of it.

EDIT2:

Seems the Human Machine thing is the implementation of the Manual Switching that has been in all pro games.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

It's going to take something a little special, as the last two iterations were complete toss, they somehow Fifa'd the game, while Fifa Proevo'd theres - resulting in Fifa actually being the better game...

zAbbo wrote: »
    It's going to take something a little special, as the last two iterations were complete toss, they somehow Fifa'd the game, while Fifa Proevo'd theres - resulting in Fifa actually being the better game...

I disagree - both by the fact I actually liked PES6 on the ps2 (still play it occasionally with a mate) and by virtue of the fact that I think PES08 is still more fun to play than Fifa08.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Cheers for the screens, +1 for still playing PES6.

• Advertisement

Here is a translation of the article by the same guy on WENB.
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2009 King Soccer rules the PS3 - can Konami win the title again?

The virtual football season '09 is opened. After EA already gave the starting shot with Fifa 09, Konami invited us into their holy halls as well. Our mission: Exclusively laying hands on PES 2009 and report on it in our magazine. We didn't need to be asked twice and can now reveal to you how last year's champion starts into the new season.

New year, new luck

While EA is directing FIFA in the right direction year after year, Konami has already been on the right path for a long time: No other game simulates germany's no 1 sport as realistically as the PES franchise. But in the past year they tripped themselves up with PES 2008: Due to an immature presentation they gave the competitor the possibility to reduce the distance. But with PES 2009 the biggest japanese publisher apparently has learned their lesson: although we were playing a very early version, the events on the green grass proceeded as soft as butter and already left very good impressions. How does the Konami-kick play?

AI-cleverness

On the first look it seems as if not much has changed. But we looked closer: the players now react faster to your orders and have improved in controlling and handling the ball. In previous PES installations the players sometimes reacted delayed in time, so that for example a pass was performed only seconds later and hence went into touch. In PES 2009 the AI recognizes when you want to play a pass and either passes the ball directly or not at all. Anyhow the AI seems to have trained a lot in the last months. Positional play and aggressiveness on normal difficulty are already shockingly well developed. The CPU constricts you in your own half and closes up empty rooms so well that you have to find the gap in handball-manner. Only too well that you can use the new AI-cleverness for own benefit thanks to the new manual controls.

Human-Machine-System

In this new control variant you are the passing and receiving player
    at the same time and have to work with the AI. When your team has the
    ball the AI is controlling the ball until you push L1. Then you control
    the player with the ball and play the intelligent pass to the CPU which
    then only has to put the bullet into the net and you take the lead.
    Alternatively you can let the AI serve you: run into free space and
    wait for the throughpass of your AI controlled teammate. The manual control only sounds complicated in theory - on the grass
    human and machine harmonize surprisingly well. Unfortunatelly the
    traditional manual control was cancelled for this variant. Apart from that you only have the choice between automatic and half-automatic control.

Technically versed

As mentioned above, PES 2009 already cuts a fine figure. The game has also advanced graphically: players look slightly better than last year thanks to higher polygon count and also learned some new animations. They now demand the ball with wild gesticulations, stumble to the ground apart from the events and when it's raining they slide especially long on the grass. Rainy weather has a deep impact on your players anyway: even your star-players make unfamiliar misplays, shots race even more unpredictable towards the keeper and when passing you have to calculate on higher rubbing.

The known Master League and Cup modes are still in PES 2009. Unfortunately we can make no words about the the new star: a complete new mode which lets your saved data also play against your friends online. Curios soccer-fans should organize themselves some tickets for the Games Convention in Leipzig on the 20th of August and force open the Konami booth - with kind regards from the play3-team!

Opinion

PES 2009 hits Fifa on the break: Certainly the wheel isn't reinvented, but the gameplay has evolved with subtle improvements. Especially the controls aren't as ponderous as last year. Additionally the manual controls absolutely convinced me. The cooperation with the aggressive and clever acting AI is a lot of fun and simulates team-feeling even without other human players. Nevertheless I think it's a pity that the conventional manual controls have been cancelled from the game, at least in this early version we've played. Technically PES 2009 already makes all right and lets you quickly forget last year's immature debut on the PS3. I hope for a similar well working online-mode, cause playfully PES 2009 is already the measure of all things, that's for sure.

Rating tendency: 90%

Not much more to it than the summary. King of football last year etc will get the backs up of a few people who contend that Fifa was the better game (you all know I disagree - good game but PES is still the one I play and i own both)

I'm still not entirely convinced about this 'human-machine' thing, if it is a replacement for the manual player switching than I'm ok with that as i do not use it anyway, but I hope they have not taken away the way the game has always played in that you automatically gain control of th eplayer being passed to (though having the option to switch to a runner could be good) Hopefully there will be some clarification on this issue soon, cause it could be a make or break issue - imo at least.

As ever, I remain cautiously optimistic.

Cheers Tauren. I don't know about the H-M either, but I'm gonna pass no judgement on it until I see for myself.

The WENB guys are getting a full day to play PES09 on their own, on Monday 18th, and they said they should have the podcast up that night giving their views on it.

18th is going to be a big day for me with regards to PES09 - if Adam and Suff like it then it'll be looking good, but if they don't.....

Roll on Monday anyway.

Roll on Monday anyway.
    Jesus, give us a chance to have me weekend first!! :p

No, this is pro evo man - FAR MORE IMPORTANT!! :D

Update on the WENB playtest - the guys will still be playing it on Monday, and they will be playing a more complete version of the game than will be available at Leipzip, but they will not be able to publish their preview opinions until Wednesday 20th, the first day of Leipzig. Don't know if that means midnight Tuesday/Wednesday or something like 9am on Wednesday.

http://www.winningelevenblog.com/news/pes-2009-key-additions-listed/
    Credit to the guys at PESfan.com who have listed all the key improvements to PES 2009 this year. Here they are:

Gameplay:
    Close control more intuitive:
    • Manual cursor control
    • Adjusted trick control for easier control – more within natural control parameters than via special movements

Ball movement more realistic:
    • Ball has always been treated as separate entity, but 2009 has new air resistance calculations for trajectory of ball
    • Instant control. Buttons presses are no longer stored, making for a crisper playing style
    • Heavier foot-in tackles, depending on the length X is depressed
    • New friction routines to affect ball movement in terms of ground conditions
    • Backspin routines calculated so ball slows accordingly
    • The bounce of the ball can be used more effectively: players can flick the ball up to tee a shot, or to lift it over a defender’s trailing leg
    • Skills are now integrated more into the game. If a player has the ability, they will be able to perform deft turns others cannot and will be able to feint and shimmy within the confines of the control system
    • Player has to compensate for heaviness of ground when weighting passes in wet conditions or frozen ground

Teamvision enhanced:
    • Tactics change according to situation
    • Better off-the-ball movement – running to receive passes, etc
    • AI recognizes strategies that work and accumulates data on an ongoing basis within Master League and League modes

Visuals:
    Stadiums:
    • Graphic depiction of weather conditions unique to each stadium
    • Much more detailed lighting effects that mimic the time of day more closely
    • Key new grounds like Wembley, in total about 20 stadiums
    • LED Boardings (PS3 and 360 versions only)
    Players:
    • All new players models in game: everything reworked for additional detail
    • Specific new animations to make the game flow more: players now stumble, place a hand down so as to keep running
    • More individuality to movement of players: running and kicking styles, for instance: Ronaldo’s stance before a free kick

Camera:
    • New vertical camera, allowing end-to-end view including ‘Player Focus’ zoom, panning in on key one-on-one situations
    • New distance drawing techniques using adjusted chromatic fields

Front End - Menus:
    • All new, clearer menu system
    • Match stats now on sub-menus if required
    • Much improved music choice

Edit:
    Sound:

• In addition to the importation of graphic data, music and crowd chants can also be added
    Graphics:
    • Pixel Paint function allows users to create team badges from scratch

Game Modes:
    Become a Legend:
    • New long-term mode sees player guiding one player to glory
    • Control the destiny of a midfield/striking star
    • Player works within team structure, akin to popular ‘Fix’ mode – assisting play, scoring goals, etc
    • Default vertical view
    • Dedicated development data for player as game progresses
    • Full range of transfer opportunities: but fail to play well and you will be demoted to bench or even transferred
    • Based on popular Japanese mode, first time in Europe

Legends:
    • Online version of ‘Become a Legend’
    • Use player created in solo mode
    • Play online with other ‘fixed’ position friends
    • Intricate play and teamwork rewarded with PES points
    • Upload finest moments for others to view and rate

Master League
    • More intuitive menus
    • Easier to understand two-tier negotiations: team level and individual terms
    • Loyalty: players unhappy with terms, etc, will not play as well. A happy player will play better.

The lack of updates for Master League looks rather startling but apart from that Konami have outdone themselves with the new additions. What are your favourite new features? Let us know on the forums!
    Still haven't heard anything about random selection matches, hopefully they make a return in this version.

delighted they have at least reworked the negotiations in master league.

Oh yeah - it was TheBoss on PESfan that played it, and he is 'impressed' with it - a return to konami focusing on making a football game

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

sounds good, im really looking forward to be a pro and be a pro online, that will be very interesting, people say it wont work, people wont work coherently

but screw that, i see a boards.ie team forming

I'd certainly be up for joining a boards team - will let my agent know, obviously i will be fielding many offers for my Anderson-like midfield play. :D

• Advertisement

well listen ive been tabled an offer but i told them i need a midfield genius to split defenses for me

i'll do the rest

in fact lets call positions now for a boards team and when the game is out next month( end of september isnt it?)
    we can try out the team

i'd like to play FCL

I'd like the roaming central midfielder role - the role Xavi/Fabregas/Anderson are suited to! CM CALLED.

What is a FCL though?

As for the games release - October 15th from what i have heard so far, but that is a wednesday so i'm not 100% sure. Luckily, I have that week, and the following week off work!

FCL would be forward Centre on the left side, i'd be a right footed striker and i like cutting in henry style so i'd prefer to come at the defense left sided as the striker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

To be honest, I'd prefer that they tidied up the rest of the game before getting a new mode in. Online, for one. Menus and general presentation for another. Its ok to have these types of menus on a PS2/Xbox game, but for PC with a mouse, its simply unacceptable to have such a crappy menu system, especially when in edit mode. The transfer system in Master League (bit of consistency and/or realism here wouldn't go amiss, as well as letting the user know why their offer was rejected).

The be a legend thing does seem interesting, and I'd look forward to playing it, but I'd like to see them put the effort in in existing areas before getting bogged down in something else. I mean they already have Fifa down to rights in the simulation and gameplay area (though less than before), if they stuck a bit into the polish and licensing area, even if it took them another year to produce the game, they'd be well up on Fifa.

the lost revenue sticking another year into it will mean less developers for the game, its all finance and such

give it a chance, it sounds like they've put a lot of effort into game menu's and the football aspect

if the online system works, then seeya later fifa

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    To be honest, I'd prefer that they tidied up the rest of the game before getting a new mode in. Online, for one. Menus and general presentation for another. Its ok to have these types of menus on a PS2/Xbox game, but for PC with a mouse, its simply unacceptable to have such a crappy menu system, especially when in edit mode. The transfer system in Master League (bit of consistency and/or realism here wouldn't go amiss, as well as letting the user know why their offer was rejected).

The be a legend thing does seem interesting, and I'd look forward to playing it, but I'd like to see them put the effort in in existing areas before getting bogged down in something else. I mean they already have Fifa down to rights in the simulation and gameplay area (though less than before), if they stuck a bit into the polish and licensing area, even if it took them another year to produce the game, they'd be well up on Fifa.

It is stated in the pesfan post i quoted that it will now tell you if your offer was rejected by the club or the player in ML mode.

Also, i don't get your problem with the menus, but then i am a console player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭NotWormBoy

It is stated in the pesfan post i quoted that it will now tell you if your offer was rejected by the club or the player in ML mode.

Nuts, I sped read it! Thats what you get! That point retracted. ;-)
    Also, i don't get your problem with the menus, but then i am a console player.

It just irks me that I have to use such a time consuming interface (pad or keyboard alone) to edit something on a PC when mouse support should really be enabled. I use a pad for playing, and I wouldn't swap it for anything else, but for menus, editing, changing names, etc, I just wish that PC players could take advantage of their quicker and more precise mouse when not actually ingame. Its not something that will stop me buying Pro Evo, I've gotten every version I could on PC so far and I will probably buy this next version too. Its just irritating.

I suppose its a symptom of PC gaming becoming increasing "tainted" by porting for the more popular console market, if one wanted to look at it like that.
    the lost revenue sticking another year into it will mean less developers for the game, its all finance and such

Yeah, you're probably right. Its just sad though, that they have to pump out a game a year for the best soccer sim out there and as such can't put as much attention into it as it probably deserves.

NotWormBoy wrote: »
    Nuts, I sped read it! Thats what you get! That point retracted. ;-)

It just irks me that I have to use such a time consuming interface (pad or keyboard alone) to edit something on a PC when mouse support should really be enabled. I use a pad for playing, and I wouldn't swap it for anything else, but for menus, editing, changing names, etc, I just wish that PC players could take advantage of their quicker and more precise mouse when not actually ingame. Its not something that will stop me buying Pro Evo, I've gotten every version I could on PC so far and I will probably buy this next version too. Its just irritating.

I suppose its a symptom of PC gaming becoming increasing "tainted" by porting for the more popular console market, if one wanted to look at it like that.

Yeah, you're probably right. Its just sad though, that they have to pump out a game a year for the best soccer sim out there and as such can't put as much attention into it as it probably deserves.
    suppose yeah - use of the mouse for editing, especially if the editing features are 'full' on this new version in comparison to 08, would make it a lot easier and quicker.

if lack of mouse to edit is your biggest qualm with a game then konami are onto a winner

seriously minor thing, for a footy game i'd be more worried about, well, the football
    im sure they have a suggestion box, the game hasnt gone gold. put your opinion across, it might be a simple addition they overlooked

worth a try

• Advertisement

I'd like the roaming central midfielder role - the role Xavi/Fabregas/Anderson are suited to! CM CALLED.
    Tauren!?! I'm shocked! You should know you are not aloud to mention such infierior midfielders in the same sentence as Anderson!!!

Advertisement