Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wet cough in a baby

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hey there,
    I wanted to know if i should be concerned about my 8 month old son, he has a wet cough and snuffley nose since he was 3 months old. Ive been to the doctor and he said its just reoccuring infections but no one in our house has had any for 3 months and ive kept him away from others for that length too. He still has it .. i worry about BHR, should i get a second opinion or has anyone else had this:o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If your not happy then do get a second opinion from another dr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Get a second opinion if you're unsure. At the end of the day, advice from people on here might be temporarily comforting but if it persists you'll end up going to the doctor anyway, so better safe than sorry, just go now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

Hey there,
    I wanted to know if i should be concerned about my 8 month old son, he has a wet cough and snuffley nose since he was 3 months old. Ive been to the doctor and he said its just reoccuring infections but no one in our house has had any for 3 months and ive kept him away from others for that length too. He still has it .. i worry about BHR, should i get a second opinion or has anyone else had this:o

Just a thought, he may have some sort of allergy make sure his room is well ventilated, hoovered daily and try and let his bed be aired as often as you can....

But the doctor or public health nurse should be able to help you..

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Roots-Sinead

I would nearly swear that he's got a teething cough. My DD used to get that awful wet cough all the time. My suggestion would be to take him off dairy stuff like yoghurts completely. The lactose in dairy stuff creates excess mucus which lines the sinus area, throat and stomach. If you can do this it should make a difference within a day or two. Also as he's only 8 months I think you could try watering down his formula bottles - if he's on formula. If you're feeding him yourself you won't have a problem. With the formula make sure it's warm and perhaps for each 6 scoops add 9 oz of water. When he comes off formula use soya milk. I used it each time my daughter teethed. I came up with this solution myself after being prescribed three antibiotics on three occasions for bronchial issues....didn't need them at all.
    PM me if you want to chat more about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭lostinnappies

Hey there just a quick update,

It turns out he has a deviated septum in his nose ... meaning the mucus cant drain properly and he has to breath through his mouth (so he catches more chest infections then normal). Hopefully as he grows so will his nose and it will rectify itself if not and its causing problems then we will have to go the surgery route.

but thankyou to all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭the glass woman

Sorry to hear that lostinnappies. Hope the little one isn't in too much discomfort x

Advertisement