Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A3 Photo printers & external ink tank systems

• 23-07-2008 3:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone out there has any feedback on either the Epson Stylus 1400 or the Canon Pixma Pro 9000 as a printer for cranking out 16x12 and A3 prints, especially on nice Ilford papers?

Secondly, has anybody got any experience using external ink tank systems link this one in terms of cost of ownership, and more importantly print quality & reliability?

Epson%201400.jpg

Cheers peeps,
    Paul.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

I saw images from that Canon Pro 9000 & they were flawless!
    Stunning quality!
    Seems to be real value too at around €700

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Cheers City-Exile, firsthand knowledge is always the best to have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The new Epson 2880 is €680 from www.elara.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

be very very careful with those tank systems

i have seen very bad things happen

they dont use the same ink, and so head can be blocked etc, but worse is the longevity of the prints as the inks can fade in no time at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

stcstc wrote: »
    be very very careful with those tank systems

i have seen very bad things happen

they dont use the same ink, and so head can be blocked etc, but worse is the longevity of the prints as the inks can fade in no time at all

i have an epson a4 print with one of the ciss systems. cheap as chips to run. i have printed 100's of photos and over 2000 colour newsletters and still on first set of bottled ink. set of bottled ink less than €10.

not sure about the a3 but assume they are similar. on svp there is alot of mixed feedback on the ciss systems. got mine there and it is super.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Cheers all, will go have a look at SVP. If i had know they sold them I might have ordered one last week as I was putting an order in with them, doh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 296 ✭✭Obskure

Guys, I'm reviving a dead thread, I know, But Who is SVP? I have a CISS with an R1800 printer for sublimation purposes but am looking at buying a R1900 + CISS as well, for the odd A3+ photo print! Cheers!

ciss systems only really make sense if you have it running a lot. if its for the odd print just use normal cartridges

I would be nervous of thrird party inks anyway, the longevity is rubbish generally. and so if you sell or give someone a print, dont expect it to last very long at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I was only talking print last night with border on another thread. Stephen since you are the printing expert, if I was to save a few quid to get a photo printer of my own up to 10 x 8 say, what would you recommend, I'd need to get a printer decent photo paper. I'd love to be able to print my own super glossy wipeable shots or the type that I spoke of before, kind of rough finish but not as rough as your laminated finish. Also I'd like it to print in 4 x 6 and 5 x 7 as well.....

edited to say I would defo use the proper ink, I'd hate to cover a wedding and then the pictures be faded 10 years later.

i do a glossy version of the laminated stuff too

but you need a laminator as well as a printer to make them wipeable

if you want to do just up to A4 prints, then one of the canon or epsons with 8 inks

idealy the pigment based inks

but like i say to do the wipeable bit, you need a proper laminator

they cost about 1K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

There is photo paper thatis wipeable, it is only recently out and prints in boots machines are done on this also the prints from mypix are done using it. Maybe it just suits high end printers but it is defo not laminated, it is just as thin as a normal photo only super glossy so it can be wiped.

Last week I had posters laid out on a table at boxing, when I returned guys had pints all over them, I just took out a tissue and wiped them clean, easy peasy.

what kind of prints are they, are you sure they are not solvent laminated

some of the kiosk type printers have a liquid lamination system built in

mine are done with a plastic film laminate, which is thicker, but generally gives more protection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

There is photo paper thatis wipeable, it is only recently out and prints in boots machines are done on this

stcstc wrote: »
    what kind of prints are they, are you sure they are not solvent laminated

It's Kodak Digital Luminous Paper, high gloss but it's not laminated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Borderfox wrote: »
    The new Epson 2880 is €680 from www.elara.ie

dabs.ie have it for €546

• Registered Users Posts: 41 panorton

I have used ciss systems in both a Canon i9100 and i9950 printer. Various quality inks are available but neither system has been a sucess for me. I intend to replace the spongless cartridges with sponge type in the i9950 system and try it again but the i9100 system leaked ink into the printer and caused it to enter protection mode which I was told was an un-ecomonic repair.

Advertisement