Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Question regarding car services

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Okay so say every year I get my brand X car serviced in the brand x authorised dealer service workshop and anytime they do the service if brake pads or other parts need replacing I go to an independent and get them to do the work because they are cheaper.

When I go to sell the car can I honestly say it's had a full brand x service history even though someone else did the other work? The dealer did the service but someone else did the other work, is it really still a full brand x history?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭walshy123

in my own opinion i would say yes. i would quiet happily change the pads myself, and bring it to the garage for the regular service. i would then honestly believe thats a full service history

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Okay so say every year I get my brand X car serviced in the brand x authorised dealer service workshop and anytime they do the service if brake pads or other parts need replacing I go to an independent and get them to do the work because they are cheaper.

When I go to sell the car can I honestly say it's had a full brand x service history even though someone else did the other work? The dealer did the service but someone else did the other work, is it really still a full brand x history?

Well unless the car has a means of telling when the brake pads, for example, have been changed then there is no way the dealer will know. You could for instance drive on motorways all the time and never really use your brakes. In other words it won't invalidate your warranty as there is no way that the dealer can tell that you have had someone elso work on the car.

I would however advise that you use OEM parts when you are getting any work done to your car.

Some cars can record a lot of info however. My mates 3-series was in Joe Duffy's and they were able to tell that the car had been at full throttle for less than average for a 318 but had been on more bumpy roads, again on average.

Advertisement