Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

XBMC 1080i

• 23-07-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Recently setup XBMC and am interested in peoples experiences using same. Under normal definition, I am pleased with the quality. However, when I put it into HD (either 720 or 1080), I get some serious ghosting on the image. I belive the cable to be of good quality so just curious as to the results that others are getting?

Cheers,
    Jab

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Sounds like a component cable issue to me. I have XBMC running in 720p using MS official component cables and the image is flawless.
    Did you get the cables off eBay? They're all very cheap knockoffs IMO and lead to the exact issue you describe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

How is it possible to get HD out of the xbox1? My understanding is that it cannot handle native HD.

Ghosting is a trait of 1080i, not a lot of content is suitable for it. Sky sports for example broadcast sports in 720p due to the constant movement, with 1080i being the max they broadcast in.

For HD media I'd recommend the Popcorn Hour A100. But you'll still need to hang onto your XBMC for everything non video related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭ongarite

Yep you can get 720p & 1080i out of the ole' XBOX. Some games even supported these resolutions.
    The PAL XBOX supports on 576i out of the box but if you have it modded you can change your XBOX region to US/NTSC and enable the HD resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭Calibos

Gegerty wrote: »
    How is it possible to get HD out of the xbox1? My understanding is that it cannot handle native HD.

Ghosting is a trait of 1080i, not a lot of content is suitable for it. Sky sports for example broadcast sports in 720p due to the constant movement, with 1080i being the max they broadcast in.

For HD media I'd recommend the Popcorn Hour A100. But you'll still need to hang onto your XBMC for everything non video related.

It can just about manage some mpeg2 720p but you are correct, it can't handle native HD....file playback. Its well worth getting a component cable and enabling 720p however if using XBMC on a plasma, LCD or PJ though. Menu's look much better and sharper, visualisations look better. Photo's etc. XBMC also upscales your SD vids probably better than the TV.

In short it can upscale very well to 720p but cannot play 720p files.

It also not worth running in 1080i though even for the reasons I stated above. Menu's and sd vids can get a bit jerky when upscaled that much. Not quite enough power in the old warhorse xbox.

All is well with the world however. XBMC ports to Windows, Linux and OSX continue apace and almost fully functionally. Almost at the stage now where we will know the difinitive minimum hardware spec for full perfect 1080p playback. Then we can all start building our shuttle case PC's or laying down the cash for the latest mac mini's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Interesting, I might invest in a component cable for it...just for the heck of it :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭jabaroon

Calibos wrote: »
    It can just about manage some mpeg2 720p but you are correct, it can't handle native HD....file playback. Its well worth getting a component cable and enabling 720p however if using XBMC on a plasma, LCD or PJ though. Menu's look much better and sharper, visualisations look better. Photo's etc. XBMC also upscales your SD vids probably better than the TV.

In short it can upscale very well to 720p but cannot play 720p files.

It also not worth running in 1080i though even for the reasons I stated above. Menu's and sd vids can get a bit jerky when upscaled that much. Not quite enough power in the old warhorse xbox.

All is well with the world however. XBMC ports to Windows, Linux and OSX continue apace and almost fully functionally. Almost at the stage now where we will know the difinitive minimum hardware spec for full perfect 1080p playback. Then we can all start building our shuttle case PC's or laying down the cash for the latest mac mini's.

Hi Calibos,

That confirms my suspicions, thanks for that. Can you tell me where you got your component cable? Although I now know that I cant play HD movies, I am still unhappy with the ghosting in general on the menus etc....so am assuming that my cable is screwey and will need a new one.

THanks,
    Jab

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭Wolff

monster component cable of the old xbox can still be got on ebay - hand optical out link for dolby digital as well

Very good quality as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Apologies for thread necromancy, but didn't see much point in starting a new thread. Does anyone happen to know where I'd pick up one of the HD component cables in Dublin, or failing that a UK online shop ?

Everyone online I find is US or china based and I didn't want to wait several weeks before getting the cable

Advertisement