Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Riding - hats, backbraces etc

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:38pm

So, how strict are peopel here with hats, backbraces etc?

I will always wear a hat, and if its cross-country I will try and ride in saftey irons, but I don't normally wear a back protector.

Would you ride without a hat? 22 votes

No - I always wear a hat
    0% 0 votes
    Maybe - I won't wear one the odd time
    68% 15 votes
    Maybe - I wouldn't always wear one
    22% 5 votes
    Yes - I don't normally wear one
    4% 1 vote
    Yes - I only wear one for competition
    0% 0 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    4% 1 vote

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭togster

Same as above.

Should wear a back protector but i have yet to wear one which isn't restrictive. Poor excuse though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

The jockey back protectors are great. Much lighter and more flexible, but unfortunately not pony club or xc legal.

I'd always wear a newish hat (replace them regularly) and wear a back protector for hunting/xc.

I'm also pretty anal about my tack (bridle especially) being in good nick.

Getting feet caught in stirrups is a big fear of mine, but seemingly peacock irons are only suitable for children. What do you use Zaraba? there are other quick release styles arent there? Such as mountain horse...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

I always wear a hat, havent got a back protector though.

Has anyone seen those stirrups with no sides on them? They have a longer foot rest on them which extends further outwards.

Ah i'm not explaining myself very well.

Is that not a saftey iron minus the elastic?

• Advertisement

Is that not a saftey iron minus the elastic?

Yup but they have a spring in them. I saw them at a show here.

I'll look them up!

I've seen them Togster.

Not sure I like the idea of them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

togster wrote: »
    Has anyone seen those stirrups with no sides on them? They have a longer foot rest on them which extends further outwards.

Ah i'm not explaining myself very well.

are they the ones whereby you have to have the riding boots to go with them - ie they slot into the stirrup, something similar to what cyclists have on their shoes so they attach to the pedals? I've seen Darragh Kenny use them.

MDFM wrote: »
    are they the ones whereby you have to have the riding boots to go with them - ie they slot into the stirrup, something similar to what cyclists have on their shoes so they attach to the pedals? I've seen Darragh Kenny use them.

Thats the Mountain Horse Safety system afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Kens

I always wear my hat, I have a back protector somewhere worn once now gathering dust & I have safety irons similar to these http://www.horsetackinternational.com/foot-free-safety-stirrup-irons.html?zenid=81aaa0749cd78d7ef7af344a2f035444

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

When I was younger I used to do flat work without a hat in the middle of summer, but now that I'm riding young horses most of the time, I wear a hat every day!

Usually I wouldn't wear a back protector, except for racing, hunter-trialling, riding gallops and competing young horses.

Regarding safety stirrups, I use safety stirrups all the time, except when riding gallops and when racing. I got a fall where I was dragged when I was about 7, and have ridden in safety stirrups since (the ones with rubber - peacock stirrups, I think?)

convert wrote: »
    I got a fall where I was dragged when I was about 7, and have ridden in safety stirrups since (the ones with rubber - peacock stirrups, I think?)

Seemingly people over 8 stone are not supposed to ride in peacocks as they had a problem with sudden failures... i.e. the things can snap.

I dont like peacocks myself either because the elastic is no good for riding in rough country.

I am well over 8 stone and I use these stirrups - never had a problem.

Like I said.. they can fail without warning. And I would imagine its most likely to happen when the metal is under most stress... i.e. at speed.

I'm looking for a link to back that up btw. Its just something I've heard for a few years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

I always wear a hat and am going to get a back protector (probably a racesafe one) when I get into jumping again. Might also get some sort of safety stirrups even though I don't like the look of them! as I know somebody who fell and got dragged quite a bit, not very nice I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i always wear my hat just because my stables makes me.
    i wear my back protector on each lesson but if i get too hot ive taken it off the odd time but not frequently.
    ive done a horse back safari in south africa with no hat,safety irons or back protector.probably the roughest riding ive done and the most likely timw e i would have fallen off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭convert

I am well over 8 stone and I use these stirrups - never had a problem.

I've never had a problem with them either. I've had the current pair of stirrups for at least 10 years and they're perfect (I regularly check them, but that's me just been fussy - I check all my tack daily!).

I've actually found the lightweight aluminium stirrups to be more of a problem as they are inclined to lose shape much more easily! I'd only ever use them for dressage or on the gallops (need to keep the weight to a minimum), but I use the peacocks for everything else from hunting to show jumping and eventing.

Though maybe I've just been lucky with the peacocks?!

And, KG, I agree with you, they don't look the nicest, but I'd rather have ugly stirrups than be dragged again!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Sometimes I don't wear a hat when I'm riding at home... I only wear a back protector when it's compulsory - when hunter trialling/XC or cross-country schooling at certain venues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

Hat, always always! I wouldn't get on without one, fallen on my head too many times when i was younger! I have only worn a back protector a few times since the place i ride started making it a requirement for XC. Infact i only even wear one then if someone notices im not wearing one! I just hate the feeling of being strapped in like that.

Advertisement