Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pain in me head (aswel as me arse)!!!

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭

Trying to get back into cycling of late. Went for a spin last night (about 25km) but about half way into the ride started getting quite bad pain in the base of my skull. Reckon the bike is not setup correctly for me. Any tips on avoiding these sort of headaches? Would lowering the handlebars/higher saddle work?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Are you saying you had a headache, not a neck ache?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭snollup

prob more head then neck. reckon it stems from too much pressure on the neck tho.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Maybe I should rephrase that and ask if its muscular pain or a headache as in a hangover type headache.

If you're new to riding, or have been off the bike a long time, you'll often get a stiff neck from adjusting to the position. If it doesn't go away, then it's time to start worrying about the setup.

thanks - will keep an eye on it.
    anywhere good for getting general advise on setting up a bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

I got the same on my first couple of rides on the new road bike. I was holding my head in an unaccustomed position and reckon it was muscular pain in the muscles between my head and neck (most likely the trapezius), where it meets the head. This went away immediately after the cycle and diminished over the next couple of cycles. No problems now.

Is this similar to your experience?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Aquinas73 wrote: »

There's a good lot of info on that site, but his beard freaks me out too much to pay attention.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

bwardrop wrote: »
    I got the same on my first couple of rides on the new road bike. I was holding my head in an unaccustomed position and reckon it was muscular pain in the muscles between my head and neck (most likely the trapezius), where it meets the head. This went away immediately after the cycle and diminished over the next couple of cycles. No problems now.

Is this similar to your experience?

That's exactly it. I wont panic yet then! Thanks.

There's a good lot of info on that site, but his beard freaks me out too much to pay attention.

got a bit of a fright when i saw the homepage alright:eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭Traumadoc

Probably occipitalis, the muscle for looking up, the same pain you get in the back of our head when you visit New York for the first time

• Advertisement
Advertisement