Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside gets its first Mosque on Talbot Street

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭

Its good that the Northside is getting a new Mosque but is Talbot Street the right place?

Herald.ie

City centre mosque to go ahead despite objections
    By Kevin Doyle

Monday July 21 2008

PERMISSION has been granted for a controversial mosque in Dublin city centre.

An Bord Pleanala has cleared the way for the conversion of the three upper floors of two buildings on Talbot Street into the first inner-city mosque.

However, the decision is likely to be met with disdain from a number of local businesses who objected to the development.

The Anwar-E-Madina mosque is the first to be located on the northside of Dublin, according to worshippers.

It opened last Thursday, after receipt of permission from the planning board, but it will not be permitted to broadcast prayers. The protracted planning process seemed to have been completed when Dublin City Council granted planning permission last December. However, neighbouring businesses appealed that decision to An Bord Pleanala.

street

Their argument was that a busy commercial street was not suitable for a mosque.

It is situated on the upper three floors of numbers 8 and 9 Talbot Street which backs onto the Department of Education buildings on Marlborough Street.

The ground floor of number eight is occupied by the Rayhoon Italian restaurant, while number nine is home to Lagan Furniture on its ground floor.

The upper floors had remained vacant since 2006, before which they had been used for various non-retail commercial purposes.

Objections to the mosque were made by the owners of Langan Furniture, Rayhoon and the neighbouring discount store Euro Shop.

Ray Ferris, owner of Euro Shop, claimed the mosque "will cause damage on my business and also would reduce my customers". He said it would "not be a great idea" for other retailers, given that it was a commercial street.

Keumars Zolfaghari of Rayhoon cited the same reasons in his objection.

Tony Langan, of Langan Furniture, said there could be "up to 250 people outside my door or the front of my shop while they are waiting or coming from the mosque". However, the developers of the mosque had the Minister of State with responsibility for integration, Conor Lenihan, on their side.

He made a representation in favour of the mosque, saying it would only be particularly busy on Friday nights, and that most people would arrive by bus or on foot.

- Kevin Doyle

Im not sure this is appropriate on a main busy shopping street? The again maybe you could argue there are plenty of churches on busy shopping streets so why not Mosques aswell? However I feel this is Dublin going down the regional UK city route with regard to citing mosques in prominent locations like shopping areas. What do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the rooms above shops are rarely used, might as well have it there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

I bet Christians wouldn't be afforded the same privilege on Grafton Street.This is pure pandering to Muslims.Nobody would dare to be less than PC by refusing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

oh it you again, tablot street is not grafton street

oh it you again, tablot street is not grafton street
    Wow! i never realised that.How stupid of me.And yes,it's me again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Won’t there be an issue of them coming and going all day every day?
    Yes, it’s a commercial street so there are thousands of people around but I’m thinking of a queue of 100 plus queuing on the street so as to attend morning, afternoon and evening prayer. (think there are 5 sessions afaik)

I’m see there aren’t using loudspeakers or broadcasting onto the street which is good I suppose

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

micmclo wrote: »
    Won’t there be an issue of them coming and going all day every day?
    Yes, it’s a commercial street so there are thousands of people around but I’m thinking of a queue of 100 plus queuing on the street so as to attend morning, afternoon and evening prayer. (think there are 5 sessions afaik)

I’m see there aren’t using loudspeakers or broadcasting onto the street which is good I suppose

The other problem I forsee is that that area tends to be frequented by people from the likes of the former Sheriff street area and places like that. Not the most enlightened of folks you will see down there so id be worried about the implications of that. I think its situated in an area that could lead to tensions. I dont think this has been fully thought through tbh. Then again many Northside areas are like that anyway. If its not put there then where else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

darkman2 wrote: »
    The other problem I forsee is that that area tends to be frequented by people from the likes of the former Sheriff street area and places like that. Not the most enlightened of folks you will see down there so id be worried about the implications of that. I think its situated in an area that could lead to tensions. I dont think this has been fully thought through tbh. Then again many Northside areas are like that anyway. If its not put there then where else?

Nice generalisation there of the northside:eek:.

They could always have a few prayer meetings down Pearse st way :D

Why not have the mosque in the IFSC?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

gurramok wrote: »
    Nice generalisation there of the northside:eek:.

Dont worry - I was born on the Northside, grew up on the Northside, and kinda live on the Northside so im in posistion to generalise.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

The other problem I forsee is that that area tends to be frequented by people from the likes of the former Sheriff street area and places like that.

Is that a racist comment? ;) Talbot St. is also frequented by large numbers of muslims.
    I bet Christians wouldn't be afforded the same privilege on Grafton Street.This is pure pandering to Muslims.Nobody would dare to be less than PC by refusing them.

There IS a big church just off Grafton St. And a great big ****ing cathedral just around the corner from Talbot St. How about that for pandering? :rolleyes:

After which they can go shopping in Lagan Furniture & Mr Ferris's Euro Shop. (If I was to object to anything on Talbot St, it would be crappy euro shops :rolleyes: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Politically correct people are retarded by default but jesus like, comparing Talbot and Grafton Street :P The King of Saudi himself would nearly be hard pressed to come up with the rent/buying money for a premises on Grafton.

Which is Talbot anyway, that street connecting O Connell and Gardiner St? Has a Dunnes offy on it, that one?

As for Sheriff Street, there is barely an Irish person living in any of the private apartments in that area anyway so if they want Johnny Foreigner bashing its on the doorstep.

No problem personally.

Although any Scientology joint should be razed to the ground.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

First of all the street would have a very small percentage of people frequenting from Sheriff St. If it's the junk scum you refer to coming from all over to wheel and deal and get shelter, that's completely different. Also, not sure whether you are aware of this but this spot is actually around the corner from the Pro Cathedral, just at North Earl St which is quite a bit away from Sheriff St I'm sure you'll agree, as well as Liberty House etc.

If it's not put there, how about the NCR, would kind of make sense. Rather than have a large gathering like that on such a busy and as it is already, narrow enough st.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    Although any Scientology joint
    Abbey Street?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

Matt Talbot wouldnt be a happy bunny. No sir, not at all.

The PC people love pandering to religions/races who actually despise their weak liberalism.Ironic that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭BendiBus

Pen1987 wrote: »

Who cares? Talbot St was named after Charles Chetwynd, 2nd Earl Talbot, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1817-21 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Where the mosque will be is by no means a busy shopping street, also I'm amused by this idea of people queueing to go in to the mosque. Wouldn't they just go in? I used to live a few doors from the mosque on the SCR and you didn't see queues. It's not like a Catholic church with all the people down the back and outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    but jesus like, comparing Talbot and Grafton Street .............

..............Which is Talbot anyway, that street connecting O Connell and Gardiner St?
    You have kinda undermined your initial comment by enquiring as to where Talbot Street is located.

North Earl Street would be in there between O'Connell Street and Talbot Street. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

You have kinda undermined your initial comment by enquiring as to where Talbot Street is located.

North Earl Street would be in there between O'Connell Street and Talbot Street. ;)

ha, true true.... :D

I think Nth Earl St is embedded in my brain from queuingto see Santy all those years ago with a big sign on the wall..... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Pen1987

BendiBus wrote: »
    Who cares? Talbot St was named after Charles Chetwynd, 2nd Earl Talbot, Lord Lieutenant of Ireland, 1817-21 :)

hah... presumed it was named after the same fella as the bridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pen1987 wrote: »

I don't think Matt Talbot ever had a moments happiness in his entire life :p

A Mosque in Talbot St, yea why not. We've enough Catholic churches scattered around the city for our thousends of non practicing catholics.

Just thinking, it would have made better sense to give them one of our churches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Mairt wrote: »
    Just thinking, it would have made better sense to give them one of our churches.

Lol... Good one. I can't believe the attitude in this thread, unbelievable, naive comments.

This being the best one...
    berliner wrote: »

Classic.

Lightening,boring old predictable contribution from a liberal,i'm so cool and liberal .Make and argument in stead of generalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

"Der takin our jerbs!"

"Der takin our jerbs!"
    You're obviously having a laugh at the uneducated people who live in council houses/flats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The PC people love pandering to religions/races who actually despise their weak liberalism.Ironic that.

Give a real reason as to why there should not be a mosque there. Are you opposed to the building of mosques anywhere or is it just the location?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

You're obviously having a laugh at the uneducated people who live in council houses/flats.

Obviously.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I don't get why allowing a Mosque on Talbot st. is Faffy Liberalism. No harm, plenty of room. And this from a lousy Dublin Jew!

Once they don't crowd me outta the poker machines in Barneys or steal all the egg and chips in Boyers then I for one ain't got no beef.
    But why is allowing a mosque pinky liberalism? Or have I misread a few posters ?

Telssya the call to morning prayer could shift a few pigeons and rattle a few Jaaasssintaaas!

I'm waiting for an Allahkebabrah to open down that way.

Verb wrote: »
    Give a real reason as to why there should not be a mosque there. Are you opposed to the building of mosques anywhere or is it just the location?
    Muslims get whatever they want.PC people like yourself pander to them.Christians can be laughed and and mocked(see examplers in this thread)but muslims can't be.C'mon,who's fooling who.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

[quote=berliner;56672649 1. but muslims can't be. 2. C'mon,who's fooling who.[/quote]
    1. Yes they can.
    2. I think your fooling yourself.

I notice that you quoted Verb yet didn't address the quote. Why would you do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I bet Christians wouldn't be afforded the same privilege on Grafton Street.

How could you say such a thing. The mosque is on TOLBAT STREET!! Not GRAFTON STREET! Look at the amount of churches in the area, look at the cathedral, go in to the church on Stephens Green, listen to the bells chime throughout the day. How the hell can you begrudge a mosque on Tolbat st? What is your arguement? Where are you coming from? Don't give me this
    "muslims get everything, jews get everything, look at the mosques, look at the synagogs...etc. Your all so pc" bull****e, tell me what your problem is? Can they not worship, they are paying rent, the buildings are empty...

Advertisement