Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northside gets its first Mosque on Talbot Street

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

humberklog wrote: »
    1. Yes they can.
    2. I think your fooling yourself.

I notice that you quoted Verb yet didn't address the quote. Why would you do that?
    It's very un-PC to mock Muslims.They threaten to kill you if you write books they don't agree with.they also murder documentary makers,politicans who they don't agree with them. .You pander to them yet ironically they despise your weak liberalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

berliner wrote: »
    Muslims get whatever they want.PC people like yourself pander to them.

You haven't presented any logical, valid argument. You label me 'PC' based on a single question where I attempt to enter debate with you, as you requested.
    Make and argument in stead of generalities.

You make hypocritical generalisations in your statement:
    Christians can be laughed and and mocked(see examplers in this thread)but muslims can't be

Your comments are worthless, backed up with no facts or information. Learn to debate an issue correctly and come back.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

It's very un-PC to mock Muslims.They threaten to kill you if you write books they don't agree with.they also murder documentary makers,politicans who they don't agree with them. .You pander to them yet ironically they despise your weak liberalism.
    What a lotta nonsense! I've only played a practical joke involving Galwegian jahova witnesses trying to pound my Muslim mate's house down. He laghed his arse off. I think you're confusing what you hear on tv with the reality of the situation. Muslim's could easily look at all Catholic's around the world and say that they all believe the pope's infallible. Now I've more cotholic mates in ireland and not one of them believes that .In fact I woke up with one the other morning and she'd no opinion on it. We had sex...I think that's not in the christian doctrine either! Go Jews!
    PS The Jehovahs were raging...feck'm!
    But Berliner none of that has anything to do with a mosque on talbot st.

My arguments are irefutable.Wake up and smell the coffee .

humberklog wrote: »
    What a lotta nonsense! I've only played a practical joke involving Galwegian jahova witnesses trying to pound my Muslim mate's house down. He laghed his arse off. I think you're confusing what you hear on tv with the reality of the situation. Muslim's could easily look at all Catholic's around the world and say that they all believe the pope's infallible. Now I've more cotholic mates in ireland and not one of them believes that .In fact I woke up with one the other morning and she'd no opinion on it. We had sex...I think that's not in the christian doctrine either! Go Jews!
    PS The Jehovahs were raging...feck'm!
    But Berliner none of that has anything to do with a mosque on talbot st.
    you don't get it.I suppose the demographic on Boards doesn't get it.Let's have a beer! Every thing's grand!

• Advertisement

My mate Indonesian Eddy has sent your post off home...he says they'll all laugh. There's about 300million of them feckers there. THey never stop laughing at their religion.
    Anyway Muslims don't get everything they want as when they die they're gonna be burning in hell as opposed to having glorious sex with 20 virgins. A muslim is sitting beside me laughing as i type. That smile will be on the other side of his face when he pops his clogs and realises he backed the wrong pony.

The above makes me realise I shouldn't take anything seriously on Boards.I'm outta here.Good luck.

you don't get it.I suppose the demographic on Boards doesn't get it.Let's have a beer! Every thing's grand!
    No mate you don't get it. Indeed let's have a beer and try and stay clear of the fox network you cheeky blinkered chrtistian.

And by the by if i was ever called a liberal it'd be the first time.

The above makes me realise I shouldn't take anything seriously on Boards.I'm outta here.Good luck.
    RAUS!! RAUS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

My arguments are irefutable.Wake up and smell the coffee .

What arguments would they be? You just call anyone who disagrees with you a "liberal" or PC nut.... You'd be offended if they called you a racist so why label someone arguing with you? How is somebody a bleeding heart liberal because they don't want to oppose the opening of a mosque. Its hardly "pandering to the Muslims", is it? More a case of it's not harming anybody so let them be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Come back! You said you'd buy us a beer! Fecking muslims, now they're costing me free pints.

Come back! You said you'd buy us a beer! Fecking muslims, now they're costing me free pints.

Allah moves in mysterious ways. And to mysterious places(talbot st.)!
    I was looking forward to that beer too. Opus dei musta been calling him away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This thread should be in Islam forum or in the beerdrinking forum, take your pick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ha!The bigot gets burnt by the Jewish guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Earth Worm Jim

darkman2 wrote: »
    The other problem I forsee is that that area tends to be frequented by people from the likes of the former Sheriff street area and places like that. Not the most enlightened of folks you will see down there so id be worried about the implications of that. I think its situated in an area that could lead to tensions. I dont think this has been fully thought through tbh. Then again many Northside areas are like that anyway. If its not put there then where else?

Funny enough I know of a mosque thats been in Castle Forbes Industrial estate for over last 5 years, this is located right on Sherrif Street (where all them "Not the most enlightened of folks" live) - I also remember one in Ballybough (in a warehouse beside croke villas) - and I have never heard or seen any trouble or tensions between the muslims and the communty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Mairt wrote: »
    I don't think Matt Talbot ever had a moments happiness in his entire life :p

A Mosque in Talbot St, yea why not. We've enough Catholic churches scattered around the city for our thousends of non practicing catholics.

Just thinking, it would have made better sense to give them one of our churches.

Mairt I like you as a poster in general, but I'm suprised by your response, I thought you were some hatred of everything on the outside Dub. What I mean I'm suprised in agood way, I never thought you were a racist or something but just resisting to 'change'. I do like your love for Dublin and hatred for people who complain about the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

Funny enough I know of a mosque thats been in Castle Forbes Industrial estate for over last 5 years, this is located right on Sherrif Street (where all them "Not the most enlightened of folks" live) - I also remember one in Ballybough (in a warehouse beside croke villas) - and I have never heard or seen any trouble or tensions between the muslims and the communty.

I personally think Muslims are brilliant for integrating in a community....I'm suprised by the reports in England cause in my experience they are welcoming to the outside.

Personally I don't think people from working class areas are racist really...if any its the more upper class that are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Mairt I like you as a poster in general, but I'm suprised by your response, I thought you were some hatred of everything on the outside Dub. What I mean I'm suprised in agood way, I never thought you were a racist or something but just resisting to 'change'. I do like your love for Dublin and hatred for people who complain about the place.

A lot of times I play up to an image.

But in reality I'm not a racist and I don't hate people in general, I mean I don't see an African and judge them on the colour of their skin, or an Asian and think he looks funny with his slanty eyes.

I judge people on their actions, and if the actions of a few spoil it for the majority, then tough sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 1ofmany

It's a joke anyway, haha. I wonder what would happen if we went to Iraq or wherever and wanted to have our''church''there. I guess i don't have to tell you what would happen...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

1ofmany wrote: »
    It's a joke anyway, haha. I wonder what would happen if we went to Iraq or wherever and wanted to have our''church''there. I guess i don't have to tell you what would happen...:pac:

Iraq was a secular state under Saddam. Tariq Aziz was a devout Catholic apparently and even met the Pope once or twice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

That comment comes across as both bigoted and stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churches_and_monasteries_of_Mosul

I wonder what would happen if we went to Iraq or wherever and wanted to have our''church''there. :pac:
    What's this 'our church' paleface?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭uli84

I guess everybody knows what he/she meant. I see it as a 'thinking shortcut'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Many of Saddam's top aide were also devote Christians.

You see, this is something a lot of people don't understand about the middle east.

Apart from Saudi Arabia and maybe one of two other much smaller states in the Gulf/Middle East people of all religions are free to worship whatever Gods they wish.

Iraq has one of the world oldest Jewish communities for instance. There's also Jewish & a large Christian community in Lebanon, and some in Syria too.

Some people even point a damning finger at Israel, but Muslims enjoy full democratic rights in their Knesset.

IMO regardless the religion, if it has sizable numbers here wishing to worship we should provide them a place to do just that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Jaysus, what's all the fuss about?
    The Anwar-e-Madina guys had a Mosque on Moore St. for ages, they are moving now fair play to them. So it's not exactly the first on the northside either. But never let the truth get in the way of a good story I say.

I've a business right beside one of the main dudes there and he's a true gent. No one is even going to know the mosque it there for god's sake.
    It's a Sufi congrigation and quite small at that...

As a matter of fact he was the only person in the whole area to help us out when we had some grief with our building. He's also the guy who stuck it to a certain well know landlord when he tried to evict a load of tennants in the area on very short notice.

I may be wrong but I actually think the guy's Irish too, at least I think he grew up here.

correction: (from todays Irish Times)
    "The chants spill forth from the Madina supermarket, where Adnan Hameed stacks generously laden shelves (dried fish from Malaysia, Turkish lime leaves, endless sacks of flour and rice). From the outside, the supermarket looks small and tight, but once inside the long, cavernous interior draws you further and deeper: past a halal butcher, a fully-stocked deli and on, through a metal door, to the stairs that leads to the Anwar-e- Madina mosque.

Here, somehow, there's room for 400 worshippers. Adnan calls himself Pakistani, though it's almost 35 years since his grandfather first came to this provincial-feeling city and started selling clothes door to door in a small town that is now part of its sprawling outskirts. Today the supermarket is one of three businesses the family owns in the area. "

Some of the posters here should do a bit of research before mouthing off their usual sh1te...

And the local business down there?? Queing outside to get in? WTF? It's not a bleeding cinema like...

gobsh1tes...

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

What's all this parochial rubbish about pandering to Muslims? It's a not like they were given the building for free. They either rent it or they bought it. Anyhow, a couple of years on and it's probably been a positive for trade. Would be nice to see a few muslim restaurants popping up. One of my favourite restaurants is on Talbot St - the Talbot 101. Also, there is a decent tourist pub with Irish music across the road from the mosque - perhaps some of the Muslim revellers can knock in for a few scoops after prayer-time on Friday nights! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

Was there seriously any reason to bump this thread after almost 2years:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I like resurrecting old threads. It's interesting to see if people maintain the same screwball opinions a couple of years later

Advertisement