Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options
  • 23-07-2008 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

I was going to Newry on Sunday with a few friends from France and they asked about changing over money and needing passports to go over the border. I laughed and said no need and they really couldn't understand why.

I always thought of Northern Ireland to be Ireland, simple as that but they argued that different currency ect.

What do you think? In your view are they Irish, British or Northern Irish??

What nationality do you give people from Northern Ireland? 209 votes

Irish
    0% 0 votes
    British
    36% 77 votes
    Northern Irish
    18% 39 votes
    I don't care
    44% 93 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Lousebags,thats what i consider them to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Eigeen

I always think of them as an entity onto themselves - i.e. Northerners. I would consider it a different country - and would have a much more negative view of it compare to U.K. Countries. Generally find Northerners to have a giant chip on their shoulders about everything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

Irish and becoming more connected with the rest of us since the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Love2love wrote: »
    Northern Ireland

Its the "North Of Ireland" or the 6 counties, I don't recognise British Rule :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Norn' Irish or Northies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭el_tiddlero

i consider them my oldest and dearest friends..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Bendihorse

Effin Nordies - Booo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

If you're asking me that question in a very general manner then I say "yes, I do" but if I'm talking to / dealing with an actual person I generally ask. It's often tied to religion but not even always.

My dad and his family are Northern Irish Catholics and they all consider themselves to be Irish. Of course a lot of them do live on the Republic side of the border now. In Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭bottletops

They are the unfriendly Irish! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tobiesheba

I think people from the six counties have the right to call themselves Irish or British - whichever, it doesn't bother me. But what does annoy me is when some people swear to be Irish but yet travel on a British passport. In my view if you see yourself as Irish you should have an Irish passport and vice versa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,950 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I consider them northies but for me I also throw Cavan Monaghon into that bracket

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭dee8839

That's a good question. When it comes to famous people is when I notice my instinctive opinion on this. Like Liam Neeson - I never count him as Irish because he's from the North. But I don't count him as British either! So I'll have to go with Northern Irish as a seperate group altogether.

But they should be Irish not British if the world was how it should be!:(
    Except Ian Paisley. They can have him.:rolleyes:

*runs away fearing any form of debate on the issue*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

northern irish, although i have feeling it suppose to be irish ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Well officially they should have had passports with them to go to Northern Ireland with them being French.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

The last time I was on the Belfast/Dublin bus the cops came on checking passports and took people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

robinph wrote: »
    Well officially they should have had passports with them to go to Northern Ireland with them being French.

As France is an EU state, they do not require a passport. A national identity card will suffice.

But there is nobody at the border to check this anyway. Actually where exactly is the border? One minute you are on the M1 and the next you are in Newry, I actually didnt see a border.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

once went out with a girl from Belfast

called her "Irish" and she said I am "British"
    As a proof she showed me her passport :mad:

it was in 2005
    I guess things have changed since then

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As France is an EU state, they do not require a passport. A national identity card will suffice.

ID card would be fine for them to travel between France and Germay, but not France and UK/ Ireland or across the UK-Ireland border either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Love2love

robinph wrote: »
    ID card would be fine for them to travel between France and Germay, but not France and UK/ Ireland or across the UK-Ireland border either.

My boyfriend is French and uses his ID card to come here as he doesnt have a passport. He was also accepted flying to Spain, Italy and Germay from here and visa versa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

once went out with a girl from Belfast

called her "Irish" and she said I am "British"
    As a proof she showed me her passport :mad:

it was in 2005
    I guess things have changed since then

Going out with her once was enough. She was/is not British. Even her passport makes the distinction

"United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is embossed on the cover. So, even the British say she is Irish.

OP, geographically they are Irish, politically they are Northern Irish (part of the UK but not GB), so I'd say yes, even if their name is Paisley, they are Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

This got me into trouble with a friend of mine from Newry on Paddy's Day (and every other day after it when i mentioned it,haha) I consider her a part of Britain and not really Irish for two reasons

1. Her passport says British Citizen
    2. She doesn't speak Irish

I'm not saying it in a bad way, merely identifying where she's from, she disputes it and says that she's 100% Irish, yet knows nothing about the Republic.

I always say its like when India was a British colony, there were plenty of British born there, their passports would say British and they wouldn't speak Indian, you didn't see them telling people they were Indian.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 oriain

I consider them Northern Irish. It is a seperate country despite many peoples aspirations on the issue. (crunch, crunch go the egg shells) Plus, as was said above, it's the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland so not really British either.

Northies! Only good thing about that place is Ikea!

My boyfriend is French and uses his ID card to come here as he doesnt have a passport. He was also accepted flying to Spain, Italy and Germay from here and visa versa

I thought the various national ID cards were only recognised for internal Schengen travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Hrududu wrote: »
    The last time I was on the Belfast/Dublin bus the cops came on checking passports and took people off.

Was the last time that you were on the Dublin to Belfast bus 1986 by any chance? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭dreamr

their passports say British. end of.

but personsally i'd call them Northeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

tobiesheba wrote: »
    I think people from the six counties have the right to call themselves Irish or British - whichever, it doesn't bother me. But what does annoy me is when some people swear to be Irish but yet travel on a British passport. In my view if you see yourself as Irish you should have an Irish passport and vice versa.

i'm Irish but i would travel on a British passport if i had the opportunity. much better support in terms of embassies if you ever find yourself in a pickle. half the time us Irish have to make do with gong to a Swedish embassy.

i'm Irish but i would travel on a British passport if i had the opportunity. much better support in terms of embassies if you ever find yourself in a pickle. half the time us Irish have to make do with gong to a Swedish embassy.

You can use a British one wherever an Irish one is not available, or any other EU embassy actually but seeing as they all tend to speak foreign probably not as usefull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Magpie!

Geographically - Ireland

As a political entity/juristiction - Northern Ireland

As a people - if they consider themselves Irish I consider them Irish. If they don't I consider them scum*

Simple really.

*Not really. But I'd view them with a certain suspicion I must admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If they consider themselves Irish, so do I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Spadina wrote: »
    This got me into trouble with a friend of mine from Newry on Paddy's Day (and every other day after it when i mentioned it,haha) I consider her a part of Britain and not really Irish for two reasons

1. Her passport says British Citizen
    2. She doesn't speak Irish

I'm not saying it in a bad way, merely identifying where she's from, she disputes it and says that she's 100% Irish, yet knows nothing about the Republic.

I always say its like when India was a British colony, there were plenty of British born there, their passports would say British and they wouldn't speak Indian, you didn't see them telling people they were Indian.

Wow you've a really big chip on your shoulder. Why does it matter if you speak Irish or not? Do many Irish actually speak Irish?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement