Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

the Irish people of the north of Ireland are as much irish as the ones south of the border

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

Thank you. People from the north of Ireland have the choice, which is what's most important.

+1 Thats what its all about, giving the choice to the individual. If they wish to be considered British, we must alknowledge this as their prerogative while if they wish to be Irish we should welcome them as one of our own. The Good Friday agreement was based on the principle of dual nationality for the people of Northern Ireland, while also removing any territorial claim Ireland had to the 6 counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

I would consider them Irish, but it's all about what they consider themselves to be. I consider lots of people to be things that they may not think they are themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭shoelaceface

yeah yeah.... oh yeah!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

once went out with a girl from Belfast

called her "Irish" and she said I am "British"
    As a proof she showed me her passport :mad:

it was in 2005
    I guess things have changed since then

Are they British though

They are members of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
    (seems that even the Brits don't really want them ;))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

People from Northern Ireland are from Northern Ireland and can classify themselves as British if they want to, I do not classify them as Irish though. Most are two faced and are all "oh we want be with youz in the South" However if it was a referendum most would not vote in favour of it. Sinn Fein and the 'ra heads have given Ireland a bad image and I could I would take a chainsaw and cut it off and dump the north into the Atlantic and let them sink or swim. Sending our taxes north for is disgusting. I have far more respect for your Northern Unionist than I have for your marxist Sinn Fein drug dealer or Diesel smuggler.

The Unionists don't bother us in the South and we should leave them in peace and encourage peace. Northern Irish they are Irish means from the Republic as far as I am concerned. Their accent and thuggish scumbag attitude is enough to deny them Citizenship as far as I am concerned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

juvenal wrote: »
    IFred, you're usually very reasoned, but this is pushing the bounds a little bit! The reporter was obviously just a bit of a gobshíte ;)
    oh yeah, wouldn't argue with that, but when someone from this side of the atlantice is interviewing someone from over there, its not that clear cut, in my opinion. what if, for example, it was Terry Wogan, would he have been wrong to say one of us? would he have been wrong to say one of us if he was talking about a Brit? grey area in my opinion.
    juvenal wrote: »
    Venom, Fratton Fred and others don't (please correct me if I'm wrong), and some other members do - don't take is so personally, look at the OP's question. This is an thread about people's opinions, so facts like what currency people use or what laws they abide by doesn't come into it.

I can't remember how i voted, but I'm pretty sure i wouldn't say they weren't irish. my opinion is they are whatever they want to be. i worked for a number of years with a Belfast girl (and, ftr, she was handsome and she was pretty. she could also drink me under the table:)) she was irish and always told people she was irish.

However, I was up the North last weekend, we went up to the Giants causeway, Bushmills, Portrush etc and judging by the number of Union flags (As well as Ulster (unionist?) flags and Scotland flags), I would say there are a lot of people up there that quite like being British.

I'll tell you what though, one conclusion I have come to, is that people from Northern Ireland are scary:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

mumhaabu wrote: »
    People from Northern Ireland are from Northern Ireland and can classify themselves as British if they want to, I do not classify them as Irish though. Most are two faced and are all "oh we want be with youz in the South" However if it was a referendum most would not vote in favour of it. Sinn Fein and the 'ra heads have given Ireland a bad image and I could I would take a chainsaw and cut it off and dump the north into the Atlantic and let them sink or swim. Sending our taxes north for is disgusting. I have far more respect for your Northern Unionist than I have for your marxist Sinn Fein drug dealer or Diesel smuggler.

The Unionists don't bother us in the South and we should leave them in peace and encourage peace. Northern Irish they are Irish means from the Republic as far as I am concerned. Their accent and thuggish scumbag attitude is enough to deny them Citizenship as far as I am concerned.

i second that motion and i third it as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Stereotype much?

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭metalgear2k2

To answer the OP's question, No I don't.

• Advertisement

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Stereotype much?

how is what i said a stereotype?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I don;t even consider them people. :pac:

Nah, on a more serious note, I would consider people from an Irish background Irish, and those from a Unionist/Ulster Scots background English.

But really, it's their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Don’t know what I’d call them but I don’t consider them to be the same as us. I notice this when the likes of car accidents are reported. I find myself listening sympathetically to the details (don’t know why, its most unlikely I will know anything about the victims) but if and when I am told that they are from the North then I think “oh well, its not one of ours” and lose interest.

yeah well i think its a disgrace ! the ignorance of mumhaabu post is a joke hes clearly under educated and how anyone one could agree with what he said is beyond me

yeah well i think its a disgrace ! the ignorance of mumhaabu post is a joke hes clearly under educated and how anyone one could agree with what he said is beyond me

Obviously some with the username republican sinn fein Cill dara is going to be completely unbiased in this, so tell us then, people in Ulster, from say Londonderry who consider themselves Scottish, or British, what about them, are they actually Irish, just living under the false pretence of being British?

its the guys opinion which hes intitled to have. some people in the republic (and elsewhere) are sick of hearing about the north and havin the whole reunification thing shoved down our throats by sinners and ira heads. some people seem to think you have to see northern irish as irish and to believe we need a 32 county republic to be truly irish or else your called a "west brit2 or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Well, if someone told me they were Irish or they have an Irish wife / husband whatever i'd assume they are talking about the Republic.

Two completely different countries imo. Just to add, i wouldn't consider NI British or English either...

Obviously some with the username republican sinn fein Cill dara is going to be completely unbiased in this, so tell us then, people in Ulster, from say Londonderry who consider themselves Scottish, or British, what about them, are they actually Irish, just living under the false pretence of being British?

im in no way biased . first of all Ulster is Irish all 9 counties. londonderry ? wheres that? if someone considers themselves british well then fair enough , but we have to repect the right of the irish people in the North of Ireland to call themselves irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Why do you always insist on feeding the trolls?

Why do you always insist on feeding the trolls?

I can't help myself :o

I am good at it though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

how is what i said a stereotype?

You are as guilty of stereotype and mumhaabu who you "seconded and thirded".

He said, "Their accent and thuggish scumbag attitude is enough to deny them Citizenship as far as I am concerned."

By saying "their" I can only assume they are referring to the people of Northern Ireland as a whole, which would surely satisfy the definition of a stereotype. You aligned yourself with this stereotype, hence my comment.

As someone from Northern Ireland I can say that it has more than its fair share of tw@ts from all shades of public opinion. The problem is that you only hear those that shout the loudest and have the most extreme views. I, for one, consider myself Irish. I certainly feel no affinity towards Britishness but neither do I feel any disdain towards it. I don't like to see flags marking out territory in Northern Ireland as they so often do, and there are many occasions after watching the Northern Ireland evening news, I wish that I lived somewhere in the Republic of Ireland.

I think the only legitimate claim for people in Northern Ireland is to say that they are either Irish or Northern Irish. They can align themselves to British identity but that does not make them British - such people will hold a passport stating they enjoy citizenship of the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. If Northern Ireland was considered part of Britain then why the need to express it separately on the passports. If I go around all day wearing a bushman's hat and drinking Castlemaine XXXX that will not make me Australian. Same thing.

if someone considers themselves british well then fair enough , but we have to repect the right of the irish people in the North of Ireland to call themselves irish!

nail hit well and truely hit on the head I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Some of the idiots who post on here should try living in Northern Ireland for a while before they decide if these people are Irish or not.

I studied and work in Northern Ireland and the people generally fall into one of 3 catagories.
    -Irish
    -British
    -Northern Irish (this is usually reserved for Unionists who are quite proud of some of the Irishness in Northern Ireland.)

When you live and especially at work you have to learn to accept that not everyone will be of the same religious persuasion.

One thing i have noticed is that a lot of people from Reublic of Ireland have a very limited knowledge of what goes on up here.

Jigsaw wrote: »
    You are as guilty of stereotype and mumhaabu who you "seconded and thirded".

He said, "Their accent and thuggish scumbag attitude is enough to deny them Citizenship as far as I am concerned."

By saying "their" I can only assume they are referring to the people of Northern Ireland as a whole, which would surely satisfy the definition of a stereotype. You aligned yourself with this stereotype, hence my comment.

As someone from Northern Ireland I can say that it has more than its fair share of tw@ts from all shades of public opinion. The problem is that you only hear those that shout the loudest and have the most extreme views. I, for one, consider myself Irish. I certainly feel no affinity towards Britishness but neither do I feel any disdain towards it. I don't like to see flags marking out territory in Northern Ireland as they so often do, and there are many occasions after watching the Northern Ireland evening news, I wish that I lived somewhere in the Republic of Ireland.

I think the only legitimate claim for people in Northern Ireland is to say that they are either Irish or Northern Irish. They can align themselves to British identity but that does not make them British - such people will hold a passport stating they enjoy citizenship of the United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland. If Northern Ireland was considered part of Britain then why the need to express it separately on the passports. If I go around all day wearing a bushman's hat and drinking Castlemaine XXXX that will not make me Australian. Same thing.

the reason i agree with him is i like many other people are tired of hearing about northern ireland . i see northern ireland as a foreign country and its citizens as foreigners. people in the republic who think like this are scorned. the british and irish thing in the north is what is damaging it. people in the north should be cultivating a northern irish identity which all citizens of the north can ascribe to.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends. Most of the protestants think they're British, most Catholics think they're Irish. And some Catholics who think they're Irish hate the Irish from the Republic more than the protestants from the North.

I call them all Northern Irish. Like it or lump it, that's where they're based.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The ignorance of so many people here is astounding. There is a difference between Britain and Great Britain. There is a difference between Ireland and Republic of Ireland.

Well some of us down here don’t really want to know all that much about NI anymore than we want to know about what goes on in Scotland or anywhere else. And what thrilled little bunnies some of us would be if some of your politicians up there who have no electoral mandate in the Republic didn’t come down here poking their snouts into our business.

Oh, and I don’t think you added all that much to the sum of the knowledge most of us do have. We kinda had a inkling that some folk up there identified with being British and some with Irish and given that their soccer team draws support (or used to) largely from those with British allegiances then I might have hazarded a guess that some would identify themselves as being Northern Irish.

(A reply to ibh)

the_syco wrote: »
    And some Catholics who think they're Irish hate the Irish from the Republic more than the protestants from the North.
    Well hopefully that will serve to impede any moves towards the lunacy that a united Ireland would be.

lugha wrote: »
    Well some of us down here don’t really want to know all that much about NI anymore than we want to know about what goes on in Scotland or anywhere else. And what thrilled little bunnies some of us would be if some of your politicians up there who have no electoral mandate in the Republic didn’t come down here poking their snouts into our business.

Oh, and I don’t think you added all that much to the sum of the knowledge most of us do have. We kinda had a inkling that some folk up there identified with being British and some with Irish and given that their soccer team draws support (or used to) largely from those with British allegiances then I might have hazarded a guess that some would identify themselves as being Northern Irish.

(A reply to ibh)

Good point and youve also helped back up my point. i find a lot of people i speak to in the republic these days feel the same way about the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭dumbyearbook

This thread is like a broken record at this stage........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement