Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    We should take back the north, if the prodestants dont want to be ruled by the Irish then they can go back where they came from (Scotland and England).

How do you plan to take back the North?

speaking on behalf of the English and possibly most of the Scottish, can I just point out that we don't want them thank you very much.

Incidentally, how would you send them back, how would you identify them? would you round up all "Prodestants" (Whatever they are) and maybe tattoo a cross on their arm, maybe a number too?

Then you would be looking at forceibly evicting EU citizens, not sure the EU would like that. Then there is the small question of the GFA and reneging on a treaty that the majority of the island voted for.

But yeah, apart from that, great idea. All Ireland needs now is to mobilise its troops and get going, oh yeah, they are all in Chad.

How do you plan to take back the North?

speaking on behalf of the English and possibly most of the Scottish, can I just point out that we don't want them thank you very much.

Incidentally, how would you send them back, how would you identify them? would you round up all "Prodestants" (Whatever they are) and maybe tattoo a cross on their arm, maybe a number too?

Then you would be looking at forceibly evicting EU citizens, not sure the EU would like that. Then there is the small question of the GFA and reneging on a treaty that the majority of the island voted for.

But yeah, apart from that, great idea. All Ireland needs now is to mobilise its troops and get going, oh yeah, they are all in Chad.

He could always arrange a "swapshop" with the citizens on Kilburn, Luton and about 100 other English & Scottish towns that have a large Irish population. :pac:

And while he's arranging that, he can repatriate all the Ameicans that are not native to North america. I could go on an on and on and on Ariston!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

No, not really.

He could always arrange a "swapshop" with the citizens on Kilburn, Luton and about 100 other English & Scottish towns that have a large Irish population. :pac:

And while he's arranging that, he can repatriate all the Ameicans that are not native to North america. I could go on an on and on and on Ariston!

I reckon about 35,000,000 million Americans are coming this way. It's gonna get crowded:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

They seem like far distant creatures here in Cork. Yetis, maybe. :-p

But seriously, I'd call any one I met whatever the hell that person wanted to be called - Irish, British, Brirish, whatever.

• Advertisement

simu wrote: »

But seriously, I'd call any one I met whatever the hell that person wanted to be called - Irish, British, Brirish, whatever.

The best answer all round! :)

simu wrote: »

Funny you should say that, because from here in Dublin............:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Jaysus, even when you are beside her...

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Just look what happened to Germany after reunification, it ruined their economy for years and led to plenty of resentment on both sides. I've no interest in subsidising a bunch of foreigners north of the border.

If only the EU had taken the same attitude to the Republic. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

m@cc@ wrote: »
    If only the EU had taken the same attitude to the Republic. :rolleyes:

yes i guess sometimes we in ireland forgot to bow down and worship our overlords on the continent to which we owe everything that we have.:p

ill get started on building the 60 foot tall golden statue of De Gaulle.:D

• Advertisement

yes i guess sometimes we in ireland forgot to bow down and worship our overlords on the continent to which we owe everything that we have.:p

ill get started on building the 60 foot tall golden statue of De Gaulle.:D

Your comment (as flippant as it is) is neither here nor there. De Gaulle opposed the UK (and therefore Ireland) entering the EC.

Your comment (as flippant as it is) is neither here nor there. De Gaulle opposed the UK (and therefore Ireland) entering the EC.

wow guess the concept of sarcasm or having a laugh is lost on some people. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

I reckon about 35,000,000 million Americans are coming this way. It's gonna get crowded:D

What will they do with all those Americans who are a quarter Cherokee, one-eighth Irish, one-sixteenth Polish, a quarter African.... will they cut them up and send the pieces to each place?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭eugenedoc1

Ireland was one entity until britain told us what size of a country we were allowed to have. My grandfather fought in the civil war with comrades from all throughout the 32 counties.Britain fostered and nurtured partition/division down through the years. Isnt it time we all got our heads together and thought of a new ireland?

eugenedoc1 wrote: »
    Ireland was one entity until britain told us what size of a country we were allowed to have. My grandfather fought in the civil war with comrades from all throughout the 32 counties.Britain fostered and nurtured partition/division down through the years. Isnt it time we all got our heads together and thought of a new ireland?

you're right.

I'm sure the british government would welcome a united Ireland. We would need to change all the green post boxes back to red, ditch the euro and get rid of the funny writing on the road signs, but it should be quite easy to do.

luckat wrote: »
    What will they do with all those Americans who are a quarter Cherokee, one-eighth Irish, one-sixteenth Polish, a quarter African.... will they cut them up and send the pieces to each place?

Nah! A certain burger chain will just use the bits for a new "ethenic" Range.

wow guess the concept of sarcasm or having a laugh is lost on some people. :confused:

Not really. The sarcasm bit was understood, it just made no sense.

Not really. The sarcasm bit was understood, it just made no sense.

you were implying that ireland needed the subsidies from the EU. i was poking fun at the fact that people in europe think we are ungrateful when we step out of line i.e like when the treaty was rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭el_bandita

I spoke with the guy who's from Northern Ireland today. When asked if he feels more Irish or British he said British...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I spoke with a guy who's from Northern Ireland last week. When asked if he feels more Irish or British he said Irish...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Conbro

i'm from dublin and i live in belfast now , i work in a mixed company of people from both sides i love winding them up calling them irish they go nuts, they tell me they are british so i say what international team do they support and they say northern ireland , and i say who runs them IFA, irish football ac....
    i love it....

How can they be British? Part of the UK yes, but theyre not British.

Conbro wrote: »
    How can they be British? Part of the UK yes, but theyre not British.

The original question asks "Do you consider people from northern Ireland Irish"

NOT "Are they Irish", that is a question for each and every one of them to answer for themselves.

el_bandita wrote: »
    I spoke with the guy who's from Northern Ireland today. When asked if he feels more Irish or British he said British...
    I spoke with a guy who's from Northern Ireland last week. When asked if he feels more Irish or British he said Irish...

I spoke to a guy from Northern Ireland last week.

I couldn't understand a word he said :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Do I consider people from NI Irish? Of course. It's the island of Ireland and the way I look at it, if you are born here then you are Irish. I mean that in a geographical sense. If people want to repudiate their Irishness on political grounds that's their business.

I don't like it when people from south of the border start dictating who qualifies as Irish and who doesn't. It's not for the Republic of Ireland or its citizens to determine that as we do not have ownership over the Irish nationality just because we are from the part of the island which is independent.

I don't like it when people from south of the border start dictating who qualifies as Irish and who doesn't. It's not for the Republic of Ireland or its citizens to determine that as we do not have ownership over the Irish nationality just because we are from the part of the island which is independent.

Strictly speaking, the Nordies are independant from the republic as well, good or bad depending on your viewpoint. ;)

Do I consider people from NI Irish? Of course. It's the island of Ireland and the way I look at it, if you are born here then you are Irish. I mean that in a geographical sense. If people want to repudiate their Irishness on political grounds that's their business.

Spot on. It odd how some people from the Republic consider us British, I mean, were people born on the island of Ireland before 1921 also considered British. Just because the south is independent, doesn't mean that people in the North should just accept it, as easy as it might make life easier for Dublin and London.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *Kel*

I spoke to a guy from Northern Ireland last week.

I couldn't understand a word he said :D

:D:D:D

Speaking as someone who was born in England, with four Irish Grandparents, one of which who constantly banged on about ‘not forgetting my roots’. I’ve always thought of them as Northern Irish.

However, since my Paternal grandparents were from Wrexham & my Maternal from Dublin, I guess they were about as qualified as me to judge.

All I know is that me Granddad always resented Brits telling his family what they were, so I accept it is up to the people in question to define themselves.

Let people be; what they wanna be. Is what I say!

PS. Hope this make some kind of sense, since I’ve been on the ‘Russian’ Vodka for a few hours.

*Kel* wrote: »
    :D:D:D

Let people be; what they wanna be. Is what I say!

PS. Hope this make some kind of sense, since I’ve been on the ‘Russian’ Vodka for a few hours.

I lot more sense than many posters here. ;)
    Welcome to boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *Kel*

Welcome to boards.

Thank you, nice to be here:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 DerKomissar

would a hairless ape born in Ireland be Irish, or simply an ape?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement