Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

We would need to change all the green post boxes back to red

Post box politics...

The young Shinners are already at it, in reverse. Red to Green....

Good to know painting a few post-boxes is top of the 'class struggle' agenda in the North these days :rolleyes: Connollys remarks about only changing flags and postboxes obviously went over their heads.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

forgive me if i am wrong but wasent it the english who created ireland by bringing four kingdoms into one? ---- {true but its just a talking point}

PrivateEye wrote: »
    Post box politics...

The young Shinners are already at it, in reverse. Red to Green....

Good to know painting a few post-boxes is top of the 'class struggle' agenda in the North these days :rolleyes: Connollys remarks about only changing flags and postboxes obviously went over their heads.....

I don't give a (castlemaine) XXXX what colour they are as long as the post is delivered!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

hi dolan baker now yer talking/it just happens you have the same surname as me /you dont have any english relatives by any chance ?

getz wrote: »
    hi dolan baker now yer talking/it just happens you have the same surname as me /you dont have any english relatives by any chance ?

Sea! Is "plastic Paddy" mé. like many others here. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭RSF Cill Dara

i made a mistake about the garda mcCabe case :o

as for your point above you are trying to defend a group who are trying to carry on a war that most people on this island dont want. too many lives were destroyed or taken away during the troubles. if you really loved your country you wouldnt advocate tha actions of a terrorist group but rather support the political process that has borne more fruit than the method of violence.

for the first time in decades there is peace on this island. surely any decent person in ireland wouldnt want to see a return to the violence of the past?

no bother a chara we all make mistakes

yes your right but republican that persue armed struggle have alway been in a minority eg 1916 ,1919, 1921 and 69 . i dont support a terrorist group :confused: if your telling me to support british sinn fein i would take it as an insult, i believe they sold out the irish people .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

i dont support a terrorist group if your telling me to support british sinn fein i would take it as an insult, i believe they sold out the irish people .

What are you talking about? They had little choice but to sign the agreement, the will of the people was against another 30 years of terrorism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

no bother a chara we all make mistakes

yes your right but republican that persue armed struggle have alway been in a minority eg 1916 ,1919, 1921 and 69 . i dont support a terrorist group :confused: if your telling me to support british sinn fein i would take it as an insult, i believe they sold out the irish people .

i dont support sinn fein or "british sinn fein" as you call them, but they at least had the sense to make the right decision in accepting the power sharing deal.

as for selling out the irish people i disagree. most people north and south of the border and in britain as well wanted to see a peaceful resolution to the conflict which we now have.

m@cc@ wrote: »
    What are you talking about? They had little choice but to sign the agreement, the will of the people was against another 30 years of terrorism.

all sinn fein wanted was to win seats. terrorism but im not talking about the british army :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭CSC

wheres is your evidence of drug dealing with in the CIRA ? their have been attacks on the police in the last while . The british are worried !

garda mcCabe was killed in 1996 ? the RIRA were formed in 97

I assuming the "British are worried" line was said tongue in cheek. I am not knocking your political beliefs but I wouldn't think that the British government are worried about the CIRA/RIRA anti-GFA groupngs. The latest few attacks have been complete failures and there hasn't been one member of the police or army killed since the GFA was signed.

• Advertisement

CSC wrote: »
    I assuming the "British are worried" line was said tongue in cheek. I am not knocking your political beliefs but I wouldn't think that the British government are worried about the CIRA/RIRA anti-GFA groupngs. The latest few attacks have been complete failures and there hasn't been one member of the police or army killed since the GFA was signed.

The british are worried.there was talk of a new style unarmed RUC/PSNI in non combative clothing. well their back wearing flak jackets and still carrying guns . strand road barracks in now rocket proof. Yes the latest attacks have been poor. the anti GFA republican groups have only emerged from 4 years of a reorganisation period . success shouldnt be judged on body count so far

Mi5 also said their more worried about the anti GFA republicans rather than the Muslim Threat(their words not mine)

They are that "worried" that the British Army have pulled out of the North. Seriously mate, these actions are not going to lead to a British withdrawl. The PIRA realised this many years ago and decided to move their struggle on to a political phase.

They are that "worried" that the British Army have pulled out of the North. Seriously mate, these actions are not going to lead to a British withdrawl. The PIRA realised this many years ago and decided to move their struggle on to a political phase.

there are still 5000 of them left,there is already talk of bringing them back and bringing the shoot to kill policy back with them. the provos didnt fail as an organisation,it was failed by its leadership.it had ample weaponary. the decline in operations was due to it leadership. Winning elections became more important than winning the war.

When exactly was there talk of bringing them back on the streets and by whom? The debate about returning to Shoot to Kill was started by a Unionist politician.
    The IRA campaign was one of the most effective of any guerilla group in the world and how far did it get them - to the negotiating table. If the CIRA campaign does take it to the level of the Provos (which I very much doubt as in over 20 years of existence the only thing of note they have done is blow up a hotel in Enniskillen; hardly Canary Wharf is it), what will it achieve? It certainly wont achieve a British withdrawl or a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

What?! Priests? Don't tell me I'm still on this feckin island!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 *Kel*

ziggy wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

OOPS! Just noticed this... I meant Wexford:o

(Sorry can see how I confused you, :) I had been talking to someone earlier that evening about them living in Connah’s Quay and the subject of Wrexham came up).

I did mention I'd been on the Vodka :D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

If they're moaners like 99% of people north of the border then I wouldn't consider them Irish.

Red Alert wrote: »
    If they're moaners like 99% of people north of the border then I wouldn't consider them Irish.
    what do u mean moaners?

• Advertisement

When exactly was there talk of bringing them back on the streets and by whom? The debate about returning to Shoot to Kill was started by a Unionist politician.
    The IRA campaign was one of the most effective of any guerilla group in the world and how far did it get them - to the negotiating table. If the CIRA campaign does take it to the level of the Provos (which I very much doubt as in over 20 years of existence the only thing of note they have done is blow up a hotel in Enniskillen; hardly Canary Wharf is it), what will it achieve? It certainly wont achieve a British withdrawl or a United Ireland.
    by the same unionist politician,he said `if these attacks continue will need support from the main land' . they had the weapons and men to continue the war but were sold out by Adams and co.

by the same unionist politician,he said `if these attacks continue will need support from the main land' . they had the weapons and men to continue the war but were sold out by Adams and co.

Exactly, so it didn't come from the British government that they were going to put the troops back on the streets.
    They may have been able to continue the war but not to win it. The leadership sold no one out.

Exactly, so it didn't come from the British government that they were going to put the troops back on the streets.
    They may have been able to continue the war but not to win it. The leadership sold no one out.
    will have to agree to disagree

Yeah, fair play mate. I'm not using this thread to knock you as I do have respect for RSF.
    All the best.

Yeah, fair play mate. I'm not using this thread to knock you as I do have respect for RSF.
    All the best.
    thanks mate
    i used to be in sinn fein ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

BTW, there's no need for anyone to have ID going between the UK and Ireland. Sure haven't we a long-standing blind-eye agreement which pre-dates Schengen and effectively precludes us from acceding to the latter?

If you're not British or Irish, there's every need to carry a passport / EEA National ID card, if travelling between the UK and Ireland.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement