Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Spadina wrote: »
    This got me into trouble with a friend of mine from Newry on Paddy's Day (and every other day after it when i mentioned it,haha) I consider her a part of Britain and not really Irish for two reasons

1. Her passport says British Citizen
    2. She doesn't speak Irish

I'm not saying it in a bad way, merely identifying where she's from, she disputes it and says that she's 100% Irish, yet knows nothing about the Republic.

I always say its like when India was a British colony, there were plenty of British born there, their passports would say British and they wouldn't speak Indian, you didn't see them telling people they were Indian.

Did you do history in school? :D

In the north, most people have the option of obtaining an Irish or a British passport as a legal right.
    If the person holds an Irish passport, they are Irish.
    If the person holds a British passport, they consider themselves British politically(for the pedantics) as part of th UK and not Irish.
    I don't speak Irish and like umpteenth thousands of others we were taught it wrong in school. It doesn't make us any less Irish, we are victims of a crappy education system regarding the Irish language.

Slán :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't assume one or the other.

Mike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't assume one or the other.

Mike.

Of course not - your english:p

GET HIM!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

i think it depends in which region you are in, no? I though us and Sweden have some reciprocal agreement for embassies in Asia (where i was in when i was told the Swedis embassy).

or maybe whatever I read was out of date...

I think there has always been the agreement between UK and Irish embassies, but with us all now being a happy European family it's extended to across all EU embassies. There are probably preferred options though with Cypriots going to a Greek embassy before they will use another EU one when their own is not available, I cannot see them using a Turkish one if they are ever allowed to join, and I'd expect UK/ Ireland to be a similar type thing. Cannot see why there would be a deal with Sweden ahead of with the UK though for Asia, but they wouldn't turn you away if that was your only option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

dreamr wrote: »
    their passports say British. end of.

but personsally i'd call them Northeners.

How do you know what their passports say?

They could have a Uk passport or an Irish passport.

But no British passport. No such thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

i suppose they're northern Irish. they're definitely not british. It's the "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland". They're not part of Britain. Britain = England, Scotland and Wales. I'd consider them to be Irish or Northern Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

I consider them british, coz they live in britain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

robinph wrote: »
    I thought the various national ID cards were only recognised for internal Schengen travel.
    Nope, I fly between and Ireland and France a few times a year and most of the French have their ID cards rather than passports. Wouldn't be a bad idea to introduce an Irish ID card, imho.

Back on topic, whatever the person from Northern Ireland feels, then it doesn't really matter after that, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭mental07

darkman2 wrote: »
    Of course not - your english:p
    Hmm, "your English" leaves a little bit to be desired, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

What part of Ireland do you not understand

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

What part of Ireland do you not understand

The north.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have yet to see any definition that considers Northern Ireland to be part of Britain. Maybe you can elaborate? I live in Britain and I am Irish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

They can be whatever they want to be

That's why articles 2&3 were removed

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Love2love wrote: »
    Actually where exactly is the border? One minute you are on the M1 and the next you are in Newry, I actually didnt see a border.

When you passed the old-style End Of Speed Limit slash sign, thats the border. Frontier signs are discouraged in the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

Northern Irish......should be cut and pushed into the North Atlantic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

supertramp wrote: »
    Northern Irish......should be cut and pushed into the North Atlantic

Any particular reason?

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

But the thing is, they don't live in Britain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Irish.

Such as Darron Gibson.

Shove that up your arse IFA :) (lets hope we didnt use our last roll of the nordie selection dice on a player who turns out to be awful mind :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Irish. My mother was from Belfast.

For me Ireland has 32 counties. It really makes me laugh when I have to convert money to travel 2 hrs up the road and I can use my own currency in Europe. That's fucked up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

just asked a buddy of mine (catholic from tyrone) and he said that catholic people from the north would consider themselves irish, and protestants british!!

as for the question from the OP (do i consider them.....) i dont consider them anything.....i believe they have the right to consider themselves in any way that they please, and that has nothing to do with me!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭mollydolly271

ah there are living on the island of ireland and if they want to be british they should GO BACK AND LIVE IN BRITAN

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

ah there are living on the island of ireland and if they want to be british they should GO BACK AND LIVE IN BRITAN

Go back? I'd say most of them were born on this island.

-Funk

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kraggy wrote: »
    How do you know what their passports say?

They could have a Uk passport or an Irish passport.

But no British passport. No such thing.

no such thing as a UK passport either, its the united kingdom of great britian and northern ireland
    Was the last time that you were on the Dublin to Belfast bus 1986 by any chance? ;)

seen the guards asking for ID on the bus either between enniskilian and donegal or sligo in the last few years

not sure what their creteria was on who was picked out, but atleast a few people on board was, as for the nationality arguement, most of my family who are born in the 6 counties consider themselves irish

my self, not to bothered, we're all from the island of ireland

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Irish. My mother was from Belfast.

For me Ireland has 32 counties. It really makes me laugh when I have to convert money to travel 2 hrs up the road and I can use my own currency in Europe. That's fucked up.

counties were a british invention. If you were *really* irish you wouldn't acknowledge them at all.Aha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭Rossibaby

They are Irish..the republican side are as irish as me,even the unionists are irish.i mean if they go over to england they are all considered irish not 'british' by the people their,the only ones who call them brits are themselves.

I don't get all this 'the nordies are mad' ****e...the border could have been drawn many different ways and other counties could have been taken,at one stage they even considered giving south armagh back as it was such a republican stronghold.i fail to see how people born a few miles up the road from me are majorly different.

nationality is majorly irrelevent at the end of the day imo,but to me they are all irish.if they are british they are awful good at GAA for brits??

i know many people across the border,british never comes into my head,always regarded them as irish

• Registered Users Posts: 7,155 ✭✭✭COH

You clearly have a career in diplomacy ahead of you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Irish

I consider it North of Ireland (as opposed to Northern Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,786 ✭✭✭✭L1011

irish-stew wrote: »
    seen the guards asking for ID on the bus either between enniskilian and donegal or sligo in the last few years

Have heard its done on the mid-Ulster crossings all the time also, and occasionally the Enterprise

They are, however, screwed as "I don't have any on me because I don't need any" is a perfectly valid excuse. If it wasn't for the fact I'm there in my car 99 times out of 100 I'd never have ID on me - the times I'm in NI as a passenger I never do. Under the Ireland Act I'm not a foreigner in the UK and due to the Common Travel Area I don't need ID for a land border crossing within the CTA. Guards can't do **** as I'm not required to carry ID down here either (obviously).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Blue 84

British. The few occasions I've been over the border I've never felt that I was still in Ireland, if you get me.

I was in Prague recently and met a group from Derry/Londonderry on a night out and the conversation went in the direction of national identity. My mate disengaged his brain from his mouth and came out with 'Sure look, we're all Irish and that's all there is to it.' Most were indifferent to this but there was one or two nasty looks fired his direction alright!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement