Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭juuge

Northern Ireland people always considered the southerners to be dominated by the Catholic Church and 'priest ridden' judging by the amount of paedophile priests we have here they weren't far wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I consider those that want NI to join with the rest of the Island , Irish, and those that want to stay in the UK British.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Some of the responses here sadden but do not shock me. A hell of a lot of generalisations are flying about. I for one am as so far from the generally assumed thing as you could get yet am tarred with the same brush. It upsets me that people would have some predisposed hatred of me when I have no hate within me whatsoever for others that come from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Jigsaw wrote: »
    Some of the responses here sadden but do not shock me. A hell of a lot of generalisations are flying about. I for one am as so far from the generally assumed thing as you could get yet am tarred with the same brush. It upsets me that people would have some predisposed hatred of me when I have no hate within me whatsoever for others that come from Ireland.

Can you elaborate further m8? I'm interested in your opinion. Also what do you consider yourself? & what do you think of my statement?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

my dad's from newry and he considers himself Irish,

saying that now, both him and me have dual citizenship

British or Irish, once it doesnt go back to the 80's they can call themselves what ever the **** they want

kinda sad really

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

ever so often there does be border checks, Very rare, they just ask you where your going, where you came from, and thats pretty much it. on the irish side its mainly to stop people bringing fireworks in.

was stopped on one of the back roads in forkhill about christmas time2 or 3 years ago by 2 british soliders,pretty much asked the same thing and told us to have a safe journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Some of the posts here are laughable.

Let's dispel a few myths. . .

- The north of Ireland has no greater incidents of racism or violence or thuggery or antisocial behaviour than what FIFA calls the Republic of Ireland or any other western European country for that matter.

- Saying that people from the north of Ireland are racist, violent, scumbags, or have 'a chip on their shoulder' are ridiculous generalisations, and akin to saying that Dubliners are junkies, Scottish people are tight, Poles are alcoholics or culchies are sheepshaggers etc. They are misleading stereotypes perpetuated by immature philistines who haven't a clue.

- Nationality is a freedom of choice that is guaranteed by Bunreacht na hÉireann (Constitution of Ireland), and also under the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights. As such, an individual is free to choose their nationality in the unique situation of Northern Ireland.

- It is not my right, nor the right of anyone else to decide someone’s nationality

- A person’s ability to speak a language does not dictate their nationality. Because most of us speak English does that make us English? Give me a break. It’s also ironic that a lot of people in Northern Ireland speak Irish with a greater command than many of their southern brethren. It’s called not taking your culture for granted.

- Irishness is a sense of personal identity. It has nothing to do with your geographical location. Someone from the Aran Islands is no more Irish than someone from Belfast, in the same way that someone from Armagh is no more Irish than someone from Waterford.

- Judging a place on a single visit, or even worse, having never been there, is one of the worst mindsets. The most laughable (if they weren’t so sad and narrowminded) posts are probably from people who have never set foot in Northern Ireland. I remember once a colleague from Cork mentioning in a conversation that she had never been “to the north” and would never go. When I enquired why, she said it was “too dangerous” and “she didn’t like it”. Laughed at. Unfortunately this type of attitude is probably something that is passed down from generation to generation. To these people I say, expand your horizons please. Dublin on a Saturday night is more dangerous.

- "They" are not a different race, and have no different "systems" than anyone else around the country. Look at any high street in Irish cities and you'll see the same shops, the same fashions, and the same music and films advertised. The various accents across the Ulster counties are as different as the accents across Munster, Connaght or Leinster.

- To those of you who consider that everyone from the north of Ireland is British, irrespective of their own personal choice, I suggest you write a nice letter, and address it to:

The resident
    Áras an Uachtaráin,
    Phoenix Park,
    Dublin 8

In it, you might ask the resident what nationality she considers herself. I find it hard to believe that a ‘British’ person, in your words, might be Uachtarán na hÉireann, your head of state.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

juvenal wrote: »

- Saying that people from the north of Ireland are racist, violent, scumbags, or have 'a chip on their shoulder' are ridiculous generalisations, and akin to saying that Dubliners are junkies, Scottish people are tight, Poles are alcoholics or culchies are sheepshaggers etc. They are misleading stereotypes perpetuated by immature philistines who haven't a clue.

No, not all of them are like that.

Just the ones who come down here for bank holidays/festivals/rallies. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

If their surname is Irish I consider them Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭ems_12

Basically if you know people from the North that think of themselves as Irish you think of all of them as Irish(which I do)

It's sort of ignorance to call "them" northern irish.

Probably coming from people that don't live near the border

It's not ignorance at all. I have a lot of friends (living in Belfast) who are "Northern Irish" by their own choice, some on British passports, some on Irish passports.

Juvenal, there are different systems, e.g. public transport& government bodies, schooling systems, currency, etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

ems_12 wrote: »
    Juvenal, there are different systems, e.g. public transport& government bodies, schooling systems, currency, etc....

There are different public transport systems in Dublin and Cork. Is one less Irish than the other. There is a different currency now, not in Irish currency, to what we grew up with. Are people born recently less Irish as they have never known the punt?

As I said before, 100 years ago, Dublin was definitely Irish and its inhabitants Irish. So was Belfast. Since then, it is the 26 counties that have undergone a change, not the 6. If you are looking to draw borders and claim division, how would you like to be placed on the other side?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Do i consider british subjects irish?

no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Frelance wrote: »
    I consider myself irish, was born in enniskillen.

I have both passports, it comes in handy as i look pretty young and i mainly use 1 for ID.
    Im pretty surprised by the responses on here. Not all of us have "chips on our shoulders." Id say we have the same proportion of arseholes as the south does. If the euro keeps going from strength to strength then id imagine alot more of you folks will be entering the North to take advantage of the cheaper prices. (2 months ago the store i work in made about 750,000 sterling a week, this week so far were on 1.2 million) If this keeps up then maybe the republics attitude towards us will change.

if youwork in ASDA, than you can thank my wife for the increase in trade. always spends a fortune there when she visits her sister who lives near the border.

Mind you, what costs her €200 there would cost €400 in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

People from the north are Irish

People from the south are Irish

People from north Korea are Korean

People from south Korea are Korean

see how this works

Rob_l wrote: »
    People from the north are Irish

People from the south are Irish

People from north Korea are Korean

People from south Korea are Korean

see how this works
    Yeah but both those countries are "owned" by Koreans and both those are countries.

Munya wrote: »
    Yeah but both those countries are "owned" by Koreans and both those are countries.

Northern ireland has its own government well as much as wales or scotland and they are both considered scottish and welsh respectively not british.

So what is the difference

Northern ireland has its own government well as much as wales or scotland and they are both considered scottish and welsh respectively not british.

So what is the difference

Their nationality is still British, "Scottish" people are in denial.

Their nationality is still British, "Scottish" people are in denial.

I need a sad braveheart emoticon now!

George best considered himself Irish that's good enough for me the whole thing is solved by Georges choice!

George best considered himself Irish that's good enough for me the whole thing is solved by Georges choice!
    Why? Neither his nationality or ethnicity was Irish. That was nice of him though I suppose.

Why? Neither his nationality or ethnicity was Irish. That was nice of him though I suppose.

what?

• Advertisement

what?

I don't know what to say:(

Im sorry but how was George best not Irish?

Im sorry but how was George best not Irish?
    Oh maybe I'm wrong, did he get an Irish passport? I was told he didn't. I was probably misinformed. ]:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

snyper wrote: »
    Do i consider british subjects irish?

no

Do you consider your great grandfather, or possibly grandfather depending on your age, to have been Irish? Or his?

What about Pearse or Connolly?

Do you consider your great grandfather, or possibly grandfather depending on your age, to have been Irish? Or his?

What about Pearse or Connolly?

Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 made them Irish. I'm almost positive. Oh and my grandfathers nationality wasn't Irish till then. I only had one Irish (nationality) grandparent from birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

british if they are protestant
    irish is they are catholic

over all i dont really care what they want to call themselves, theres no right or wrong answer since they are eligible for both irish and british passports

who cares? not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956 made them Irish. I'm almost positive. Oh and my grandfathers nationality wasn't Irish till then. I only had one Irish (nationality) grandparent from birth.

but he didn't play for ireland?

but he didn't play for ireland?
    Confused = me.

Unless you mean my granddad lol in which case no, no he didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Confused = me.

Unless you mean my granddad lol in which case no, no he didn't.

sorry wrong quote.You said best was irish though under that law,didn't you,but he didn't play for roi.

• Advertisement

sorry wrong quote.You said best was irish though under that law,didn't you,but he didn't play for roi.

No under that law, Northern "Irelanders" could choose to be Irish (nationality) or British. I don't know why Best being Presbyterian would choose to be Irish but maybe he did no one answered my question.
    I said it made Pearse and Connolly Irish (nationality)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement