Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Munya wrote: »
    No under that law, Northern "Irelanders" could choose to be Irish (nationality) or British. I don't know why Best being Presbyterian would choose to be Irish but maybe he did no one answered my question.
    I said it made Pearse and Connolly Irish (nationality)

to my mind if pearse was already irish he wouldn't have had to fight for it.Nationality is something you create imo,its not automatically conferred.(well it is but thats not the point)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

The poll here is flawed...........The option of Northern Irish and Irish should be given.

From Derry, from in the North in Ireland.....

It's like us and the Brits..........we get thrown in with them by a lot of countries, the same way Canadians do with Americans.

The same way some people think Cork and Kerry is more or less the same.

Who's more Irish a person from Belfast that uses Sterling and speaks Irish fluently or a scumbag from Dublin that listens to crap English dance music and watches big Brother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Munya

to my mind if pearse was already irish he wouldn't have had to fight for it.Nationality is something you create imo,its not automatically conferred.(well it is but thats not the point)

Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956. His nationality didn't become Irish until 40 years after his death. I have no idea why it took so long, my grandfathers were 51 and 36 when their nationality became Irish.

The poll here is flawed...........The option of Northern Irish and Irish should be given.

From Derry, from in the North in Ireland.....

It's like us and the Brits..........we get thrown in with them by a lot of countries, the same way Canadians do with Americans.

The same way some people think Cork and Kerry is more or less the same.

Who's more Irish a person from Belfast that uses Sterling and speaks Irish fluently or a scumbag from Dublin that listens to crap English dance music and watches big Brother?
    The person from Belfast if they have an Irish surname. And Kerry are awful, love Corkonians though =D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

juvenal wrote: »
    Some of the posts here are laughable.

Let's dispel a few myths. . .

- Saying that people from the north of Ireland are racist, violent, scumbags, or have 'a chip on their shoulder' are ridiculous generalisations, and akin to saying that Dubliners are junkies, Scottish people are tight, Poles are alcoholics or culchies are sheepshaggers etc. They are misleading stereotypes perpetuated by immature philistines who haven't a clue.

That one always cracks me up.
    Most of the English people I know are as tight as two coats of paint, while the Scots I know are quite generous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭KBarry

Terry wrote: »
    Most of the English people I know are as tight as two coats of paint, while the Scots I know are quite generous.

+1 (and I'm English and yes, pretty tight :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,229 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Up the north for the first time in years on Saturday and the one sweeping generalisation I will make about them is that the 17-25 yr. old women up there are mostly very very hot.

Beyond that age they seem to be mostly orange, Toyota Celica driving fag-hags.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1956. His nationality didn't become Irish until 40 years after his death. I have no idea why it took so long, my grandfathers were 51 and 36 when their nationality became Irish.

the point i was making?You missed it.

the point i was making?You missed it.
    lol obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

irish-stew wrote: »
    no such thing as a UK passport either, its the united kingdom of great britian and northern ireland

Which is exactly what the UK is.

It's a union of 2 things i.e. Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Therefore, the passport is a UK passport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

They are whatever they want to be.
    I've lived along the border for many years, and to be honest, I'd say that people on both sides of the border are remarkably ignorant as to what it's like to live on the other side

Still I'm glad I'm from the south, we're a hell of a lot more cosmopolitan, the north has always struck me as been rather insular and provincial, and culturally about 30 years behind the rest of us.

Give it a few generations hopefully they'll evolve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

A good way of telling whose from the North that would consider them selves "Irish" from those that would be "British" is to play Amhran Na BFiann at the end of the night at a venue in the North. Those that stand to attention and shut their mouth would be "Irish" and those that continue to chat and bitch about this tune would be British.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

A good way of telling whose from the North that would consider them selves "Irish" from those that would be "British" is to play Amhran Na BFiann at the end of the night at a venue in the North. Those that stand to attention and shut their mouth would be "Irish" and those that continue to chat and bitch about this tune would be British.

My wife's Irish, she would sit down and moan about it, but she's from Dublin :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

Worst. Plan. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My wife's Irish, she would sit down and moan about it, but she's from Dublin :P

I was onve at a venue in Tipparary where this tune was played three times in a row to get a the crowd to stand up and pay attention, they eventually got the hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭Claire121

Still I'm glad I'm from the south, we're a hell of a lot more cosmopolitan, the north has always struck me as been rather insular and provincial, and culturally about 30 years behind the rest of us.

I think that's rubbish, tbh. I find towns like Drogheda, Dundalk and Athlone every bit as insular and provincial as the north. And I don't think Dublin is even that cosmopolitan, just pretentious for the most part. And I've heard more racist, ignorant comments and attitudes here than I ever saw in Northern Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

the poll is closed and i haven't voted, does that mean Im Irish or that im not Irish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I consider people from Northern Ireland whatever nationality they consider themselves. If they consider themselves British, they're British. I would have republican leanings but I'm not gonna delude myself that everyone in NI is Irish.
    I'm sure there are unionists who consider themselves both British and Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,159 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

The person from Belfast if they have an Irish surname. And Kerry are awful, love Corkonians though =D

So you would call the leader of the Shankell Butchers gang Irish cause his surname was Murphy? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

Dudess wrote: »
    I consider people from Northern Ireland whatever nationality they consider themselves. If they consider themselves British, they're British. I would have republican leanings but I'm not gonna delude myself that everyone in NI is Irish.
    I'm sure there are unionists who consider themselves both British and Irish.
    +1
    Yeah if they make a claim to be anything else either northern irish or british then fine thats what they are but until then I shall consider everyone on the island of ireland to be lumped into the super grouping called Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

BennyLava wrote: »
    the north has always struck me as been rather insular and provincial, and culturally about 30 years behind the rest of us.

30 years of war can do that to a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭juvenal

Claire121 wrote: »
    I think that's rubbish, tbh. I find towns like Drogheda, Dundalk and Athlone every bit as insular and provincial as the north. And I don't think Dublin is even that cosmopolitan, just pretentious for the most part. And I've heard more racist, ignorant comments and attitudes here than I ever saw in Northern Ireland.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭PrivateEye

And I don't think Dublin is even that cosmopolitan, just pretentious for the most part.

Dub-a-lin Town is full of pretentious people alright, without a doubt. Thankfully they stick to two or three establishments anyway, so nobody has to come in contact with them

Drogheda (Who let the Drogs out...), Dundalk and the sort are no different from many towns in the North, tenner bets you wouldn't know which side of the border you were on these days until you seen a roadsign minus the lovelty Teanga.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Puzzle

I am English and British; equally, some people are Irish and British. It's up to the people in the North what they want to be.

Canadians are Americans, but that's not their nationality. People from Northern Ireland are Irish but for most that's not their nationality.

Someone said that fellow Brits don't consider them to be British, which is nonsense. There will be some who don't but then there are some people who think the moon is made of cheese.

The Northern Irish now rub along remarkably well, they can do without being pulled in different directions. The state is British but the people are whatever they choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

They' re more than welcome to be whatever they want to be. And not to assume that anybody else outside of the kip actually gives a fcuk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

Terry wrote: »

most of the english ive met have been down to earth , cool , easy to get on with people
    most of the scotts ive met have been , dour , obtuse and negative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

Ruu wrote: »
    Norn' Irish or Northies.

northies, thats wrong, sure im from north donegal, am i a northie, the word northie does not make sense cause you are calling the northies because they live in the north of ireland, do you call monaghan, cavan, donegal northies, if so how does this distinguish, rep. ireland from n,ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

regob wrote: »
    northies, thats wrong, sure im from north donegal, am i a northie, the word northie does not make sense cause you are calling the northies because they live in the north of ireland, do you call monaghan, cavan, donegal northies, if so how does this distinguish, rep. ireland from n,ireland

my point exactly for a long time!!

a few years ago when i was working in dublin i was with a few west brits dubs in a pub watching armagh play and i was shouting for them... one of the west brits dubs says "sure youre from bleedin caavan, wot would yew be bleedin shoutin for an ulster team for?" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭dasdog

Very silly subject seeing as people from the 06 are Irish by default regardless. Some feel Irish, some Northern Irish, some British, and some a mixture of the three with a minority who laugh at the situation. I don't know what is more ridiculous - this joke of a country or the pathetic excuse that exists up North. Our main political parties "down south" were founded as a result of historical divisions when it is clear as daylight that a prudent opposition party in government would be must better abled to question the thinking of government decision making than Enda Kenny's Fine Gael. Stubborness and religion go hand in hand. As does selfishness because most people in the Republic would not be willing to take the financial hit of dismantling the border with 71`% of NI's employment being civil serpants. The Free State/Republic brushed aside the problem for decades and a lot of it's citizens don't wan't to know. It's pathetic really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭regob

flanum wrote: »
    my point exactly for a long time!!

a few years ago when i was working in dublin i was with a few west brits dubs in a pub watching armagh play and i was shouting for them... one of the west brits dubs says "sure youre from bleedin caavan, wot would yew be bleedin shoutin for an ulster team for?" :rolleyes:

yeah the same kinda thing happened to me before, about six months ago i was at a youth meeting in dublin and at lunch the fella goes to me, so did ya get a good rate in changing currency today.
    just incase it isnt clear, he thought donegal people used sterling

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement