Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you consider people from Northern Ireland Irish??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

regob wrote: »
    yeah the same kinda thing happened to me before, about six months ago i was at a youth meeting in dublin and at lunch the fella goes to me, so did ya get a good rate in changing currency today.
    just incase it isnt clear, he thought donegal people used sterling

a definite case for rolleyes! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Puzzle wrote: »

Someone said that fellow Brits don't consider them to be British, which is nonsense. There will be some who don't but then there are some people who think the moon is made of cheese.

The Northern Irish now rub along remarkably well, they can do without being pulled in different directions. The state is British but the people are whatever they choose.

To say the Brits don't consider Northern Irish people British is a major and ridiculous generalisation to make. But, I have came across many British people (now they wouldn't be stupid, but...they'd be no scholars and maybe very naive at the time I was talking to them as it was back in 1st year of college-in Scotland) who simply don't even know what the situation is, or was, with Ireland and Northern Ireland. They don't even have it in their history lessons in schools...why would they, they only caused it?!? ....Anyway, I was living with a girl from NI and most of my housemates did not know the difference between are nationalities (the NI girl considered herself British). Trying to explain to them why we considered ourselves from different countries was next to impossible. A couple of them couldn't even differeniate between our accents!! And I'm from Carlow and she was from Portadown!

I really 100% agree with you, Puzzle, when you say that the state is British but it is entirely up to the people lving within NI to choose their own preference for Nationality. As I have friends from NI who consider themselves completely Irish and others who consider themselves British. And it will always be a subject to brooch VERY carefully if all of us are together! We don't let it stand in the way of our friendships, because there is no point in continueing the hundreds of years of prejudice induced by our location and religion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

Was the last time that you were on the Dublin to Belfast bus 1986 by any chance? ;)

have you considered that they might have been immgration police officers? many undocumented non nationals enter the republic via belfast. you would see the GNIB knocking around boarder towns like ballyshannon etc regularily

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Having lived Britain now for 15 years, I can safely say most British people I have met have no idea of the differences between NI and the RoI. They considered them all Irish in any case.

The NI state is in the UK not Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I'd consider them northern irish, like if you go up there you'll find they have much more in common with the rest of the UK that they do us.
    I like most people refer to my country as 'Ireland' and their country as 'Northern Ireland'.
    Though it doesn't keep me awake at night thats for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

1huge1 wrote: »
    I'd consider them northern irish, like if you go up there you'll find they have much more in common with the rest of the UK that they do us.

Maybe, but we (the people of NI) have more in common with each other than we do with people in Great Britain.

In my humble opinion, people in NI are Irish, British and Northern Irish, but what citizenship(s) they hold and what they actually feel inside is completely different. You can be 100% Irish and not have an Irish passport.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Anything that isn't from south dublin is Irish dogs donkeys and all :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,410 ✭✭✭Riddle101

I only consider people from Northern Ireland who say they're Irish, Irish. But if they maintain that they're British then i'll say no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Nope, consider NI to be a country all of it's own, it just happens to be part of Britain, no different to Scotland, Wales or England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

farohar wrote: »
    Nope, consider NI to be a country all of it's own, it just happens to be part of Britain, no different to Scotland, Wales or England.

Part of UK, not Britain. Britain is an island just like Ireland.

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote: »
    Part of UK, not Britain. Britain is an island just like Ireland.
    The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, commonly known as the United Kingdom, the UK, or Britain
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

If you really want to get pedantic and technical, UK is an old term that usually refers to Britain and the entireity of Ireland, as represented by the Union Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Well since the poll is closed, I didn't get to vote.

They are whatever they want to be. The two populations either identify with being british or being Irish. Those who identify with being Irish are no doubt, Irish. The North hasn't even been created a heart-beat, and already people are trying to push them away. It's disgraceful. They are as Irish as anyone else on this Island. To deny them that right is disgusting. They are Northern-Irish in the same context that I am South-eastern Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭adsgirl

I live in Northern Ireland, I and my family consider ourselves Northern Irish , we are not a part of Britan , Britan is an Island,Geographicaly NI does not belong to that Island.
    Despite the fact I refer to myself as Irish all be it Northern and hold an Irish passport, I still have to accept I am part of a wider UK..
    It also saddens me to read posts in this thread that consistently refer to us as them, a huge proportion of people from NI support the Irish economy, we work , shop, and year on year support the tourist industry within the South, so why refer to us as them, like some form of foreign aliens?

adsgirl wrote: »
    It also saddens me to read posts in this thread that consistently refer to us as them, a huge proportion of people from NI support the Irish economy, we work , shop, and year on year support the tourist industry within the South, so why refer to us as them, like some form of foreign aliens?
    A large number of people from the Republic also go up north to shop due to cheaper prices, so I don't really consider that a valid point for considering NI "us" when politically and economically you are a separate entity to ROI. That's not even allowing for how if we accept your request and consider NI as "us" then the unionists would get their knickers in a twist and be complaining that we not call people from NI "them" and how dare we try claim them, probably with many a "Noo!" thrown in for measure.

Basically it's a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario. :(

A large number of people from the Republic also go up north to shop due to cheaper prices, so I don't really consider that a valid point for considering NI "us" when politically and economically you are a separate entity to ROI. That's not even allowing for how if we accept your request and consider NI as "us" then the unionists would get their knickers in a twist and be complaining that we not call people from NI "them" and how dare we try claim them, probably with many a "Noo!" thrown in for measure.

Basically it's a damned if we do, damned if we don't scenario. :(

Exactly I totaly agree with you, both states are supporting each other finanicaly, and I am not getting my knickers in a twist( bought in Dublin), I just don't like being refered to as them:P

Exactly I totaly agree with you, both states are supporting each other finanicaly, and I am not getting my knickers in a twist( bought in Dublin), I just don't like being refered to as them:P

So what out of the choice of "you" "he" "her" "them" "you(plural)" should we use for people not of the location with imaginary boundaries that exclude those living in Northern Ireland, clearly "us" is incorrect (I hope "me" doesn't even need pointing out as such)? Or should we just use some other, probably slightly derogatory knowing AH, shortened name for Northern Irelanders?

Change the whole sentence format, thus making it much easier to insert... Citizens Of Northern Ireland....

Problem is, as I've said to you elsewhere today, people tend towards the easiest option, as such where they can use a big long term like you suggest or a simple "them", which do you really think they'll use? Best you could hope for would be "CONIs" or something of the like, which in this place (AH) would probably get shortened further to "CONs" just for lulz.

Problem is, as I've said to you elsewhere today, people tend towards the easiest option, as such where they can use a big long term like you suggest or a simple "them", which do you really think they'll use? Best you could hope for would be "CONIs" or something of the like, which in this place (AH) would probably get shortened further to "CONs" just for lulz.

Yeah I take your point, CONs could create huge problems on AH, pot calling the kettle and all that , best to stick with the original Them...

Yeah I take your point, CONs could create huge problems on AH, pot calling the kettle and all that , best to stick with the original Them...

Well, maybe without the capital "t" at the start, makes it seem a bit sinister with that.;)

• Advertisement

Well, maybe without the capital "t" at the start, makes it seem a bit sinister with that.;)
    them......................................

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

I'm not very politically minded...
    I consider Ireland - is actually a full island.

Its stuck to the rest of the country.. So geographically speaking we, on the Island of Ireland are Irish... All of us. Including anybody born on our soil....
    Unless we saw off the top bit and let them float about as an independant new place.. they could even give it a new hip name! :)

Naturally , ploitics will say otherwise-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭HoneyButterfly

Its stuck to the rest of the country.. So geographically speaking we, on the Island of Ireland are Irish... All of us. Including anybody born on our soil....
    Unless we saw off the top bit and let them float about as an independant new place.. they could even give it a new hip name! :)

So basically you're saying that because NI is stuck to the rest of the country, everyone there is Irish?! So...Canadians are the same as Americans, who in turn must be the same as Mexicans right?! South Africans must also be the same as North Africans? Germans the same as Austrians?!
    The fact of the matter is, there is a boundary there. I'm not saying I want it there, but it has to be acknowledged. But I have friends from NI who consider themselves 100% Irish, they're not deluded, they know they are part of the United Kingdom, but they would rather be refered to as Irish. However, I have friends from NI that would be digusted with someone clumping them together with Ireland simply because they are attached to it physically and geographically.

So basically you're saying that because NI is stuck to the rest of the country, everyone there is Irish?! So...Canadians are the same as Americans, who in turn must be the same as Mexicans right?! South Africans must also be the same as North Africans? Germans the same as Austrians?!
    The fact of the matter is, there is a boundary there. I'm not saying I want it there, but it has to be acknowledged. But I have friends from NI who consider themselves 100% Irish, they're not deluded, they know they are part of the United Kingdom, but they would rather be refered to as Irish. However, I have friends from NI that would be digusted with someone clumping them together with Ireland simply because they are attached to it physically and geographically.

Well said............but with the exceptions of the Canadians, a Nation who clubs baby seals, needs nuked not floated out to sea..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

we are all earthlings .... cant we all just get along? :)

Im thinking, abolish national identity. then we'd never have to worry about it ever again ;)

No, wasn't thinking about anywhere other than here.. call them selves whatever makes them happy. I, happen to not mind in the slightest.

Well said............but with the exceptions of the Canadians, a Nation who clubs baby seals, needs nuked not floated out to sea..

And we're so much better?:confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198914

Happy I said "we", or would you rather that just those of us south of the border were nuked for our poor treatment of seals? :p

And we're so much better?:confused:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=198914

Happy I said "we", or would you rather that just those of us south of the border were nuked for our poor treatment of seals? :p

Not happy at all:( I really hope the Kerry incident was a one off, Jesus where else in Ireland would you find it........:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,189 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom

If you really want to get pedantic and technical, UK is an old term that usually refers to Britain and the entireity of Ireland, as represented by the Union Jack.

Eh? The UK is a current term that refers to Britain and NI. Clearly NI is not part of Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I consider them whatever they say they are (between British and Irish of course).

I don't fully agree with saying they're all Irish due to being on the island of Ireland as technically that makes us all British considering Ireland is in what people call the "British Isles". Which I don't agree with at all. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

occupied Irish

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement