Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capturing VHS on a PC

Options
  • 23-07-2008 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

I want to capture and backup VHS cassettes on my PC. I've seen a few external ones on the market (most prominently the Pinnacle Dazzle range).

I've just build my first PC (with a little help from the nice people here on boards.ie:p), and would prefer not to be adding external devices with two weeks!

Are there any PCI cards on the market that anyone could recommend?

Or am I better to go with an external solution like those from Pinnacle?

All input is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Never having done it myself but I would assume that the use of a TV tuner card like this would allow you to hook the tape player up to the pc, tune it in and record the content to the hard-disk.

If your tape player has a "S-video out" connection then I would assume the tuning part would not be necessary.

Also I think this thread would be better suited to the tech/comp main forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

Never having done it myself but I would assume that the use of a TV tuner card like this would allow you to hook the tape player up to the pc, tune it in and record the content to the hard-disk.

If your tape player has a "S-video out" connection then I would assume the tuning part would not be necessary.

Also I think this thread would be better suited to the tech/comp main forum.

Thanks Cuddlesworth.

I'm guessing I'd use a video editing package like PowerDirector or Adobe Premiere to capture the video?

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in. Thought this would be a good place to start. I'm sure the mods won't be shy about moving it if they think its more suited to elsewhere:p

rosboy wrote: »
    Thanks Cuddlesworth.

I'm guessing I'd use a video editing package like PowerDirector or Adobe Premiere to capture the video?

Wasn't sure which forum to post this in. Thought this would be a good place to start. I'm sure the mods won't be shy about moving it if they think its more suited to elsewhere:p

The card I linked to above says it records to Mpeg2, so it would be logical to think that it supplies software to do this. Don't limit yourself to only that card, I just grabbed it as a quick example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Im not sure if this is the right place for this thread, even though what cuddlesworth is saying makes sense. OP if you want this moved to the home entertainment forum just let me know.

The card I linked to above says it records to Mpeg2, so it would be logical to think that it supplies software to do this. Don't limit yourself to only that card, I just grabbed it as a quick example.

I was just trying to get an idea for the process...I haven't bought that card yet:D

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    Im not sure if this is the right place for this thread, even though what cuddlesworth is saying makes sense. OP if you want this moved to the home entertainment forum just let me know.

Anti,

I'll leave it up to you. If you think I might have more luck in the home entertainment forum, please move it. As I said, I wasn't sure what would be the most appropriate forum. I'll defer to those more knowledgable than me;)

rosboy wrote: »
    I was just trying to get an idea for the process...I haven't bought that card yet:D

Cool, its just that sometimes generic examples can be taken as specific.

Advertisement