Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seeking Architectural Technology work in the U.S.A.

Options
  • 23-07-2008 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

(I have posted this on the Architecture and Art forum but Noblestee said I would have more chances of finding answers here among my Technician bretheren!!!)

Hi there.

I am an Architectural Technician with 11 years experience in the job and have tackled just about everything from extensions, single houses to Industrial buildings, commercial, office and apartment buildings and also have experience with housing developments so I have a pretty wide and varied portfolio of experience.

I am looking to broaden my horizons and would like to move to the US and work in the Architecture field over there.

I have no experience of the profession in that country and nobody that I know has any either. My query is...as an Architectural Technician are we recognised in any way in the US or do they have an equivalent profession to the Architectural Technician over there or would I simply be referred to as an Architect, just not registered as such??? Have any Technicians on here experience working in the US and what the processes are for getting a green card to work and live in the US?? Really I am looking for as much information as I can so as to be a little better prepared.

Hopefully you guys can help me out.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

One of the year heads of Arch Tech in DIT talks alot about the US (lives there part-time sort of) you might talk to him and maybe find out some more.

I've no idea if he's still avail in the college as this was his last year there, he retired at the end of the sememster

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 neutrinoboy

Thanks Jozi,

If you could help me to maybe get in contact with them that would be great. :) Any info on the profession over there at all and how the Arch Tech is viewed over there would be a godsend.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I was in college today. The place is dead, all the staff is also gone.

Only person there was the secretary, you could try calling her (i can't find a no handy) and asking?

Can't really help you anymore than this.

check pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 mwillis

I am also considering relocating to the US, and would love to hear an update on this topic and if anyone has more advice.

Advertisement