Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what .223

Options
  • 23-07-2008 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

lads im looking to get a .223 and wondering what is a good rifle to get??

thaks for your help

i will be using it for bunnies, foxes and a bit of target!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

What do you intend to use it for? Makes a differnece it what will be suggested

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

$hit cant beleiev i forgot to put that in the opening post!

i will be using it for bunnys, foxing and a bit of target!

i have a decent sight and bipods on the rifle im getting rid of so just looking for the rifle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭ballistic

what price range and how serious on targets

not too serious on target more for the hunting!

upper limit of say €1000

oh and preferably someting factory threaded!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Have my eye on a CZ Varmint 527. Synthetic stock to take the knocks, heavy barrel. Seen one for €950 but its mine hopefully. ;)

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    Have my eye on a CZ Varmint 527. Synthetic stock to take the knocks, heavy barrel. Seen one for €950 but its mine hopefully. ;)

is that 950 second hand?

not too serious on target more for the hunting!

upper limit of say €1000

Tikka all the way t3 lite stainless is about 1000 euro, the lite blued barrel is around 900 euro. You very seldom get a shot out 223 so secondhand may be an option from a reputable dealer. I think the tikka t3 varmint is around the 1100 euro mark. See www.tikka.fi The tikka has a 1 in eight twist so it in theory favours the heavier rounds like 55gn up I owned a t3 lite in 223 and it fired 40 grainers with accuracey as well as 55 gn and 64 gn.

Remingtons are good too and they have faster twists and could be got for similar money.

A cheap 223 which i fired recently was a cz brno american (wood with blued barell) it was amazingly accurate. I think they are around the 700 mark and come with a set trigger.
    Howas are new on the market and are cheap but look well i dont know how they shoot the promise that comes with them is that they will shoot 1.5" inch group at 100 yds i think thats crap accuracy, also their stocks seem flimsy. By the way tikka promise a 1" group at 100 yards but they do much better than that.

enjoy your hunt for a rifle
    (if your rifle has a 5/8 thread i know where you can pick up a cool moderator)

cheers ballistic just looking there i like the look of the tikka t 3 tactical but may be a bit pricey.

i have a cz at the moment and find them very good do you know any where that stocks the cz in a .223?

and il keep it mind about the mod!thanks

is that 950 second hand?

What secondhand NO way
    only the best for me:)
    Ring around I was quoted €1250 in Dublin for the same gun:eek:

My son bought a CZ Lux 223 last March for €650 NEW

What secondhand NO way

thanks i will do..........when i find the right one:D

• Advertisement

most places should stock them they wont be hard to find, get a shooters digest magazine and ring around. the cz i fired was putting the cheap umc remington 45gn hollow into half an inch at 100 yds and 50 gn norma v max a little tighter. I couldnt get over the velocities the barell was giving the 50 gn norma was doing 3400 fps. it was a cz american

What secondhand NO way

And get the get a shooters digest magazine for dealers numbers

wow thats good where did he find that??

wow thats good where did he find that??

Connolly's Red Mills, Goresbridge, Co. Kilkenny.
    059 977580
    086 3734749

BUT DON'T ASK about the 223 Varmint that's mine (well not just yet)

059 977580
    086 3734749

hmmmm interesting hehe ah i would do that im still in the searching around phase still have to ask my fao before i buy!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭riflehunter77

059 977580
    086 3734749

Im off to connollys in the moring just got a call this evening they have a CZ 527 lux in for me to have a look at, 700 Euro one of the cheapest quotes I got. Might have an auld look at that varmint clivej :D:D

Peter-pantslez make sure you give a good ring around, 700 was the best quote I got. I got quoted 1150 for the same gun.

Im off to connollys in the moring just got a call this evening they have a CZ 527 lux in for me to have a look at, 700 Euro one of the cheapest quotes I got. Might have an auld look at that varmint clivej :D:D

Peter-pantslez make sure you give a good ring around, 700 was the best quote I got. I got quoted 1150 for the same gun.

It's mine It's mine.
    There closed tomorrow earthquake hit them and the floods and the fire and brimstone shower.
    I'll be there B4 you camping out overnight. See you in the morning ;).

RifleHunter. I find the 'comb' on the stock of the Lux somewhat low and have to hold my head higher up when firing the gun though the scope. The Lux has iron sights thats why the comb is low.

RifleHunter. I find the 'comb' on the stock of the Lux somewhat low and have to hold my head higher up when firing the gun though the scope. The Lux has iron sights thats why the comb is low.

Thanks clive ill leave the varmint to you, will have an auld look at it doe just to compare. Its good weather to be camping out :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Have the Tikka T3 lite, IMO Tikka's range of 223's are the best available in terms of value for money, feeding, looks and choice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

RH77 make sure you dry fire the varmint a couple of dozen times and drop it muzzle first on the floor :eek::eek:;):D:D, lad's do test the triggers on the ones ye are looking at as although they are ajustable there can be a big difference between them. The pull on some can be very rough. other than that ye can't beat a CZ!:) By the way the varmint with the kevlar stock has a 1in 9 twist so, good for bullet weights to 69 gr. and also loves those cheap umc 45gr jobbies which just explode :D All the other models have a 1in 12 twist , including the wood stock varmint.

Thanks fish slapped I heard a little about there trigger system and was reading throught the online manual last night. Its seems the trigger can be set at different stages for targert and for hunting. Saftey will be the key option I dont wont to have the trigger to light and have least knock and off goes the round..Anyone know if there is much hassle fitting a harris bi pod to the cz 527 ???????????

Anyone know if there is much hassle fitting a harris bi pod to the cz 527 ???????????

i didnt have any problems putting harris bi-pods on my cz 527 hornet but after a while the stub just came out of the stock. it looks like the thread in the stock broke! and the exact same happened to my mates on sunday night.

thats a pain it happens to tikkas the odd time too. Remove the stock get someone handy to bore it out. buy a stud with a nut on the back of it and counter sink it into the stock make sure it isnt touching the barell. you could get a screw in stud and screw it in close to the old one. if the stock is synthetic youd be suprised how well good super glue can do the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

ballistic wrote: »
    thats a pain it happens to tikkas the odd time too. Remove the stock get someone handy to bore it out. buy a stud with a nut on the back of it and counter sink it into the stock make sure it isnt touching the barell. you could get a screw in stud and screw it in close to the old one. if the stock is synthetic youd be suprised how well good super glue can do the job!

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Mac Tire

I had a 527 hornet with a harris on it...i got a second stud fitted just for the bipod. The ones that come on the CZ's are a bit finer than the uncle mikes version so my bipod had a habbit of coming off the stud, and i didnt want it to come off and fall and bust all and sundry. I got really lucky one day when it came off, i caught the rifle by the butt...got the second stud fitted that evening...:rolleyes:

I pulled the stud out on my CZ 22lr with the synthetic stock putting on the harris bipod. Took off the stock and drilled out the hole from the barrel but not the way through, that way the stud just fitted back and held itself. Put epoxy resin in from inside and heated up with hot air gun to make the epoxy run better.
    BUT I forgot to put oil or greese on the stud to stop the epoxy sticking to it. Now the stud is there for good and can't unscrew it.

what are the steyr .223's like??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

what are the steyr .223's like??

The prohunters are good, I don't know much about either the scout or SSG. The prohunters have a silky bolt.

• Advertisement

does any one no anything about the scout and especially the ssg???

Advertisement