Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what .223

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 zaitsev

I have a Steyr Pro Varmint in 223 and find it excellent, previously had the Pro Hunter but found the barrel on the light side for targets.
    Have no complaints with the Varmint.

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=161

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

zaitsev wrote: »
    I have a Steyr Pro Varmint in 223 and find it excellent, previously had the Pro Hunter but found the barrel on the light side for targets.
    Have no complaints with the Varmint.

http://www.steyrarms.com/index.php?id=161

thats a lovely looking rifle! does it come with a black barrell?

ok iv narrowed things down to the following rifles......

remington 700 sps varmint,

cz 527 kevlar varmint,
    or
    steyr pro varmint.

can anyone give me the pros and cons of these rifles and what would be the best all rounder and accurate.

thanks lads

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Have heard the SPS is not a safe bet, no consistency. Have heard issues can often be solved by replacing the stock or with a very good bedding job, but that CZ looks like a very good bet, and you can get some crackin aftermarket triggers for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

As I have said I have a CZ varmint bought, license coming. I got to try one last week a the Midlands range
    very good and feels oh so right-- ie the weight, length, stock.
    If the weather is good I'll get to shoot another at the range in the morning.
    I looked at the Tika lite, Howa lite and heavy, different Remingtons to me the CZ felt the best, and it shoots good out of the box ---without the need to do any modifications like you may end up doing with the remingtons.

TRY ONE and see for yourself.

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    TRY ONE and see for yourself.

i would if i knew someone that had one:D

in fairness i would be kinda inclined to go for the cz myself as i have one now and never had any trouble with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Peter Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I tried out the CZ Varmint again yesterday at the range. It was the laminated version in 223. What can I say MOA and better @200m. It had a long T4 fitted nice and moderated.
    These guns are just so well ballanced and the palm swell of the stock fits so well, the trigger falls into the right place for me. What I realy like is that they aren't that heavy, in total, for a varmint rifle and will be easy to carry when out hunting the red lad and more...........:D:D

I also shot the CZ lux 223. There's such a difference when you can shoot one after the other using the same ammo. With the varmint there's a lot less kick back into the shoulder and the rifle just sat in the front rest bag without any jump up.
    Glad I have one on the way.
    I'm not faulting any of the other guns reviewed here as I did not try any of them but I have found the NEW rifle for me........:):):):)
    CJ......

Advertisement