Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

labour costs for a mechanic for rear calipers and pipes

Options
  • 23-07-2008 6:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hello,

My car has just failed NCT although passed MOT in May. Sounds that British MOT is not very reliable. Buying a car in UK is starting to eat its tail now. It appears that:

I need to replace two rear callipers, four rear flexi pipes and one steel joining brake pipe (mazda mx3 1.8v6) . I was wondering what may be the labour costs for it? I got the approx cost of parts on the internet for callipers from USA and from halfords (any good website or spare parts shops in Dublin you may recommend?!)

I am going to the garage tomorrow but I have never been there so I want to be prepared in case they plan to rip me off. Up until now I didnt know nothing about cars. Prices which I got from the authorized mazda dealer where quite shocking (307 euro for one original calliper plus labour). In halfords they are for 138 euro each (xl brand).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

garage flux-u-ate from 35-55 an hour, but generally 35-40 is a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭ismynametoolong

Thats the problem with UK imports they rot due to the high amount of salt
    used there in the winter . compare the underside of any Uk car to an equivalent Irish and you would think the UK car had been dipped in the sea .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

I bought a set of rear brake calipers for my parent's Mazda 626 on eBay. They were cheaper than a motor factor and FAR cheaper than a main dealer (quoted €700 for the pair in a dealer, while I got them for €200 on eBay).

This was the guy I got them from: http://stores.ebay.ie/PARTS-CENTRE-UK

You might want to send him an e-mail to see if he has any of what you need in stock, as he has more stock than what's advertised there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 tytlak

very helpful, thanks lads!!

I am waiting for the quote from this seller. He said he would be able to find them for me.

That's what I heart that they use a lot of salt in UK. In Europe it is quite common due to the heavy snowfalls and cold weather but why in UK? There is not much snow over there...

Advertisement