Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition to Road Bike

Options
  • 23-07-2008 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hi. Have been commuting to and from work for the past year on a mountain bike and am currently looking for something a bit faster. I currently run quite a bit and am interested in looking into triathlons next year. I am on quite a severe budget and was considering the Saracen Tour 1 on wiggle; http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/Saracen_Tour_1_2008/5360032981/. I have been looking in local bike shops for a second hand racer in this price range but no luck.
    Basically I want to know opinions of this bike/brand and really if I would be better off waiting a while until I can afford something better.
    All comments welcome.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

It _might_ do but is unlikely to be great; Saracen wouldn't have the best brand reputation to be honest. I'd look in Buy and Sell/Adverts.ie/Gumtree etc. rather in shops, you should be able to get something second hand around that price range.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭crosbie

blorg wrote: »
    It _might_ do but is unlikely to be great; Saracen wouldn't have the best brand reputation to be honest. I'd look in Buy and Sell/Adverts.ie/Gumtree etc. rather in shops, you should be able to get something second hand around that price range.
    thanks blorg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Just reading Cycling Plus here, if you could stretch to £399 the Merida 880-24 got a very good review for a budget road bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 thedandoon

I used a mountain bike for ages too until i splashed out on a racing bike lats year ....and boy am i happy now!!! 45 min to work is now 26 mins;););) i bought a Carrera in Halfords. Think it was about 350 euro but when i looked up the price in UK it was nearly 450 sterling. Very happy with the racer i have to say but still take out the mountain bike going downtown in carlow cos the street surfaces are similar to lunar landscape!!!:eek:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,198 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

If you're going to be spending that sort of money, I'd go second hand I reckon.

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=61159&cat=52

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
Advertisement