Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

mondeo 2001 Tbelt question

Options
  • 23-07-2008 6:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭

Lads

I was to buy a 02 mondeo lx but the clown has no tax book. so I sussed out a 01 1.8 zetec, all electrics and that. The owner has no record of a timing belt change tho, it has 116k miles on her now.

letting it go for 3k, he thinks the belt was done but has not evidence.? I thought this would have a chain?

How much would a timing belt cost to replace roughly from a garage?

it got a service up to about 60k miles, this one.

opinions.? I am also thinking of an accord, 1.8 saloon, something nice and comfy with some creature comforts.

chow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭groomek

usually a timing belt on a ford is done after 100k.when they change a belt they put a sticker on the engine saying it was done{not every garage does it}
    It cost me 200euro to change my belt.never take a chance with a timing belt,if it goes ull have major problems

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭groupb

They have a timing chain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

How would you know if its a belt or a chain? the owner doesnt seem to know alot. but its a good bargain.

How would you know if its a belt or a chain? the owner doesnt seem to know alot. but its a good bargain.

I've had two of them. Brilliant cars - both missed.

I was thinking it had a chain, would it have duratec on the engin blockk if it had a chain?

the 02 lx had duratet on the block. Im not too into mondeos you see...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Afaik the 1.8 (125bhp) Zetec is chain driven. Have a good mechanic check the car out before buying it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

groupb wrote: »
    I've had two of them. Brilliant cars - both missed.

+1
    me too.........good motors:)

Is there anything in particular I should look out for in this car? 2001 1.8 zetec.

getting it for a very good price, I will just change the oil, filter, and plugs when I get her, hopefully that is all it needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

I had one of the Accord 1.8 saloons. Great car. Solid as a rock.

Yeah, I bought a 97 accord for my non car literate friend, he just fills it up with petrol. been driving it 4 years now and not a bother...

I am set on the mondeo, hopefully its not a lemon. I have been looking for zetec 1.8s all over and they are pricey enough, 3grand for a 01 is a steal.

• Advertisement

Is there anything in particular I should look out for in this car? 2001 1.8 zetec.

getting it for a very good price, I will just change the oil, filter, and plugs when I get her, hopefully that is all it needs.

Why are you changing the plugs?
    Do you know what engine oil a mondeo uses?
    I really think you need to look into what you're buying before you work on it.
    Why is it such a good price?
    I'm not trying to criticise you , but as with any cheap car there may be a reason for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A friend from work bought a 01 1.8 Zetec Mondeo about 2 years ago for €4k which was cheap at the time. It was a one driver company car with 105k miles and ffsh. So €3k for one now is an ok price but far from a steal imo.

A friend from work bought a 01 1.8 Zetec Mondeo about 2 years ago for €4k which was cheap at the time. It was a one driver company car with 105k miles and ffsh. So €3k for one now is an ok price but far from a steal imo.

well give me linkys so, I have been looking for the last week.

prices go from anywhere up to around 10k/11k for up to 2002 models.

3k is by far the cheapest I have seen for a 01 zetec model.

I have been texting. calling some people and their ignorance beggars belief, ie not knowing if it was a zetec or lx model. or not replying to texts, up to them if they want to sell

Advertisement