Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modelling in ireland

Options
  • 23-07-2008 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

hey i am 15. 5'6" (stil growing!) and looking to become a model. any idea where i can go to start?

thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

get a friend to take some photos of you. you'll need a headshot and full length shot. don't wear make-up or keep it very very minimal. the headshot should be you just looking straight into the camera. for the full length photo wear clothes that show your figure, like a tank top and jeans. you'll need to find out your measurements too. chest-waist-hips eg 33-24-33(inches). send all this along with your height and dress size to some agenices with some contact details. if they like you they'll contact you and arrange to meet you. hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xxdancindivaxx

thats does help thanks!

i forgot to say that if anyone asks you for money don't hand it over. you DO NOT have to pay money to become a model or get signed. if they're interested in getting professional photos taken of you they will pay for them. any agency that asks you for money is not a legitimate agency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 xxdancindivaxx

thanks so much cus i probably would have handed over the money! your a great help! thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

A quick word of advice, if you're serious about it, get some proper photos done. It can be far too difficult for a model agency, photographer or stylist to pick a model on poorly taken headshots (Not saying your friend will take a bad headshot, but someone who knows what they're doing will give a better result).

You've got to put in a bit of money and a bit of time for prints/CD to get far at all in modeling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Fajitas! wrote: »

You've got to put in a bit of money and a bit of time for prints/CD to get far at all in modeling.

No you dont.If your model material one of the modeling agencys will take pictures of you for free. Just go round Assets and Compton one afternoon and they will either invest in you or they wont. If you have to pay for pictures at any stage then you are not model material.

panda100 wrote: »
    No you dont.If your model material one of the modeling agencys will take pictures of you for free. Just go round Assets and Compton one afternoon and they will either invest in you or they wont. If you have to pay for pictures at any stage then you are not model material.

i totally agree with this. you do not have to put any money in at all. if they're interested in you they'll want to take professional photos of you and they'll pay because they're interested. good luck!!

I see the photos they take every week.

They are terrible for judging a models looks.
    If you have to pay for pictures at any stage then you are not model material.

Not always true. Getting a photographer and/or makeup artist to go through some portfolio work with you for money, prints or a CD shows you're willing to make an investment in modeling, rather than just assuming you'll make it big from a head and body shot from an agency. The better your port is, the more likely you'll get work, the more return you're going to have. Simple :)

if you get signed to an agency they'll work on your portfolio with you for free. even better :)

Not if you look like a minger in some rubbish photos they won't.

The better the photo, the better the chance of you getting an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

You could always join one of those photgraphy/model/fashion forums and see if photographers/make-up artists starting out in the business would be willing to work together for prints.

Not if you look like a minger in some rubbish photos they won't.

The better the photo, the better the chance of you getting an interview.
    Exactly!
    Larianne wrote: »
    You could always join one of those photgraphy/model/fashion forums and see if photographers/make-up artists starting out in the business would be willing to work together for prints.

Qft!

Qft!

what dat mean? :o

Is your normal line not giving out about women being seen as sex objects and so on?

Or are you trying to sabotage the OPs chances of landing a contract..

Larianne wrote: »
    what dat mean? :o

Quoted for truth!

I'm out of thanks, so was the easiest way of agreeing with you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,388 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Based on you age, I'd say the best way is to find a friend/family friend who has a bit of background in photography and ask them to to the photos for you. Always consider takin a chaperone or pareent with you.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Is your normal line not giving out about women being seen as sex objects and so on?

My evil plan foiled..............Nah Im just trying to be helpful. Theres a lot of deluded innocent young girls out there shelving out huge amounts of dosh on photographs hoping they'll make it back on modelling yet there chances of getting work as a model is about 0%.
    If you want to have some nice pics of yourself then by all means pay out money to a photographer.If you actually want to be a model then go straight to an agency,a few reputable ones such as assets,Elite or Compton.They will tell you wether or not you are model material and It will save you a lot of money getting shots done.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,787 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

If you want to be a top class Irish model, it's all about just how low you will for a bit of cash? Do you have no problem posing in a bikini on Grafton Street with a fruit pastille lolly in your mouth? Would you have sex with Brian Ormonde? All things to think about..

My evil plan foiled..............Nah Im just trying to be helpful. Theres a lot of deluded innocent young girls out there shelving out huge amounts of dosh on photographs hoping they'll make it back on modelling yet there chances of getting work as a model is about 0%.
    If you want to have some nice pics of yourself then by all means pay out money to a photographer.If you actually want to be a model then go straight to an agency,a few reputable ones such as assets,Elite or Compton.They will tell you wether or not you are model material and It will save you a lot of money getting shots done.

+1

OR... Heaven forbid, you invest into getting a proper shoot, getting professional photographs, to put in a portfolio, you'll have a much more likely chance of making money back out of it. By all means go to an agency, but ffs, don't rely on their shots to rake in the money for you. See it from the side of a photog, designer or stylist - Who are you going to hire? The model with the standard head shot and body shot, or the model with a portfolio showing more looks? At a higher standard too.

Don't be silly. Anyone that thinks modeling is as easy as walking into an agency, them thinking you might work, get some photos, and you can wait by the phone for the money to roll in needs a serious "wtf am I doing?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No,no,no. You do not have to pay for photos. The agencies want a natural beauty, not somebody who needs professional shots to look good. My sister got signed off some shots her friend took of her standing outside her office in a vest top and jeans. She brought them into the agency, they asked her some questions and that was it. OP, just take other posters advice and get some simple, natural shots and head into the agencies yourself so they can see you in the flesh.

OR... Heaven forbid, you invest into getting a proper shoot, getting professional photographs, to put in a portfolio, you'll have a much more likely chance of making money back out of it. By all means go to an agency, but ffs, don't rely on their shots to rake in the money for you. See it from the side of a photog, designer or stylist - Who are you going to hire? The model with the standard head shot and body shot, or the model with a portfolio showing more looks? At a higher standard too.

Don't be silly. Anyone that thinks modeling is as easy as walking into an agency, them thinking you might work, get some photos, and you can wait by the phone for the money to roll in needs a serious "wtf am I doing?"

Fajitas I presume from your sig your a professional photographer? Im sure you make a lot of money of young wanabee models.

Do you know how many photos agencys like Assets get every day?Hundreds. Why would they look twice at a posed photo from some photographer airbrushed within an inch of its life.This is excatly what the agencies are not looking for. A picture on any digital/disposable camera of you with minimal makeup,hair tied back back and wearing a simple outfit will be just as good.

Answer to OP's question.If your serious about modelling spend a day going around the various modelling agencies,even go visit some agencies in London If you feel you have what It takes.

Fajitas I presume from your sig your a professional photographer? Im sure you make a lot of money of young wanabee models.

Yes I am, and no I don't. It's not really my thing. I prefer the other end of the scale. I'm not posting to make money out of the OP.
    Do you know how many photos agencys like Assets get every day?Hundreds. Why would they look twice at a posed photo from some photographer airbrushed within an inch of its life.This is excatly what the agencies are not looking for. A picture on any digital/disposable camera of you with minimal makeup,hair tied back back and wearing a simple outfit will be just as good.
    Who said anything about airbrushing? I didn't. Nor would I for a portfolio shoot.

Agencies want to show models that can portray a variety of looks, if a model comes in with a variety of looks, then there's a much more likely chance of them being signed to the agency, and so on.

there's just no point paying for photos! agencies aren't going to pay attention to professional photos. they just want to know what you look like! not what you look like all done up and photoshopped to ****. besides you mightn't have what it takes at all and if you go into an agency they'll tell you. so spending money on photos would just be a waste

there's just no point paying for photos! agencies aren't going to pay attention to professional photos. they just want to know what you look like! not what you look like all done up and photoshopped to ****. besides you mightn't have what it takes at all and if you go into an agency they'll tell you. so spending money on photos would just be a waste

You have no idea do you.

When you go into that interview, if you don't have a portfolio ready (note the word portfolio, not selection of shots airbrushed to **** and back), if you don't have it, you are showing how you came in half baked and aren't prepared enough even for the interview let alone a modelling career.

Your portfolio will show you in different lights, poses, colours etc and will demonstrate the range where you fit in. This is standard practice and helps the interviewer see what you are like.

Now, you can get a mate to snap away but if I were doing this, I would get a proper portfolio made up and use that.

I think what the guys are saying here is that to get into the model industry, unless you are spotted by someone from an agency, it is wise to get a few semi-professional shots done. Having a selection of shots to show the agency will show your willingness to take a career in modelling serious and not some idea you decided on the weekend with your mates. The agencies probably get a lot of people coming in saying they want to model. If you have a portfolio of some sort ready to show the agencies it will look better in your favour.

I'm not sure what this site is like but you could check out http://www.folio32.com/

You could start networking with photographers and make-up artists to work for prints on shoots. So no payment!

Also, maybe try contacting colleges that run photography courses and see if their students need models. D.L.I.A.D.T has a photography and make-up course so you could kill two birds with the one stone...?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I'd have to agree with Fajitas on this one. Considering the guy is constantly working with model photography, and all sorts of photography, I think he knows his stuff somewhat. If you invest a tiny bit into getting proper pics for a portfolio, it will probably be quite helpful.

If you wanted to work as an artist for a big company, and showed up with a doodle on a piece of copybook paper from a school notebook, instead of a portfolio of your best work... that's about the same as a comparison.

OP: I'd nearly suggest that popping your head into the boards photography forum, you might get one or two willing to do a favour for antoher boardsie, or get some model shots they can use in their own portfolio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 martin the photographer

make sure that you have your parents permission if you are going to get your photos done professionally as you are under 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Excellent advice but as this thread was posted in 2008 I think it might be a tad late for the original poster.

/Thread closed

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement