Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Oz

Options
  • 23-07-2008 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hi, I started a thread in the art & architecture forum about working in London, not realising that this forum existed. I was just wondering have any of you had experience working in Oz?

I just finished my hons degree in architectural technology in england and have been looking for work for over 8 weeks now. I am looking into working in London, however I don't feel 100% happy about relocating to London but will do it if I have to.

However, australia is somewhere that appeals to me. I realise I could only get a max of 6months in any 1 office with the holiday visa, but at least there seems to be work there, and a possibility of being sponsored. I have around 2years experience, gained during college with no post grad experience. I've been in touch with an agency in Oz and they said I would have to accept any kind of work until I get my foot in the door and then it will get easier as I gain experience.

Has anyone tried to work in oz with no post grad experience or know of anyone that has done it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,127 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Bobon wrote: »
    Hi, I started a thread in the art & architecture forum about working in London, not realising that this forum existed. I was just wondering have any of you had experience working in Oz?

I just finished my hons degree in architectural technology in england and have been looking for work for over 8 weeks now. I am looking into working in London, however I don't feel 100% happy about relocating to London but will do it if I have to.

However, australia is somewhere that appeals to me. I realise I could only get a max of 6months in any 1 office with the holiday visa, but at least there seems to be work there, and a possibility of being sponsored. I have around 2years experience, gained during college with no post grad experience. I've been in touch with an agency in Oz and they said I would have to accept any kind of work until I get my foot in the door and then it will get easier as I gain experience.

Has anyone tried to work in oz with no post grad experience or know of anyone that has done it?
    This needs a thread of its own. Strictly speaking these issues shouldn't really be posted here but we will review this in the near future.

I'll start a new thread and move this

Here we go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

Bobon wrote: »

I'm in Oz at the minute. 1 year working hol VISA. Was pretty easy to get a job. I didn't go through an agency, just applied directly to office, as I think they prefer when you do that. I think the bit in bold is a load of b0ll0x. I reckon they're just saying that to get you to take a job quickly. From my experince you'll be able to talk to a few firms and pick and choose the type of job you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Thats interesting One cold hand. Did you have any experience before you got over there?

18 months post grad.

btw, I'm an architect, as opposed to a technician (cue the cries: 'get out of our forum!'), but I assume it's a similar situation in terms of jobs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

18 months post grad.

btw, I'm an architect, as opposed to a technician (cue the cries: 'get out of our forum!'), but I assume it's a similar situation in terms of jobs.

boo hisss:D

btw, I'm an architect, as opposed to a technician
    Memo to all mods: Keep an eye on this guy ;)

Well it's good to know that every post I make is going to be ridiculed, no matter what! Cheers...

Well it's good to know that every post I make is going to be ridiculed, no matter what! Cheers...
    I think you should look at my last post again and see that there is a little wink at the end.

Dont read things that aren't there.

You are more than welcome to post here and will be treated no differently than anyone else.

You may get a little light hearted slagging off but its all in jest but that goes with the territory :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

18 months post grad.

Not quite one cold hand, yes jobs are there for technicians in Oz but unlike Architects we are currrently not on the skills list for permanent visa's, we can only go on holiday, visas or on sponsered visas. Sponsered visas are fine if you're young free and single but if you've got a family then it means you have to pay for their schooling etc etc as you dont have the same rights as on a permanent visa for the first few years. Also as far as I am concerned you're more than welcome in this forum, sometimes its good to get a different view of things!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Bobon

Thanks for the info, One cold hand.

muffler wrote: »
    I think you should look at my last post again and see that there is a little wink at the end.

Dont read things that aren't there.

You are more than welcome to post here and will be treated no differently than anyone else.

You may get a little light hearted slagging off but its all in jest but that goes with the territory :).

I know well you we're only messin'!! I was only messing too!
    My bad, should have used a few smileys in my post!!;):D:)
    I love a bit of banter!

No6, yeah you're probably right. But then if you have a family then I guess moving to the other side of the world if going to be pretty difficult, no matter how easy it to get a job. The OP said he'd just graduated so I assumed that he wasn't married with 7 kids. Never a good idea to make assumptions though!
    TBH I don't know that much about the permanent visa myself, as I'm only on the Working Holiday. But I found it easy enough to pick up a job, and a few of the companies I had interviews with offered me Sponsorship for a 4 year visa straight away.
    I think it's very hard to get a permanent visa straight away. I certainly didn't qualify! I think you need a good bit of post grad experience. I think the route most people go is to move over, get sponsorship for about 4 years, then apply for the permanent visa.

Advertisement