Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

• 23-07-2008 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi,
    I have a Bachelor's degree in arts (languages) which I obtained abroad.I believe that it is recognised in Ireland. I have also done the foundation level (year 1) of IATI of which I acquired a distinction result.
    I am interested in becoming a Chartered Accountant.Thus a contracted training is inevitable.
    I am not sure if I will be considered as graduate regarding the entry route as my major in university was far far away from accounting.If I choose to enter as school leaver,the contract will be 5 yrs long!I might try to apply for a graduate position but the chance is apparently low?
    I wonder which choice is the best as far as long-term benefit is concerned:
    1 finish IATI then join CA training
    2 get a degree in accounting then join the training
    3 try to join the training now,which can probably lead to 5 yrs contract or luckily a 3.5 yrs contract.

I don't have any work experiences in accounting.And as I am not very young (28),time is also an issue.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭shewasoctober

Well, I am from the US and obtained a BA in Literature in the US. I am 26, and I have recently signed a 3.5 year training contract and will begin by study to become a CA at the CAP1 level. So, as long as you have a recognised 4 year degree, you can begin training and studying once you register with the ICAI.

NOTE: If you are wanting to do this now, you will need to register soon because the deadline is in August. You will need to have your transcripts to send in with your exemption form (you need to fill this out regardless of whether you are claiming any or not as it is the standard form).

As long as you have a recognised degree and you graduated with the equivalent of a 2.2, it shouldn't be too hard for you to find a position, especially in Dublin.

Cheers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 keiran

Well, I am from the US and obtained a BA in Literature in the US. I am 26, and I have recently signed a 3.5 year training contract and will begin by study to become a CA at the CAP1 level. So, as long as you have a recognised 4 year degree, you can begin training and studying once you register with the ICAI.

NOTE: If you are wanting to do this now, you will need to register soon because the deadline is in August. You will need to have your transcripts to send in with your exemption form (you need to fill this out regardless of whether you are claiming any or not as it is the standard form).

As long as you have a recognised degree and you graduated with the equivalent of a 2.2, it shouldn't be too hard for you to find a position, especially in Dublin.

Cheers!

Thanks indeed.
    I enquired ICAI by email.And I was told that I'm alright for 3.5 yrs training.It's great.
    But it seems all the training providers have already finished their recruitement of this year.(I sent CV to almost all of them)
    If I go for the pre-contract option,I'd have to pay the fees by myself.:(

I know all the big firms aren't looking, though they will be starting the recruitment process for Autumn 2009 soon. You still may be able to find a small practice with an opening. It depends on location.

Unfortunately, you will have to pay for everything if you study pre-contract. You could always keep sending your CV out. I went on goldenpages.ie and started contacting all the practices I could find. Quite a few hire year round. You could get your ICAI exemption form and transcripts together to drop off by the deadline if you find something between now and then. Also, don't hesitate to ring the practices.

Good luck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

I know all the big firms aren't looking, though they will be starting the recruitment process for Autumn 2009 soon. You still may be able to find a small practice with an opening. It depends on location.

Unfortunately, you will have to pay for everything if you study pre-contract. You could always keep sending your CV out. I went on goldenpages.ie and started contacting all the practices I could find. Quite a few hire year round. You could get your ICAI exemption form and transcripts together to drop off by the deadline if you find something between now and then. Also, don't hesitate to ring the practices.

Good luck.

+1

Remember, alot of people may have failed their finals and lost their contract offer as a result, opening up spaces for late applicants!

Note: The ICAI deadline is this Friday, August 1, 2008.

• Advertisement
Advertisement