Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If you had to nuke an Irish town ...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

Mullingar :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭CPT. SURF

Ballyraggit, Co. Kilkenny. I dare anyone to go there.

Either that or Durrow, Co. Laois. Absolute kip of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Trippie

I know its not in Ireland but just back from blackpool and if ever a place had to be levelled then this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Dublin, so that we can build the place properly this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Kilmallock or "Anythwere in Limerick". Tough choices.
    If we're talking a 'smart bomb', then I'd choose Dublin. Leave everything in tact, just remove the people. Bliss.
    Otherwise, Sligo. Goodbye Áine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

blackpool wtf?? great beach, world class theme park, similiar accommodation for 1/4 the price of dublin and fine nightlife, much cheaper beer than back home too

blackpool certainly ain't the best place i have ever been but its a great laugh for a weekend break in the middle of summer, too many auld ones on the pull though :(

Trippie whats your opinion of a decent town i would like to know :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,543 ✭✭✭Duff

Drawwda without a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

athlone - worst few hours of my life when i was there

Indeed. The phrase town pride doesnt resonate there, every Athlone person Ive ever met hates it even more than people who have had the misfortune to pass through it. All I remember from the railway line is an extremely large abandoned building, a good few seemingly derelict old council houses and a halting site or two.

Recall once at a party a mate of mine crashing and burning trying to impress a lethal looking yoke from there (was the spit of Cheryl from Girls Aloud. :) x 20 jizzillion ). Went along the lines of

"Ah Athlone yeah, only passed through it. Looks a lovely spot, Ill hafta stall down sometime"
    "Lovely? Its a ****ing kip!"

Cue two minutes of ranting about the exact grade and calibre of kip the town is.

Am I alone in voting Galway? An overrated permanently wet windy tourist trap whos only purpose is to bleed out of towners of their dosh and to con European tourists into believing it is some sort of alternative bohemian cultural mecca full of artists, street performers, musicians and general beardy hipster troubadours who go where the winds take them. Cromwell was right, Id sooner go to hell.

And how many Supermacs does the town and area around have? I wouldnt be surprised to see one poking out the back of someones back garden.

And tbh the weather during a Galway nuclear winter is bound to be better than that during a normal Galway summer.
    LOTP wrote: »
    Bray is more of a hole than a town

Ah stop. Bray is great for an all day outdoor session if the weather is agreeable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

Has to be Longford Town, for their inability to park.

Oh, and Kildare Town, for being total muck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

Also had the pleasure of visiting Manorhamilton Co Leitrim some years ago. On a wet day it looks like the set of Angelas Ashes. As does Loughrea outside Galway.

Granard Co Longford is another horror show.

Dundalk seems to be a small village that was suddenly surrounded by acres of pretty rough looking housing estates.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

Sorry but I'm gonna say Longford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,158 ✭✭✭COH

Tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Not on the poll but Arklow. Lived there for 10 years. What a depressing town.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

shane86 wrote: »

And tbh the weather during a Galway nuclear winter is bound to be better than that during a normal Galway summer.

it was over 20 degrees today in galway and sunny, forecast 24 tomorrow and sunny, dublin is forecast rain ;) you were in galway once, it rained get over it :P if you think galway is wet and windy (it ain't) try bundoran in co donegal on for size :eek:
    shane86 wrote:

Indeed. The phrase town pride doesnt resonate there, every Athlone person Ive ever met hates it even more than people who have had the misfortune to pass through it. All I remember from the railway line is an extremely large abandoned building, a good few seemingly derelict old council houses and a halting site or two.

because no other town in ireland has a derelict housing estate or two, certainly not dublin :rolleyes: that housing estate is either battery heights or st mels, yes they both suck and they suck bad but seriously athlone on a saturday night is a fine town. two very good shopping centres in the middle of town and some lovely scenery close by, go boating on lough ree to see what i mean.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cork "city" (yeah right), the whole country would breath a collective sigh of relief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Has to be Cork - maybe it'll put an end to their 'rebellion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭sharkDawg

Athlone and its heroin addicts.....kaboom

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Oh, and Kildare Town, for being total muck.

Jesus yes that is a serious nothing town. I forgot about there while nominating Athy earlier. Kildare town runs its very close.

Just realised both of my towns to avoid are in Kildare, i actually like that county. Naas & Newbridge are grand & i played for a football team in Castledermot for years. So nothing against Kildare in general, but Athy & Kildare town are horrible places.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 398 ✭✭Benny-c

Had the 'pleasure' to spend 1.5years in Castlebar, Co. Mayo.

Castlebar.................kaBOOM:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Bye Bye Fermoy - ye won't be such a "tidy town" anymore!

EDIT: Oh and Doneraile. Nice park and nice wildlife, but the people from there I've come across are either total scumbags or just irritating twats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i said Portarlington.... met few people from there - they were a bit .. odd ... the whole place is just a diversion from where your actually going....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

If Tipperary town was there, I'd choose it. I was unfortunate to meet 3 nasty people at seperate times who came from there. I'm sure everybody else from there is nice though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ballyjamesduff - KABLOOIE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

no one said clonmel

i live there and i hate it:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

kelle wrote: »
    If Tipperary town was there, I'd choose it. I was unfortunate to meet 3 nasty people at seperate times who came from there. I'm sure everybody else from there is nice though...
    no one said clonmel

i live there and i hate it:mad:

i'd vote for roscrea.....i have my reasons :mad:

maybe just all of tipperary :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus calling for the anihilation of Bray.

But I'd like to nuke it twice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

orestes wrote: »
    Ballyjamesduff - KABLOOIE!

I lived a few miles from there. I can just point and laugh when I see the burning bodies. :)

On topic, Dublin, no more mockery of us poor culchies. We can eat our hang sangwiches in peace. ;_;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Tralee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Ruu wrote: »
    I lived a few miles from there. I can just point and laugh when I see the burning bodies. :)

On topic, Dublin, no more mockery of us poor culchies. We can eat our hang sangwiches in peace. ;_;

If it was Virginia you lived in it will probably get caught up in the blast, sorry ruu but I'm willing to make the sacrifice :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

kelle wrote: »

Nope,unfortunately,the town is full of them

Advertisement