Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions

Options
  • 23-07-2008 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭

Im on eircom 2mbs with the low download/upload limit of 20gb no problems so far.
    I use the wireless for my laptop the guy i live with uses his on it too and the ps3 as well.
    For the past 2 months the limit has been exceeded and i can safely say its not me i mainly just surf the web and the odd night of online gaming, the guy i live with on the other hand sits online for almost all day every day downloading/ streaming tv programs and films.
    Now this month the download is already 2gb over the 20gb limit as of today 22/7 and climbing and with 8 days left this month i can see it going over 30gb.
    As far i have seen eircom dont seem to charge or limit speeds in order to stop excessive downloading but the day they do he is paying.

Im looking for a prevention rather than a cure Ive told him about the limits and what might happen but that hasnt worked.
    Is it possible to limit what can be downloaded or just allow surfing no downloads over a certain size or streaming bittorrents and stuff.
    Oh and its also killing the so far pretty consistant speed that i have had
    Basicly keep the limit within the limit.
    The broadband account is my name i set the router password and everything so i have as much access as possible
    Any ideas and suggestions would be welcome

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 suntreader

The only way is to install a router/firewall with traffic metering/filtering capabilities. These can also be relatively difficult to setup and maintain.

By far the easiest way to deal with this is to cut him off when you get to two thirds of your limit if he won't play ball or tell him to get his own connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

i think ya can limit the access on wireles and the speed trough qos, search for it, one of the mods posted how to do it

Advertisement