Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camera Insurance advice required

• 23-07-2008 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭

Travelling on holidays to OZ in Sept and need to get some insurance for my Canon D5 and lenses. Any advice welcome on where I might get some insurance cover.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭xshayx

I got mine added to the house insurance when I was away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I got mine with 123

Basically I got the cheapest house insurance possible and the
    camera is covered under that. You can also pay more and cover
    it for accidental damage.

They cover you for up to 60 days outside Ireland.

You also don't have to specifically mention any item unless it
    costs more than 1500€ individually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

guys, just be careful of the excesses that is on your policy. normally cheaper means higher excess. Also when you take out the insurance make sure you note it on your policy that you have the equipment. I have it on my own house insurance but i have it all specified.

Aparantly PJT and FBD offer cover for photography equipment insured on it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

Balfey - do you have any further info on FBD insuring camera equipment on its own?? i have home insurance with them and as soon as i saw this thread i went onto their site and had a snoop around.

i found this thread very interesting as i'm soon going on a holiday to a place where there seems to be a high risk of robbery!!! This thread has made me think that it would be fairly clever to insure my gear!!

Balfey - do you have any further info on FBD insuring camera equipment on its own?? i have home insurance with them and as soon as i saw this thread i went onto their site and had a snoop around.

i found this thread very interesting as i'm soon going on a holiday to a place where there seems to be a high risk of robbery!!! This thread has made me think that it would be fairly clever to insure my gear!!

check out this thread. give FBD a call.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055221932&highlight=insurance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

Balfey1972 wrote: »

Checked out my local FBD office today - they gave me an "All Risk Proposal Form" to complete giving details of camera body and lenses (Serial no.'s included).
    Worldwide cover is provided for loss, theft and breakage. Cost is roughly €10 per €1,000 of value covered. Thanks to all for the help.

Checked out my local FBD office today - they gave me an "All Risk Proposal Form" to complete giving details of camera body and lenses (Serial no.'s included).
    Worldwide cover is provided for loss, theft and breakage. Cost is roughly €10 per €1,000 of value covered. Thanks to all for the help.

Just make sure you check the small print regarding travel. normally they restrict to 60 days. however on normal business policies and stand alone all risk policies they give unlimited worldwide cover.

I work in the insurance game for my sins, i don't know the ins and outs of the FBD policy but it is worth the question especially if you are travelling for more than that period. Also just check out what the policy excess is. should be about €75 or so on a stand alone.

Anyways hopefully you won't need it, but like a good golfer and poker player, 'hindsight' is a wonderful thing. When you think about it, it is 1% of the value of your kit to insure it. no brainer. remember it covers accidential damage, so in the event of the camera body or lens being dropped that is covered also.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭what to do?

FBD refused me worldwide cover........

just got EU cover. 60 days

will they not give you worldwide even wth a higher excess?

Advertisement