Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Republic of Plato

• 23-07-2008 9:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

anyone here ever read it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I read it about a year ago. I found Plato's attitude toward censorship (he wanted to banish all the poets) and the truth (his rigged lottery and his noble lies) very interesting.
    It would appear to me that Plato felt that the majority of people were part of the herd and needed to be fed myths and lies in order to keep them happy. After reading the republic, It reninforced my opinion that religion and myth (along with the idea of justice) was really something that was constructed by the ruling powers in order to keep society in a state of harmony.
    Of course, The Republic has other themes that are also of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

When I read about this I thought plato sounded like quite a nazi. Taking people's children away at birth for example. In my mind this would create universal apathy towards the children as opposed to universal parenthood.

And to joe's post I have a nice quote by Napoleon "Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."Although I think that it's unlikely that today's world religions were 'constructed' by a government to control any populations.Take the most obvious example of Christianity, adopted by roman emperors to keep the people happy, but not constructed by them. I think (on a separate note) without this to control people the government will have to find other means, which may lead to a 1984 type population control.

P.S I have not read it but read about it. I was wondering how hard it would be for someone with little philosophical experience to read (Plato as well as aristotle and other greek philosophers) , does it take some extra knowledge of greek civilisation or anything like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Joe1919

I think the Republic is reasonably readable but dont expect it to be a quick read.
    There is a very good synopsis available at http://www.btinternet.com/~glynhughes/squashed/plato.htm As regards the construction of myths, I think its something that everyone contributes to over time (they evolve) but certain myths are encouraged. I am not necessarly criticizing Plato for this. To Plato, the harmonisation of society was very important, more important than the truth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement