Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Skoda octavia vrs

Options
  • 23-07-2008 9:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Just wondering what people think of them as a car? have been lookin at them for a while but im not sure how easy they are to sell on again second hand, my main reason for going for it is that it has gti running gear which means their easy remap etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

Your best bet would be to post the same question on vagdrivers.net
    Few of the guys there have them and could advise you.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

Neilw wrote: »
    Your best bet would be to post the same question on vagdrivers.net
    Few of the guys there have them and could advise you.

Neil.

Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,407 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

check here too : http://briskoda.net/forums/

i think they are a great car. which version are you looking at?
    older shape = 1.8T, 180 bhp

or the

newer shape = 2.0T, 200 bhp?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭Kafer

PM sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Toon--soldier

kceire wrote: »
    check here too : http://briskoda.net/forums/

i think they are a great car. which version are you looking at?
    older shape = 1.8T, 180 bhp

or the

newer shape = 2.0T, 200 bhp?

the 1.8T 180bhp as far as i know i think you can get 230-240bhp out of them which is what attracts me most

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,786 ✭✭✭Neilw

My car has the same engine as the octavia your interested in.

To get the power to 240bhp would take more then just a remap, exhaust inc downpipe, cat, intake and front mount intercooler would all be needed for a sustainable 240bhp.

The problem is the intake temps get too high because the small side mount intercooler cannot handle the extra boost (heat generated) and therefor looses it's efficiency leading to the ecu retarding the timing at high rpm's and reducing power. It's worse on a hot day.

Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I can definately recommend one.Great value for such a brisk car and it wont be too much to run either.It is properly quick though.About 2 years ago, in my friends one, we timed 0-60mph in 8.4 seconds on an average road.I love the pickup when you floor it.The 20v engine gives brisk response in a way i feel the new 2.0 16v one cant.Comfort zone is great too.All have half leather sport seats and aircon.Only 16" wheels standard but they do the job.It wouldnt be too hard to find one with climate control and 17" rims.ASR is as standard but i suppose ESP would have been a wise fitment as well and should also be a desirable option when buying used.

They were(and are in current form) very popular in britain so that may be a good place to look.Theyre probably no great on co2, though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

Although I don't have a vRS, I do have an '02 with a similar, if less powered engine. I've a 1.8T 150bhp automatic. It was an import from the UK a few years back, so I bought it for a second car. I absolutely love it.

There's plenty of power in it, it feels solid as a rock and the auto, although power sapping, is a bit of a bonus cos I only drive it around town.

In 18 months I've put maybe 6k on the clock, so it only gets small spins, but I love every single spin.

I'd highly recommend a vRS. Try and get a UK one with xenons since the standard headlamps are not great, although you could install a bi-xenon HID kit in to them (without the autolevellers and washers).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

What MPG would you get with mixed driving in one of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

quarryman wrote: »
    What MPG would you get with mixed driving in one of these?

not sure if this is directed towards me or those with vRS's.

I get about 20-25mpg around town. But get about 36-38mpg out on the open road.

i do so few miles, it doesn't matter to me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Ahem - Sig - Ahem

On my long, Motorway all the way commute I'd be getting 35-40 mpg (once got 44mpg as traffic was a steady 55mph all the way home).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

cool thanks, sorry yeah, i meant the vRS.

Advertisement